Sign in to follow this  
jshots

How do you keep your game sharp in the winter?

Note: This thread is 3250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 posts / 3203 viewsLast Reply

In the past I just don't get any swinging in at all in the winter but I would like to change that. Another few months and (at least here in Colorado) courses will be closing up and there will be snow on the ground. What do you do to avoid having to spend a month in the spring finding your game again?

I go to Florida for a week around mid-March. Play 3-4 rds and I'm set for the season. But seriously, after playing for 35+ years, I don't "lose-it" over the winter much anyway. I may play the last round in November (NY/LI) and pick it back up in March or April without losing much of my game. Drives my playing buddies nuts. I might use the putting mat once in awhile to keep the stroke, but don't usually go to the range unless it's really warm enough to enjoy it. When I do go to FL after 3 or 4 months of no golf, It just seems to come back after 1/2 a bucket at the range before I go. I guess I'm lucky and blessed with good muscle memory.

I work out alot, i also do slow controlled swings inside, just take a wedge, practice some positions and swing path. It takes me a bit to get use to hitting turf again, but i don't loose much.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Slow controlled swings are a great thing to do any time of the season.  Great "chapter" in Penick's Little Red Book goes over the process of this.  I do it all the time and it seems to help me and my game.

I am going to start hitting the indoor range a couple times a week this winter.

I didn't the past two winters, and I want to see how much it helps my game.

I use a golf dome that is semi-local to me (30KM away).  It's not heated and it's rather expensive ($30 an hour, unlimited balls) but it's better than nothing!  I try to go only every couple weeks because of the price, but sometimes I'm there a couple times when the urge is too strong.

I don't like what it does to my swing though; by the end of the winter I'm picking the ball instead of hitting down on it.  It takes a bit of time to get back to taking divots when the outdoor ranges re-open.

I might do the same thing at the Turning Stone Golf Dome.  It's a little expensive but maybe a once or twice a month to maintain all my swing faults.  I've worked so hard at developing them, I'd hate to loose them through the Winter.

Originally Posted by bradsul

I use a golf dome that is semi-local to me (30KM away).  It's not heated and it's rather expensive ($30 an hour, unlimited balls) but it's better than nothing!  I try to go only every couple weeks because of the price, but sometimes I'm there a couple times when the urge is too strong.

I don't like what it does to my swing though; by the end of the winter I'm picking the ball instead of hitting down on it.  It takes a bit of time to get back to taking divots when the outdoor ranges re-open.

Outside of snow I will play all winter and if it's too cold I got a cart cover and propane heater it keeps the cart around 45-50 degrees.

Heated ranges when open and impact bag when they aren't combined with visits to local golf stores hitting on their simulators when they aren't busy.

We pretty much have to stop golfing in early November though courses officially close in late October and don't open up to late April or early May so it's a long winter. I have full access to our school gym so I usually take those nice 1/3 flight balls into the gym and hit them off a mat. I usually do a lot of chipping with them to work on the technique but I do a number of full swings. Usually do it 1-2 times a week. I also putt around 50 to 100 putts a night in our bedroom as our carpet is about a 10 on the stimp and is not level at all so I can also work on breaks. That was the best practice I did, took my average putts from around 36 or so down to an average of 29 putts and had one round this year with 23 putts.

I'm totally the opposite, don't touch a club, but I try to play golf in my head, I know that sounds weird, but hear me out.  I do try and spend time walking on my eliptical or walking the dog when the weather permits, but while I am doing that I am practicing in my head.  I try to put the image of the swing I want in my head and then I will play some of the courses that I like to play.  Also, as I am going to sleep at night, I will run through my head the putting stroke I'm trying to achieve.

I personally find that I pick up quicker in the spring if I practice these "mental" skills without letting the mechanics of the swing mess me up in the off season.

I don't do much swing related.  I take that time I do alot to work on my flexibilty over the winter.  I started that 3 years ago and that has helped my swing and added distance to my game.  I will chip and put a bit and make a trip or two the simulator, but nothing major game related.

For a few years my family vacations along the beach in Delaware just across the border from Maryland.  Last year I was leaving one of the restaurants when I saw a sign advertising winter golf packages.  It never occurred to me that people would be golfing all year within an 8 hour drive (or less) away but what a world of difference in climate.  We had 179 inches of snow last year with arctic cold.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Outside of snow I will play all winter and if it's too cold I got a cart cover and propane heater it keeps the cart around 45-50 degrees.

Second that. We're fortunate to be able to play 11 moths a year here (Grenoble, France). Got a 9 hole course 10 minutes from the office, so I try to play at lunchtime during the winter months.

Originally Posted by jshots

In the past I just don't get any swinging in at all in the winter but I would like to change that. Another few months and (at least here in Colorado) courses will be closing up and there will be snow on the ground. What do you do to avoid having to spend a month in the spring finding your game again?

I live in Colorado too, and most years I play all winter long.  My home course is open all year except when there's too much snow on the ground.  Usually there isn't much more than a month and a half or so where I can't play there.  Last winter I played on December 31.  I also missed out on a few chances to play in January and February after having hernia surgery.

Note: This thread is 3250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!