IGNORED

Thinking about blades

codwater
Note: This thread is 4619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Pfft - the G20s will players' cavity backs compared to these.

I will have nightmares about these

I picture an old rusty snow shovel, cut down with some electrical tape wrapped around the handle.

I hear the twang as ball meets face....there is no loss of distance for hitting the ball on the toe, it all goes equally as far. A full swing rewards you with 15 yards.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

What your looking for is a set of Rat Clubs. The Salvation Army Golf Emporium probably has them, if not, a bath in salt water followed by spray paint works wonders.  After spray painting you set them on fire!  (A little battery acid wouldn't hurt.)

PS: I have never seen a set of rat golf clubs, Cars, and bikes...but never clubs. There's a class for rats at Harley shows.

AMF Harleys.....AMF Hogans!   Thanks for the idea.

Originally Posted by sean_miller The second set would be as fugly as they needed to be in order to get the ball exactly where I wanted it after every stroke. They'd likely be gawdawful things aesthetically.  My old SM carry bag wouldn't even be able to contain the ginormous clubheads and my new staff bag (on a cart) would have the raincover (which would never come off in order to protect innocent bystanders from seeing their grotesque form in the light of day) bulging to near bursting in order to cover them all up. I'd list a few examples, but these babies aren't even on the market yet.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Man I can imagine the feeling of someone playing a CB gets when they hit it closer than someone playing a blades. A serious golfer plays to shoot the lowest score they possibly can on every hole. They don't play clubs to have a feeling of being good or possibly sacrifice strokes just to be playing a certain type of club.

You seemed to have missed my points:

1)  Being able to hit a great shot with a much more difficult club to hit with is a lot more satisfying than hitting the same great shot with a much easier club to hit with. That's just human nature.

2)  A big part of golf is confidence, and for a lot of us, the equipment we play plays a big role in instilling that confidence............i personally like addressing a ball with a blade with a thin topline and little to no offset versus a thick topline and a ton of offset. The blade just feels better in my hands and that "better feeling" helps instill more confidence.

The bottom line is use what you want to use and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

• Upvote 1

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

1) Blades make the shot easier. That is why pros use them.  If you have 100k riding on a shot, you use what gets the job done most effectively. There is something about beating a player who thinks they are good enough to use pro gear when it turns don't have the game for it.

But feel free to use whatever you want. There are guys out there playing with hickory shafts that make your blades look like super game improvement irons. As long as they have fun who cares.

Originally Posted by ERdiesel

You seemed to have missed my points:

1)  Being able to hit a great shot with a much more difficult club to hit with is a lot more satisfying than hitting the same great shot with a much easier club to hit with. That's just human nature.

2)  A big part of golf is confidence, and for a lot of us, the equipment we play plays a big role in instilling that confidence............i personally like addressing a ball with a blade with a thin topline and little to no offset versus a thick topline and a ton of offset. The blade just feels better in my hands and that "better feeling" helps instill more confidence.

The bottom line is use what you want to use and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I think blades give you a more accurate shot when flushed over a CB.

CB's are less punishing on less than flushed shots.

I played the original Nike Combos - loved the blades in 8-PW. I also played Miura 201s - a blade disgused as a CB - lol. Those were surgical instruments!

I don't play as much as I once did -- so I now play GI irons -- it's fun. But still, blades in the higher irons ... nice idea.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think blades give you a more accurate shot when flushed over a CB.

CB's are less punishing on less than flushed shots.

I played the original Nike Combos - loved the blades in 8-PW. I also played Miura 201s - a blade disgused as a CB - lol. Those were surgical instruments!

I don't play as much as I once did -- so I now play GI irons -- it's fun. But still, blades in the higher irons ... nice idea.

It's been proven that blades go farther and have a tighter dispersion on flushed shots, yes.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

It's been proven that blades go farther and have a tighter dispersion on flushed shots, yes.

Not disagreeing with you, but where/how was this proven?  Do you have a link to a study/results?  How much farther?

Sorry, if this is common sense.  I didn't know.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Not disagreeing with you, but where/how was this proven?  Do you have a link to a study/results?  How much farther?

Sorry, if this is common sense.  I didn't know.

I've seen studies where they have an Iron Byron-type machine hit balls on around the face of blades and cavity backs at the same swing speed and they measured the results. I've seen things like this a few times, but I don't remember specific links. I'll try to find it. EDIT: Here's one link: http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/golf+equipment/5-2032-Blades_Versus_Cavity_Backs_A_Golf_Club_Epiphany.html I wish I could find one that at least has some more numbers. I'll keep looking.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

I've seen studies where they have an Iron Byron-type machine hit balls on around the face of blades and cavity backs at the same swing speed and they measured the results. I've seen things like this a few times, but I don't remember specific links. I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here's one link: http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/golf+equipment/5-2032-Blades_Versus_Cavity_Backs_A_Golf_Club_Epiphany.html

I wish I could find one that at least has some more numbers. I'll keep looking.

http://3jack.blogspot.com/2010/02/blades-vs-game-improvement-irons.html

I haven't seen anything recent. Do they still even use the iron Byron? In all the recent OEM adverts I've seen, it's player opinions (feel and perception) and trackman data.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Dr_Fu_Manchu

http://3jack.blogspot.com/2010/02/blades-vs-game-improvement-irons.html

I appreciate the responses and links, but this one is from 1988.  Seems like GI and SGI irons have come a long way since then, as I'm sure blades have too.

I'm surprised there aren't more current data/tests on this.  I'd be really interested in the comparison of today's GI's vs. blades.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Good videos TitleistWI.

Thanks.  That guy puts up a lot of good videos and he is really good about being brutally honest about blades.  He makes it very clear that anyone who is considering blades needs to realize that they dont offer much help, so your swing has to be very good and you need to know what youre doing.  He's also good about making it clear that no one NEEDS blades and that you can work the ball with just about any kind of iron.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I say hit whatever you perform best with. I think that 90% of the people that play blades would shoot better with a GI iron.  I work at a golf course and see a lot of people using blades that would be better off with something more forgiving.

I remember as a kid, we had an eccentric coach and he had his own style of teaching golf. He would give us a grass hook to cut grass of his lawn. At first I didn’t get the point, but later on I realized its benefits. The swing of grass hook is similar to the swing of golf club. This helped us improve our swing on the golf club. The grass hook was something like this: 0575320100502010009.jpg

Originally Posted by turnergeorge7

I remember as a kid, we had an eccentric coach and he had his own style of teaching golf. He would give us a grass hook to cut grass of his lawn. At first I didn’t get the point, but later on I realized its benefits. The swing of grass hook is similar to the swing of golf club. This helped us improve our swing on the golf club. The grass hook was something like this:

We used to call those "grass whips". I used one for part of almost every day while working at the Rimbey Golf Club during a couple summers. They're awesome. I posted some comments (and links) somewhere on here last year.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!