IGNORED

300 Yard carry back swing

Slowswing
Note: This thread is 4591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to truly believe that a few of my drives came close to 300 yards back in the day. Every once in a while you would square one up that would feel like it went a mile.

Then I got a GPS....

Turns out my longest drive is about 275 and my average is 235. Maybe its because my driver has a stiffer shaft but I now know I have never hit a 300yd drive.

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

You score during chipping and putting. But you lose your score a lot of times during the long game.  If your hitting 3 off the tee, it is really hard to make par.

Personally I think a huge chunk of the reason that the swing seems slow is that the sound is weak compared to Rory. I wouldn't hazard a guess if that is due to the driver or a microphone issue.  Either way it looks smooth and in control and I am sure it is giving enough distance for a double digit handicapper.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Obviously the short game is HUGE....chipping and putting is where you make a score.  Keep working at it and you'll be scoring better in no time. Course strategy is important too.....target the large landing areas from the tee which often means something less than driver.

Most people who carry 10+ HCs dont know how to play to the correct landing areas...

Sorry...I just felt it needed to be stated a 2nd time.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

This thread is funny.

Quote:
If your hitting 3 off the tee, it is really hard to make par.

Yeah ... but I have fun.

Edit: The 3 putt doesn't help either.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Originally Posted by WWBDD

This thread is funny.

Yeah ... but I have fun.

Edit: The 3 putt doesn't help either.

Yea, but this guy has a better swing than most....He'll probably be logging scores lower than most very soon......... don't forget that!!!  Why poke fun?  He probably has more skill than most as a beginner...............

What's in Paul's Bag:

Originally Posted by Supermanwoot

I used to truly believe that a few of my drives came close to 300 yards back in the day. Every once in a while you would square one up that would feel like it went a mile.

Then I got a GPS....

Turns out my longest drive is about 275 and my average is 235. Maybe its because my driver has a stiffer shaft but I now know I have never hit a 300yd drive.

Yes, it's very easy to be misled about your distances, especially as a beginner. I used to play on a nice little 9 hole course when I was starting out. Most of the holes were around '300' yards. One day out there I hit a driver that landed over the back of a green that was marked as 295 yards away. I thought I was awesome, hitting 300+ yard drives haha. I've since discovered using google maps distance measurements that the hole is in fact 255 yards long. Many of the holes on that course have incorrect distances, and I imagine it's the same at a lot of 9 holes/beginner courses. I guess they do it to make it seem more challenging than it actually is. But at least now I know I carry (When you play in Ireland, there's no roll out ) between 250 and 260 and therefore I can actually plan out how I'm going to play a hole instead of thinking I'm going to be knocking it 300 yards down the fairway and be left with a wegde to the green . Like I said though, from what I can tell, this guy seems to swing faster than I do, so I have no doubt he can get it out at least 280 or more.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I think it's funny how worked up everyone gets when someone says they hit the ball 300.  It's not like it's an uncommon thing.  I know of 2 or 3 guys in my area that regularly hit it over 300 and that is checked with a GPS (because they have both used a skycaddie). One of my friends went to the same teacher as me a few years ago and held the record for all students at the driving range (a range where the teacher taught) for carrying it over 300.   I could really care less how far someone hits it.  Don't get me wrong, it's nice to sit back and watch a 300 yard drive (and would be even nicer to be able to hit that shot), but it feels even better when you beat the guy by 10 strokes at the end of the round knocking your tee shots out there about 260 tops. I think his swing looks pretty good to be honest.  I have no idea if he hits it 300 or not....but I won't say it's not possible (although hitting it that far in sandals is something else....).  Anyway, just throwing my .02 in.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

lol This is funny over all. It's a never ending cycle also, when people just need to argue or be overly "witty" with their responses to the "300 yard' threads.

Just congratulate the guy and relax and breathe.

As far as his sandals go, he's at the damn range and they even sell a piece of merchandise out there called "golf sandals". The title was not "Watch me hit this very ball in front me 300 yards with my sandals on". He's saying, "Here is my back swing that can carry a golf ball 300 yards". Why over-analyze and argue such petty things?

Originally Posted by Tiger Spuds

Yes, it's very easy to be misled about your distances, especially as a beginner. I used to play on a nice little 9 hole course when I was starting out. Most of the holes were around '300' yards. One day out there I hit a driver that landed over the back of a green that was marked as 295 yards away. I thought I was awesome, hitting 300+ yard drives haha. I've since discovered using google maps distance measurements that the hole is in fact 255 yards long. Many of the holes on that course have incorrect distances, and I imagine it's the same at a lot of 9 holes/beginner courses. I guess they do it to make it seem more challenging than it actually is. But at least now I know I carry (When you play in Ireland, there's no roll out ) between 250 and 260 and therefore I can actually plan out how I'm going to play a hole instead of thinking I'm going to be knocking it 300 yards down the fairway and be left with a wegde to the green . Like I said though, from what I can tell, this guy seems to swing faster than I do, so I have no doubt he can get it out at least 280 or more.

On television it always looks like ~80+ yards of roll. Probably tournament courses are set up much different - just like over here.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I've played in sandals once while on family vacation. I didn't plan to play so I brought NOTHING...I didn't even have a pair of shoes of any kind with me!!! Hahaha...The funny thing is I played pretty well!!!!!   I knew the deal, and made sure to swing in control.........I hit the ball pretty good!!!

PS.......my clubs always travel.  That was the last time I went on a vacation without clubs...

What's in Paul's Bag:

I would play barefoot before I played in sandals.  But that is just me.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TN94z

I would play barefoot before I played in sandals.  But that is just me.

I've played in bare feet too.  Hahahaha.....the fairway and greens grass feels GREAT under your bare feet, but you better be careful chasing stray shots!!  I had blister issues once, and played the entire back nine in bare feet...LOL....once again, I did well.  I made sure to keep a stable platform and hit the ball pretty well....

Jim McMahon (former Chicago Bear).....does it all the time.  I think he's a little bit nuts because your feet get all nasty, but I can relate at least on a small level.............

What's in Paul's Bag:

• 3 weeks later...

If I was as flexible as you, I'd get my arms a little higher in the air so gravity can contribute some.  I bet I could carry 300 with that build.  You've definitely got the hogan flat-arm plane, upright posture look.  If you're hitting it consistently, I might not monkey with it and just work on chipping and putting.  Chipping consistently is a lot harder with a flat and inside path.  Too much around and not enough up and down along the target line to really hit it like a laser every time.  With putting, you just have to find a setup and stroke that lets you hit it pure.  That's almost all you need to work on and the feel will take care of itself.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

lol This is funny over all. It's a never ending cycle also, when people just need to argue or be overly "witty" with their responses to the "300 yard' threads.Just congratulate the guy and relax and breathe.As far as his sandals go, he's at the damn range and they even sell a piece of merchandise out there called "golf sandals". The title was not "Watch me hit this very ball in front me 300 yards with my sandals on". He's saying, "Here is my back swing that can carry a golf ball 300 yards". Why over-analyze and argue such petty things?

Some people don't like it when others can hit it farther than they do. Sure, it would be great to see proof, but I don't see what is wrong with a guy being thrilled with his ability to have reach off of the tee. Besides, I don't see why it is so unbelievable. Some people can hit it a long way. The keys are consistency and accuracy. Nobody wants to believe that a high handicapper can hit it far either. Key word in there is "can." hehehehehe Myself, I don't mind being proud of how far I can hit the ball; but I've also gotta add in the consistency factor. That said, I don't see why 300 is unbelievable. I can carry 240 - 250 with my 5 wood, I am more than capable of adding 30 yards to that with my 3 wood, so why not 300 with a driver for this guy who does have a very nice swing compared to most casual golfers. To OP: I say, congratulations, man. Short game aside, longer drives are key to turning a 6 iron shot into a PW shot. If you learn to be consistent with accuracy, then Greens Under Regulation will be more common on par 5s too . ;) It is also fun when you get up to the tee box and you wait for the group ahead to clear. The folks waiting in queue like to talk under their breath about how you should be swinging. Then you shut them up by nailing 30 yards past where the cart was just sitting. ;)

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Note: This thread is 4591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!