IGNORED

Evidently Jack Nicklaus wants to double the size of the hole in some settings?

RyderJ
Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Maybe I'm old school but one of the things that attracts me to certain sports is their simularity to the the game I see played by professionals.  Scores are measures of success, I'd prefer to shoot 100+ on a regulation course versus 90 on a course that uses cups double the size.

My thoughts exactly.  I think encouraging players to play from the proper tee's is more important than the cup size anyways.  I do not like the idea at all honestly.

In general, I don't get the drive to make golf any more popular.

Edmonton, Alberta (where I currently reside) is flush with golf courses and one has to be on the ball to book a tee time.

Where on the continent are golf courses underused?

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Good point, I'd much rather miss a 3 foot putt than skull/slice/hook my tee shot in front of everyone.  Maybe instead of bigger cups, people not wanting to play the game as it's meant to be could have the option of throwing the ball from the tee box.

Originally Posted by Topper

I would argue that (relatively speaking) there's less frustration by beginners over the 3 or 4 putt compared with tee and fairway shots.  Let's see.  A new golfer steps up to the tee where there's often onlookers nearby...especially the first tee.  The new golfer carefully addresses the ball and takes aim (as was shown in a previous golf lesson).  The new golfer swings and hits thin or fat and watches the ball travel 50', or if he/she is lucky and makes solid contact, watches the ball fly out of bounds, into rough, or into hazards.  The new golfer can almost hear the mumblings of people lined up at the firs tee (or arriving at subsequent tees) that sound something like, "we're going to be here all day... , , ".  Our new golfer then proceeds to re-tee for another shot or walk the 50' to his/her ball for another attempt.  Another swing and a similar result.  The new golfer is now more than a little frustrated and embarrassed and wonders why golf seemed so much better during lessons and at the driving range.  By the time our new golfer gets to the green, a couple of chips and however many putts seems like fun in comparison.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

I think encouraging players to play from the proper tee's is more important than the cup size anyways.

Nothing more painful that following a group duffing tee shots from the blues.

I agree with what Nicklaus is doing, but is there a way to get those who think they should be on a regulation course but shouldn't, off?

I have too many times seen a foursome on a 6500+ yard course and not one of their tee shots on the first hole go past 150 yards. Translation, 6 hour round.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm not a super fast runner so maybe the local running event organizers should offer me a head start so I can finish closer to the top,

The NHRA calls this bracket racing, based off a handicap, and it's probably the largest form of drag racing to occur every weekend in the USA.

Quote:

I have too many times seen a foursome on a 6500+ yard course and not one of their tee shots on the first hole go past 150 yards. Translation, 6 hour round.

Hitting the ball 150 yards onto the fairway in no way translates into slow play.

Spraying tee shots into the trees on the other hand ...

I understand how NHRA works, and in relation golf has flights based on handicap but in general my golf handicap overall allows me to compete with a lower handicap.  I meant a head start so I don't have to run as far as the faster runners to relate to the larger cup size analogy.

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

The NHRA calls this bracket racing, based off a handicap, and it's probably the largest form of drag racing to occur every weekend in the USA.

Joe Paradiso

you're arguing semantics when you're talking about "keeping the game the way it was"

Who says that someone can't use golf balls and golf clubs and play a different game?  WHy does it have to be defacing YOUR precious game?

I know its a shocker but not everyone is like us who play to shoot low.  Some people just play to have fun socially with friends, family, clients..whoever.  Its a chance to get outdoors and have a little fun.  They don't care if they shoot an 80 or a 120..they just enjoy the day and the company.  If making 12 hole courses and 8 inch holes allows these people more enjoyment..then go for it.

I just don't get the "this is MY game and you can't play any other way than how I say to" mentality.  Golfers used to hit rocks with sticks and tees used to be piles of sand...Looks like someone changed the game to make it more fun somewhere along the line.

• Upvote 1

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Changing the cup size on a green means either two different holes and flags per green or creating dedicated courses for "Fun Golf".  Tennis is a tough sport to play, but people go on a regulation tennis court, make their own rules and play, why can't they do the same with golf.  As I said in an earlier post, no one prevents a golfer today from picking their ball up within 3 feet (or any other proximity they want to use) of the cup and calling it a holed putt,.  I just don't see the need to put bigger holes and cups in the ground?

As for 12 hole courses, I'm good with that, I don't see why a 9 hole course doesn't satisfy the need, but if someone wants to start making 12 hole courses and there's available land, go for it.

Originally Posted by Paradox

you're arguing semantics when you're talking about "keeping the game the way it was"

Who says that someone can't use golf balls and golf clubs and play a different game?  WHy does it have to be defacing YOUR precious game?

I know its a shocker but not everyone is like us who play to shoot low.  Some people just play to have fun socially with friends, family, clients..whoever.  Its a chance to get outdoors and have a little fun.  They don't care if they shoot an 80 or a 120..they just enjoy the day and the company.  If making 12 hole courses and 8 inch holes allows these people more enjoyment..then go for it.

I just don't get the "this is MY game and you can't play any other way than how I say to" mentality.  Golfers used to hit rocks with sticks and tees used to be piles of sand...Looks like someone changed the game to make it more fun somewhere along the line.

Joe Paradiso

All depends on the person playing I suppose. A lot of people want their golf experience to be as close to real tournament golf as possible, others just want it to be fun. I think it's a great idea for beginners who want to be able to enjoy the game straight away. That said, if they can't hit a driver or irons, a wider hole isn't going to make much difference is it? Good idea, and might get more people into the game, but it's hardly revolutionary.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I think this is my biggest problem with enlarging the size of the cup. If you don't like missing three footers, do what any logical individual trying to improve would do...PRACTICE MORE!!! Or is that too much of a concept to grasp?

Good point, I'd much rather miss a 3 foot putt than skull/slice/hook my tee shot in front of everyone.  Maybe instead of bigger cups, people not wanting to play the game as it's meant to be could have the option of throwing the ball from the tee box.

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

Quote:

Good idea, and might get more people into the game, but it's hardly revolutionary.

Rather than alter golf courses, or build special 12 hole, giant cup golf courses, beginners should be encouraged to play best ball or some other variation that doesn't slow them down or penalise them to the point of despondency.

• Administrator

Geez, people. Nobody's forcing you to play the course with six fewer holes that are four inches larger.

I'd play it. Not for a score, but if my wife and kid were along. I'm sure I'd have a blast watching them make more putts and perhaps chip a ball in or something that they'd not normally do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Geez, people. Nobody's forcing you to play the course with six fewer holes that are four inches larger.

I'd play it. Not for a score, but if my wife and kid were along. I'm sure I'd have a blast watching them make more putts and perhaps chip a ball in or something that they'd not normally do.

Exactly.  We are never going to see this on all courses.   Jack said himself he is for it 'just in certain settings'.

If it happens, and people enjoy it, great.  For those that don't like it, they can stay away from it.

People enjoy outdoor games and activities.  New ones, and variations of old ones, pop up often.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Perhaps we should hang the basketball rims at the gym at 8.5 feet instead of ten for those of us that wish we were MJ? Or, maybe we can shorten the length of a baseball field back down to little league size for the men's recreational leagues so everyone can have more fun. I think that is the problem in the world today...people want the results without the time invested....again, just my opinion.

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

Quote:

Nobody's forcing you to play the course with six fewer holes that are four inches larger.

Well no, one doesn't exist yet, does it?

Paradox,

Great post!

And for the record, if anyone bothered reading up on the quote itself, Nicklaus said he will be holding specific events with the course set up in these conditions. He's not talking about setting up the course for daily play.

I guess MY whole point is...for all of you golf "purists", drop the 3, 4, 5 piece golf balls. Put away the modern clubs. Let's go back to playing with the niblick and featherie golf ball. Because after all...that's how the game was meant to be played right?

Driver:  R9 Supertri 10.5* -  909D3 9.5*

2 Hybrid:  2009 TP Rescue 17*

Irons:  R9 TP 3-PW

Wedges:  Vokey 54* & 60*

Putter:  2Ball Vline 34"

Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!