IGNORED

What is the real difference between Titleist Prov1 and Prov1x Balls

Dizzy
Note: This thread is 3114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I thought pro v1 spins more and has more side spin?

I also havent read any thing about this but when I was at my local golf store I was hitting some balls on the monitor and then I went to check out with a sleeve or 2 of the pro v1s and I asked the guy about v1 vs v1x and he said that v1x is for faster swing speeds so I should definitely be using those?

This whole thread has gotten me really confused on the differences. I thought I loked the v1x because it is"longer" and less side spin while still having alot of response around the green. I never tried the pro v1s really besides the occasional find. I may have to unless some body and confirm anything with facts.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

As far as playing the ProV1/Prov1x or a cheaper ball when you are just learning:  I say go with the ProV1/x.  It is true that you won't see much difference unless you make good contact, but I think you will learn to make good contact around the greens faster when you have the feedback from a good ball.

I started playing the ProV1x before I really could use it fully, but the first time I hit a 30 yard pitch and the ball took one hop and stopped on a dime, it was a revelation.  I always thought you had to hit the ball hard to generate that much spin and the pros were somehow magicians.  But all it takes is a good lie and good contact.

You can buy ProV1/x used online for like $12 a dozen depending on condition.

Originally Posted by OldManBirdie

"In essence, you give up a little distance for enhanced spin. One additional thing that I will add to this discussion has to do with the ProV(1x) and side spin. Side spin makes the ball go sideways and a ProV(1x) will go sideways harder..." (MybloodinVt)

I have been playing the ProV1x for the past three years.  Purchasing the Pro V1x (X-outs) are a whole lot cheaper than $50 per dozen of the regular Pro V1's.  The side-spin on the Pro V1x is huge compared to the Pro V1.  And, it has taken me 2.75 years to discover this.

I am no longer hitting shots hard to the left or right when using the Pro V1.  My distance is about the same off the tee and with 8 iron through GW.  The back-spin is a mystery to me.  While the Pro V1 is supposed to spin more than the Pro V1x, I am finding the opposite to be true.  Chipping the ball off of a tight lie is a good way to determine how each ball behaves on the greens for me.  I use a 54/8 sandwedge to chip and the Pro V1x hits and stops faster than the Pro V1.  How is that possible?

I am a 5.1 GHIN.

The V1x is designed to have lower spin on the driver, woods, and maybe long irons so I'm confused that you indicate the opposite is true.

I do, however, agree with your other observation about wedge spin, and I noticed that many other people in this thread and elsewhere have a misconception about the wedge spin difference b/w the V1 and V1x. The V1x has MORE spin on shots around the green/inside 100 yards than the V1. Someone above posted an article that confirmed this; as do the wedge spin comparison charts in Golf Digest's annual golf ball hot list for the past few years.  I think many people get confused b/c Titleist indicates that the V1x has lower driver spin, and they think that applies to all clubs and all shots.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

I thought pro v1 spins more and has more side spin?

I also havent read any thing about this but when I was at my local golf store I was hitting some balls on the monitor and then I went to check out with a sleeve or 2 of the pro v1s and I asked the guy about v1 vs v1x and he said that v1x is for faster swing speeds so I should definitely be using those?

This whole thread has gotten me really confused on the differences. I thought I loked the v1x because it is"longer" and less side spin while still having alot of response around the green. I never tried the pro v1s really besides the occasional find. I may have to unless some body and confirm anything with facts.

You can reference my other post, but your statement/question above is correct.  The V1 has more spin off the driver, but less spin on wedge shots.  I'm not saying that it won't check up nicely on approaches and chips, or that you can't spin it back.  I'm just saying that the V1x has lower long game spin and more short game spin.

I'd try a couple of each and make your own decision. Personally I don't like the way the ProV1 or any Titleist feels so I don't even pick them up when I find them in the weeds. I experimented with a few different balls this year and found I like the Q-Star and the Noodle+ the best.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nope...The Pro V1x does have way more side spin than the Pro V1.  I carry at least a dozen of each in my bag and when playing and practicing on the golf course alone in the early evening, I do the "blind techniqe" and tee up one of the Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf balls so I can't see which one I am hitting.

In >99% of the driver hits, the Pro V1x went way left or way right while the Pro V1 went down the middle or a little left or a little right.  Chipping was another matter.  Using the same blind technique, the Pro V1x stopped faster than the Pro V1 balls.

I'm not a scientist but seeing is believing.  I will continue to use the Pro V1 golf balls and not the Pro V1x golf balls.  Why not try another ball?  Because they don't go far and straight for me...I also have 13 grandchildren who give me gift certificates to Dick's Sporting Goods for birthdays and Holidays.  I have plenty of golf balls and the gifts allow me to purchase the Pro V1's.

Thanks to all.

OldManBirdie

The ProV balls spin more. So if you slice or hook the ball, they are going to slice or hook MORE.  I played the NXT Tour for a long time and for the money, it's a great ball.  Good feel, distance and durability.  They make it in an extra spin model now.  But I only play the Titleist balls when I find them anymore.  I have switched to Bridgestone B-330 series.

Not sure why anyone here thought the ProV1 spins more than the ProV1x. Titleist has made it very clear that it isnt the case, as a matter of fact, i think the info is even on the boxes.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ApocG10

Not sure why anyone here thought the ProV1 spins more than the ProV1x. Titleist has made it very clear that it isnt the case, as a matter of fact, i think the info is even on the boxes.

http://www.titleist.com/golf-balls/Pro-V1.aspx

http://www.titleist.com/golf-balls/Pro-V1x.aspx

Because the Pro V1 is touted - by Titleist - as the "softer" and "spinnier" version of the ball.

I'll remove the duplicates and you're left with:

Pro V1x Player Benefits

• Low long game spin
  • Soft feel on all shots

Pro V1 Player Benefits

• Very soft feel on all shots

So... there you have it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Because the Pro V1 is touted - by Titleist - as the "softer" and "spinnier" version of the ball.

Pro V1x Player Benefits

Low long game spin

Soft feel on all shots

Pro V1 Player Benefits

Very soft feel on all shots

So... there you have it.

Fair enough, I guess I was wrong. I always thought the V1x had more spin off the greens (I knew the they claimed less off the woods/long irons). As a matter of fact, it was a titleist rep who told me that the ProV1 would benefit my game more than the 1x , and that is what I should play if I didnt need the extra spin of the 1x. Of course, I should know better than to think reps know their job. He looked upset when I told him that I had tried both, and the Penta TP5 was my ball.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Working in a golf shop makes it possible for me to get my hands on and play most of the balls on that list. I am always looking for a better ball. In the past year I have played at least 9 holes with Titleist ProV1/x, Srixon Z-Star, TaylorMade Penta TP5, Nike 20XI, Bridgestone B330 and E5, and Callaway HEX Black Tour. For me the Titleist ProV1 and ProV1x are the best. The ProV1/x has all the aspects I want in a golf ball. I play the x during the spring, summer, and fall and the ProV1 in the winter due to the firmer conditions.

Here are some of my thoughts on why the other balls don't match up IMHO:

Srixon Z-Star- Feels too firm in the short game, not enough greenside spin and control

TaylorMade Penta TP5 - Playability on par with Titleist but durability is a huge issue

Callaway HEX Black Tour - Same as The Taylormade, good playability but only lasts about 9 holes

Nike 20XI - Nike has never made a good ball in my opinion, feels way too firm in the short game yet spins way too much off the short irons

Bridgestone B330 and E5 : Much to firm in the short game the E5 feels like a rock.

These are just my opinions and other people I am sure will disagree. The only 3 balls I would even consider playing competitively are the Titleist, TaylorMade, and Callaway. The problems with the last two are I have to change balls in the middle of a round. I can easily get 18 holes and more on a Titleist and since I am not made of money that is important.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I have played both and for some reason I didnt care for them. I got a sleeve of top flite Gamer v2's from an outing and I fell in love with them. They are really soft and I can spin them and hold the green just about as good as with a pv1. The best part is they last along time unless u loose it. They dont scuff much with the wedges. For $16  they are a really good ball.

Originally Posted by iacas

Pro V1x Player Benefits

Low long game spin

Soft feel on all shots

Pro V1 Player Benefits

Very soft feel on all shots

So... there you have it.

I'm not sure this info proves your point.  I certainly don't dispute that the V1x has lower long game spin, but soft(er) feel does not necessarily equal more spin, particularly on full/partial wedge shots.

• 4 weeks later...

I Agree. Hate when people say you shouldn't play that ball if your not good enough. A better statement would be, if you can afford them, and to lose them, you still wont see the benefit of using this ball until you make solid consistent contact. But overall, a great ball with awesome feel.

• 5 months later...

So if I understand this correctly the pro v1x plays longer on drives  and checks up faster on shorter shots? I have about a 90 mph swing speed which one should I use? Or should I use a distance ball like the titliest  velocity?

Originally Posted by club ho

So if I understand this correctly the pro v1x plays longer on drives  and checks up faster on shorter shots? I have about a 90 mph swing speed which one should I use? Or should I use a distance ball like the titliest  velocity?

As I understand, for a swing speed of 90mph, you won't see much difference between the ProV1 and X.  There is more of a difference at swing speeds of 100+ or so.  If you're looking for more distance then I'd say the velocity or ProV1X if it is to make a difference.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Originally Posted by hammerhead

I have played both and for some reason I didnt care for them. I got a sleeve of top flite Gamer v2's from an outing and I fell in love with them. They are really soft and I can spin them and hold the green just about as good as with a pv1. The best part is they last along time unless u loose it. They dont scuff much with the wedges. For $16  they are a really good ball.

Love playing Top-Flites.  Would love a college-themed visor.

I live on a hole where a lot of slicers end up in my back yard.  My neighbor lets me get them out of her yard too, the majority of balls I find are Pro V1, and Pro V1x (2 today).  So, take all this advice with a grain.  Play the cheap ones until you understand what a ball is doing.

Note: This thread is 3114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!