IGNORED

long hybrid, or short fairway wood? rough rider as well as a club to pick off the fairway

handlez42
Note: This thread is 4547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

what do you guys think? 3 hybrid? or short wood (5 or more preferrably 7)?

I've been considering a 7 wood (21deg) because its practically a long iron maybe a 2 or 3 and will make the gap between my 3w and my 4iron smooth. but im also considering an actual 3 iron replacement hybrid, that can also play as a short wood or long iron. making the transition smoother for distance.

I have a taylormade raylor and a nike procombo forged hybrid (driving iron). the raylor is my 5 wood in a way. good out of the rough and gets the ball up nicely but tough for fairway and tight lies. the nike is my longest iron 3 replacement and is very good out of the fairway and the straightest club in my bag but struggles to get the ball up and out of the rough cause of its design.

I recently have become apart of the crazed tour edge fan. Bought my first fairway wood (cb2) and love it. Decided to buy a cb3 driver and now i love that as well.

Tour edge Trilogy?

XCG-V?

CB line hybrids and woods?

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently added a 7 wood, which is currently replacing my 20* hybrid. I've always felt comfortable hitting fairway woods, and the higher lofted 7 wood is pretty user friendly. Some guys swear by hybrids, but its all about what works for you. I personally really like the higher lofter fairway woods.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I have a 2 hybrid & took it out of the bag - much prefer my 3 hybrid.     Very little difference performance wise - 3 is just easier to hit all around.    If you compare an average 5 wood to a 3 hybrid, thte 5 wood will be about 1.5" longer - which to me equates to tougher to hit off the deck for the same performance.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to have a Callaway steelhead 4 wood 17* that I had shortened to hybrid length and it was a perfect club for rough, fairway, and about 210 yards. bought the steelhead on eBay for 20 bucks with a ladies shaft in it and bought a shaft on eBay for $10. iit cost me $15 to put it together. I still have the club, I think. I think it's in my dads bag.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

If you like your 19* Raylor, consider a 22* Raylor. Raylors have a longer shaft than most hybrids, and will give a little extra distance.

The last few months, Golfsmith is about the only place that has any unused Raylors in stock.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

i had to sell the raylor 19^ because it really wasnt very long in terms of distance. it could've been a bit too light of a flex (Reg 65g) but even in regular flex the clubhead was much too small and light in terms of swing weight. but at contact it just didnt feel long, although it sounded long. i was looking more for a normal-tour sized hybrid.  I've considered getting a 19* deg cb2 hybrid by Tour Edge Exotics to match my 3w which is slightly more square and comparable to todays tour style hybrids. but i have also considered getting a shorter fairway wood for a bit more power behind the ball as well as power through the rough.

not really a big fan of the small adams hybrids although the A12 is a goodlooking club.

You should check out the Adams Idea Black Super hybrids. I use a 19* as a 5-wood replacement. It's pretty decent out of the rough and about 5-10 yards shorter than my Cobra 5-wood.

its easier to work an iron ie; play a high/low fade/cut draw/hook than a bigger wood. so my experience with this is; smaller the club head; easier it is to work.

if you want to be able to work it; 3 hybrid

if you want consistency and forgiveness; wood

I have replaced my #7 fairway wood & #4 iron with a 3 & 4 hybrid( 20* & 23*).....

My 3 wood is 190 yds

My 3 hybrid is 185 yds

My 5 wood is 175 yds

My 4 hybrid is 170 yds

My 5 iron is 155-160

My 6 iron is 145-150

My 7 iron is 135-145

does this look right?

I'm a big fan of Tour Edge as well, and have been playing the TE 13 degree 3-wood, and TE 17 degree hybrid for about 3 years. A few weeks ago I got the new TE CB4 3-wood and the 22 degree hybrid, and with the Aldila RIP shaft they are fantastic! For fairway lies it's pretty much a question of whether you trust your 3-wood swing. If I'm having doubts I choke up or grab my hybrid, but it's really an individual choice. For the rough, well, hitting 3-wood out of the rough is rarely a good idea.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Originally Posted by hamletsdead

I'm a big fan of Tour Edge as well, and have been playing the TE 13 degree 3-wood, and TE 17 degree hybrid for about 3 years. A few weeks ago I got the new TE CB4 3-wood and the 22 degree hybrid, and with the Aldila RIP shaft they are fantastic! For fairway lies it's pretty much a question of whether you trust your 3-wood swing. If I'm having doubts I choke up or grab my hybrid, but it's really an individual choice. For the rough, well, hitting 3-wood out of the rough is rarely a good idea.

i have a tour edge exotics cb2 15* and even though its an older model its still just as long as the following ones. i could probly choke down on it but even doing that is very difficult to control distance cause these club heads are soooo longgg. It have a TM aftermarket fuji motore F1 shaft which is fantastic.

But i decided on a club to match. TEE cb2 19* hybrid. I couldnt find more than 2 reviews on it. so i snagged it for $59. it has a graphite design 72g Stiff flex shaft on it. which seems a bit too stiff. I contacted exotics golf and they said they would switch out the shaft for either the Motore Exotics shaft in the XCG-4 or the Aldila RIP shaft in the CB4. only $40 bucks (plus s&h;) and thats not bad. just not sure if i wanna take a chance at that. Is your CB4 3 wood RIP "aftermarket" or "made-for" (real deal aftermarket being the one id prefer) cause 40 bucks seems cheap for the tour preferred, number one graphite shaft out there.

still considering getting the 22* model for my 4 iron but i dont have any issues with my 4 iron

I started to think shortening up a fairway wood as a cool idea but my only concern would be the lie angle with a hybrid length shaft on it...im 6'2" and am using irons +1" +2* lie and feel id be sitting a shortened fairway wood on the toe end more than flat

I stuggled for 3 years with trying to use a 4 hybrid (taylormade 22 degree).

Finally this week, I gave up and bought an used (but in prime condition) Callaway Big Bertha II, 7 wood, with steel head.

Already I am now making those 180 yard shots, that I was failing to hit well with the hybrid.

The hybrid just seemed like work when i tried to hit it.

I would always rather choke down on my 5 wood than hit my hybrid.

The 7 wood is effortless to hit and knocks it high.

Of course all the sales people were dumb founded when I asked for a 7 wood. They also took a 1/2 hour to find one of 3 of them in the store.....

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I enjoy hitting my 3 hybrid, get about 205-215 from it. If I were to transition to a 7 wood, I would make sure that the length is equivalent to my hybrid.

I think it all comes down to preference. I like the hybrid, it's more forgiving than a 3 iron, but less workable. I swing it like an iron, which works for my game better than a fairway wood.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Personally, I'd go with the hybrid... I can hit them off the tee, the fairway, or out of rough without too many problems; with a fairway wood, I pretty much just use it off the tee.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by Elmer

I stuggled for 3 years with trying to use a 4 hybrid (taylormade 22 degree).

Finally this week, I gave up and bought an used (but in prime condition) Callaway Big Bertha II, 7 wood, with steel head.

Already I am now making those 180 yard shots, that I was failing to hit well with the hybrid.

The hybrid just seemed like work when i tried to hit it.

I would always rather choke down on my 5 wood than hit my hybrid.

The 7 wood is effortless to hit and knocks it high.

Of course all the sales people were dumb founded when I asked for a 7 wood. They also took a 1/2 hour to find one of 3 of them in the store.....

I think starting by hitting a 3 iron vs. a 3 hybrid is a world of difference. With my TEE 19* cb2 has more powers behind it plus because of tour edge exotics "combo brazing" technique Im not sacrificing feel for power its relatively balanced. My one problem with it is probly its actual design in terms of where the weight is placed inside the clubhead. The CB range by exotics tends to be tour preferred. The weight is slightly higher, and closer to the clubface in comparison to clubs of the same type from other companies. (check out the cb3 or cb4 descriptions on exotics golf and im sure you'll get what i mean) anyways this club plays alot like a 3 iron vs a hybrid. Lower penetrating trajectory with incredibly controlled workability. Haven't had a chance to hit it out of any rough which for my personal games reasons, is a very good thing haha. Either way i figured saying a 3 hybrid is an easy to hit 3 iron replacement. Which a 7 wood be an even easier to hit club in comparison to a 3 hybrid.

"the golf fix" in golf channel mentioned better players having one fairway wood and  one or two hybrids to play between an iron and a 5 wood, while less experienced players might have up to a 7 or 9 wood in there bag and no hybrids

I have both a 21* 7 wood that stays in my bag and a 20* hybrid that does not.  The 7 wood hits a high softer shot and will carry right at 200 yards.  The 20* hybrid (even with it's shorter shaft) will go 200 total - but that's with anywhere from 10-20 yards of run added on to 180-190 carry.  I went with the 7 wood because I can duplicate the 20* hybrid shot with my 23* by putting it back in my stance a tad and really hitting from the inside.  That being said, I've been keeping track of my club usage for about 10 rounds.  I've hit lots of drivers, wedges and putters.  Ive also seen an even distribution in my irons that i hit.  I've only hit that 7 wood twice in the last 10 rounds.

Note: This thread is 4547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!