IGNORED

30 - 40 Yards from pin, better to pitch or chip?

Note: This thread is 4608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Chip. Pitch. Putt. I might do any of those three depending on the conditions...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Golf buddy and I always have debates on these shots.  I am more accurate pitching from these distances and he's much better at chipping.  His thought process is there's more chance for me to hit the ball fat or thin on a pitch and be left in worse shape than where a mishit chip would end up.  I'm not very good at chipping, but usually can put the ball within 15' pitching though admittedly I have had a few mishits that turned into blow up holes.  What is the preferred shot for these distances?

Like all such questions - it depends on the situation.  How far are you from the green?  What sort of terrain is between you and the green?  What sort of lie do you have?  What is the weather like (windy, wet and rainy, etc.)?  There is no single answer.  I evaluate the situation, then I make my decision.  I prefer to chip if it is a reasonable play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I sure there are as many definitions as there are swings. Here's what I mean:

Chip - Ball off trail foot. Hands forward. Short back and pop the ball. I'm taught to bruise the ground (I have a hard time with this). Ball gets on the ground "fast" and rolls out. Can be done with lots of clubs and the amount of carry vs. roll changes with the loft of the club. Idea is to get the ball rolling fast. Around the green, I am taught that the best chips land safely a yard or so on the green and roll to the hole. Select the club that will get the carry-to-roll ratio correct and it should be a low risk shot.

Pitch -- A mini-swing. Ball in regular full-swing position. Ball carries more than a chip and rolls out less. I only use wedges but others may use short irons.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Depends on the situation. If I got a lot of green to work with, I'll chip it. If not, I'll hit a pitch. Lie, angles, dangers and lots of stuff influence it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Thanks for the responses.  Usually the scenario is when we're off to the side of the green with not much green to work (course likes placing pins close to the edge of the green) with and our ball is in the 2nd cut or rough.  Most of the greens tend to be slightly elevated.  Weather is usually nice (no rain), but wind conditions vary.

Joe Paradiso

not much green = flop shot

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Note: This thread is 4608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!