IGNORED

When "Breaking 80" is not always "Breaking 80"

Roblar
Note: This thread is 4309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The scorecard doesn't say "it may be 80 but its not a real 80." Well done for breaking 80, several times, and I hope you continue to improve. At the end of the day you still have to get it off the tee, you still have to recover from the rough, youn still have to hit the greens and you still have to sink the putts. Its a genuine score whatever others may think.

I break 80 pretty much every time I go out on the course. I don't see my golf being any different from yours. It a club, ball and a course to beat. Let's not over complicate it by saying its too short or there's not enough bunkers.

Is it still OK to have fun when we play golf, or must we always be upset because we didn't "do better" ...

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Roblar

I know this thread should be allowed to die a proper death, but six weeks after I started it, I've got an update.

I shot 79 from the tips at Westwood today (69.5/116; 6162yds).  I finally feel like I pulled it off -- I broke 80 without an asterisk.  ...

Congrats....that's a keeper in my book!!  Consider the asterisk gone....

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 8 months later...

Something weird happened.

A few weeks ago, I shot 77.

Then the next time out (about a week ago), I got all the lucky bounces, and managed a 73.

Got so excited I played the next day.

And again.

Apparently the world has been restored to order.

Then the next time out (about a week ago), I got all the lucky bounces, and managed a 73.

And again.

Don't sell yourself short, you posted some great scores and unless you own that dog from the Traveler's Insurance commercials, that was "all you".  Congrats and it looks like all the hard work you put in is starting to pay some dividends.  Keep on truckin'.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

And again.

Welcome to the world of Golf.....

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Congratulations on breaking 80, and I don't think it is cheating. I play on a short (6016 yards) par 70, with water in play on every hole, small firm greens and OB on several holes as well. When I break 80 I'm always happy. No matter how long or short the course, you still need to make the shots and get the ball in the hole.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5* , Aldila RIP’d stiff shaft (60g).

Ping G10 15* Hybrid
Callaway Heavan Wood 19* Hybrid
Putter: T-Line XXIV Tommy Armour

Ping i/3 Irons green dot
Cleveland 60* Lob wedge, Ping 56* Sand wedge, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52* wedge, Ping 48* wedge.

Ball: TaylorMade

Of course there is a difference between shooting 79 on an easy course compared to a tougher course. Your recieved amount of strokes should tell you as much. I don't care too much about comparing courses to one another. Also, a 79 is just one shot better than 80, no big fuzz, though it is a nice milestone. I shot under 80 on a par 68, somewhat short course, but didn't acknowledge it fully myself until I shot 77 on a longer par 72 course. Both were good scores, but when par is four strokes lower, it will affect your score. If you compare two par 72 courses, one being short and sloped 113, the other long and sloped 150, I would no doubt rank a 79 on the tougher course higher. Sure, distance is not everything. I should know, having played a lot of difficult, short courses. But still, it takes a different game to play consistently and hit greens when you are hitting driver, woods and long irons a lot. A GIR with a 4 iron is more difficult than a GIR with a 9 iron.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The best way to compare a score against other scores is by calculating the difference between the course rating and the score...... course par is not relevant.

Lets say you shoot 90 on 2 different courses:

1. Par 70 course with a a 71.5CR

2. Par 72 course with a 69.5CR

The answer is simple.....the 90 on the par70 course is the better score by 2 full strokes

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I just shot 80 the other day, and it was from the whites and par was 71, 6060 yards. I was sort of hard on myself after it too, like you were, because the course wasn't 6900 yards and extremely difficult. I think that's what watching so much pro golf does to you. Shooting a low score anywhere is hard for someone who isn't close to a 5 hcp, I'd say. Just gotta be happy with your low round, and keep chuggin along!

Note: This thread is 4309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!