IGNORED

300 Yard carry back swing

Slowswing
Note: This thread is 4593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The difference between a 300 yard carry swing and a normal swing at .03X :

roryb.bmp

If you watch these videos side by side they aren't even in the same ball park. It's like the difference between a tee ball swing and a major league baseball swing...

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Williamevanl

If you watch these videos side by side they aren't even in the same ball park. It's like the difference between a tee ball swing and a major league baseball swing...

I don't know about that (will show up when it's done converting).

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mythbusters verdict; Inconclusive. I like it!

He's definitely got some speed while he's rotating. Doesn't maintain the shaft/wrist angle as well as Rory does on the way down, nor are his hips as open at impact. If Rory carries 300, would it be a reasonable guesstimate to say this guy carries 280? Not that it matters, I just found the comparison interesting.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

A 280 carry would still be thoroughly impressive...

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

missing.bmp That's interesting, I actually took note of where his backswing was equal with rorys. You can tell because we both started the sequence in the exact same spot. Check the first pic in my swing sequence and the still from your vid.

I'm not sure how we ended up with different comparisons though. I've got more frames coming from the OP's swing then I do Rory's with vls media player with there downswings synched up.

I see what it is, I don't have two off your rory frames, these: *above* it appears all media players are not created equal.

I just ordered a new driver yesterday! The one I had was ballooning quite a bit, I tried my cousins 2.0 x stiff cut to 45 and loved it. Felt like I could really go for it, my s flex felt like jello in comparison. I really just want to learn to chip and putt better!

[RIGHT][/RIGHT][quote name="iacas" url="/t/52975/300-yard-carry-back-swing/36#post_645765"]

[/quote] Very cool analyses! Thanks for taking the time, I love mythbusters btw.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Slowswing

Very cool analyses! Thanks for taking the time, I love mythbusters btw.

I do too. ;-)

As a show of thanks, get yourself an avatar.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Interesting analysis Erik.  I'm not a driving distance hater, as I carry it in the 260s with mid to low-mid ball flight and tend to get carry+roll in the 280-295 range, and even that distance gets hater remarks here.  Though even given that, I admit that originally looking at the OPs video I would have guessed carry more in the 275-280 range, rather than 300.

To the OP, whether your true carry is 275 or 310, you've got an impressive swing for how long you've been playing, and it's very smooth.  You say you're swinging out of your shoes (sandals), but it doesn't really look like it.  My stock advice for long hitting new players is to give up 10-15 yards on the driver to try to make the swing smooth and hit more fairways, but your swing already looks plenty smooth.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Quote:

I do too. ;-)

As a show of thanks, get yourself an avatar.

I also loved the "Back to the Future" in the background... "1.21 GIGAWATTSSS!!!!"

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

• Administrator

Originally Posted by te3point5

I also loved the "Back to the Future" in the background... "1.21 GIGAWATTSSS!!!!"

That's the ringtone I made for Dave. He called.

Originally Posted by Lofty Lefty

The best thing about that photo is the footwear! lol

And Rory McIlroy said you need metal spikes to swing it that fast and hit it that far! Classic.

Hahaha...I was going to post the same comment!!

Drilling the ball 300yds in the air wearing sandals....priceless

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by iacas

Hahaha...that is awesome!!!!!

My 2 cents.........you have confirmed the guy creates the speed necessary for such a drive.  Yes...equipment, launch angles, and ball spin-rates can alter the carry distance significantly, but I think that is enough to convince me that he kills it 300 carry from the tee.........Hey...that's just me!!!  Very nice analysis!!!!!

With that said, bombing it and scoring are two completely different things.

What's in Paul's Bag:

by the way....this is an extremely good swing for a beginner....I am impressed.

What's in Paul's Bag:

Thank you very much for the encouraging words. You are exactly right, whats the use in hitting it a good ways if you can't use your scoring clubs! I played the front nine twice today w/ out a driver and shot 48 / 48. My goal is 44. I had 17 putts the first 9 which isnt bad for me, actually my best in putts. Had four 1 putts so got up and down 4 times but I had a few crappy chips and had to chip out a couple times (due to no angle at the flag after tee shot). Second 9 I had 21 putts and shot a 48 again, a tad better tee to green but putting fell. Now, if I could just combine the putting from the front and the tee to green on the back I'd shoot 44 or better with just some better direction off the tee. In my defense today there was a serious cross wind of about 15-20 mph with some gusts that I think were pushing 30! I'd never played in the wind like this before. Very interesting and a challenge for sure. Would move a strait ball 20 yards left and shortened some of my wedges by 20 yards at times.

Originally Posted by Slowswing

Thank you very much for the encouraging words. You are exactly right, whats the use in hitting it a good ways if you can't use your scoring clubs! I played the front nine twice today w/ out a driver and shot 48 / 48. My goal is 44. I had 17 putts the first 9 which isnt bad for me, actually my best in putts. Had four 1 putts so got up and down 4 times but I had a few crappy chips and had to chip out a couple times (due to no angle at the flag after tee shot). Second 9 I had 21 putts and shot a 48 again, a tad better tee to green but putting fell. Now, if I could just combine the putting from the front and the tee to green on the back I'd shoot 44 or better with just some better direction off the tee. In my defense today there was a serious cross wind of about 15-20 mph with some gusts that I think were pushing 30! I'd never played in the wind like this before. Very interesting and a challenge for sure. Would move a strait ball 20 yards left and shortened some of my wedges by 20 yards at times.

Obviously the short game is HUGE....chipping and putting is where you make a score.  Keep working at it and you'll be scoring better in no time. Course strategy is important too.....target the large landing areas from the tee which often means something less than driver.

IE....I often see beginners playing forward tees and trying to hit driver into pencil thin stretches of fairway between a creek and treeline.  Target the ideal wide landing zones from the tee, and club accordingly to hit those areas.  This may mean laying short of a bunker...etc, etc.... and you will find less trouble and shoot lower scores.....

Good luck!!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:

Note: This thread is 4593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!