IGNORED

Annoying Things Golfers Say and Do on the Course

Lag Rag
Note: This thread is 1428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have become completely annoyed with the whole "honors" thing. if you've got em, go hit the f'n ball instead of jacking around for what seems like 10 minutes.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

I agree with you on that one. I played with a guy that actually got upset that i tee'd off before him when he was still fumbling with retrieving a tee from his bag. I mean does it really matter that much to tee off first if you had a par on the last hole while I had a bogey?

Originally Posted by jpalermo

I have become completely annoyed with the whole "honors" thing. if you've got em, go hit the f'n ball instead of jacking around for what seems like 10 minutes.

Driver: Ping i15, 3 Wood: Ping i15, Irons: Mizuno MP-53, Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, Cleveland CG15, Putter: Ping iN Anser V2

I hate when people driving their carts don't pay attention to the course and drive almost right in front of you as your getting ready to swing.  Nothing worse than when you are in your backswing and somebod in your group has to yell at you to hold off. If you hit your ball in another fairway...pay attention to your surroundings when you drive to get it!

THE MOST annoying thing to me is when players like Christie Kerr yell at their ball in mid flight - sit  SIT  SSSSIIITTTTT   !!    Makes me absolutely cringe ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I usually don't get annoyed by things golfers say, but one that makes me laugh ever since watching Brian from Big Break is;  "I really hit that shot pure", as the ball sails over the flag or green.  I have a buddy that says that everytime he hits a shot with a) too much club or b) thins the shot.

Ever since seeing that show, it has become practically my trademark to comment "man, I just hit that too pure" as it goes sailing 50 yards past target. lol.

When players completely misshit a shot, and say something like "Jeez, that's what happen when you try and add more lag mid-round". Dude shut up, you misshit the shot, get over it.

I dislike when walk on the tee of a short par 4 hole that is say, 335 yards and choose to hit a hard 4i onto the "FAT" middle of the fairway and the guy I'm playing with says, "why don't you hit driver????"

Well, cause my drive will probably land in the narrowest area of the end of the fariway that is surrounded with water, rough, bunkers, and everything else...that's why ya dingbat!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

I dislike when walk on the tee of a short par 4 hole that is say, 335 yards and choose to hit a hard 4i onto the "FAT" middle of the fairway and the guy I'm playing with says, "why don't you hit driver????"

This.  We have a short par 4 that has a green surrounded by bunkers and trouble.  It is reachable but in most cases you have to land it just short to get the ball to stop on the green.  If you miss the landing area by 5 feet (any any direction) you bring bogey or worse into play.  When I take a iron someone in the foursome always says something about me needing to take driver. I just have to respond with "I am over a 20 handicap.  If I had a precise driver I am sure I would be a bit lower in the handicap department."

Stood over a 12-15 footer, half way to the hole your partner says great putt. It misses - from that range its not a great putt until its in the hole.

Clubs with "Handicap Certificate required" on their website, if your Royal Birkdale and its like fine, anywhere else - who you kidding - you'll take anyones money.

Quote:

THE MOST annoying thing to me is when players like Christie Kerr yell at their ball in mid flight - sit  SIT  SSSSIIITTTTT   !!    Makes me absolutely cringe ...

What is a "player like Christie Kerr"?

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I find people for the most part entertaining haven't met a perfect specimen yet and that includes me , in addition people are part of the landscape of participation sports such as golf so they are therefore kinda hard to eliminate from the picture. But if I had to pick one group it is a tie between the group that hydrates irresponsibly to the extreme and becomes obnoxious or the group that is so driven by the call to the 19th hole that everyone in their way becomes an irritation.

Quote:

People who assume they know your game better than you. If I "normally" hit a driver 230 yards but every 3-4 drives I hit one 250 when my swing is right, don't stand behind me telling me it's fine to tee off if there's even a chance I could be hitting into another group.

Advice from people worse than you - "Mate, you're not gonna draw it until you start rolling your wrists at impact."

I don't have to know your game better than you to know that if you haven't hit a driver longer than 220 for 12 holes, that even your purest 3w off the deck isn't going 220 (and I've even seen this kind of thing when that second shot is 240-250).  There is a 100% chance you can't reach the green with your 2nd shot, so stop pretending that 3w might go further than your driver, accept it'll take 3 shots to get to the green, and don't slow down everyone behind you just to maintain the fantasy that you're magically going to start hitting your 3w off the deck further than your solid drives.

Teeing off is different.  Notice that I didn't say that the thing that really annoyed me was when the group in front of me, who've hit 230 yard drives all day, won't tee off when there's players on the fairway at 240-250.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

1. People who talk too much.

2. People who talk at the wrong times.

3. People who aren't aware of the situation (standing in the wrong position, too close to someone's ball, shadow, etc).

4. People who try to give advice when none is requested.

5. People who get too angry over bad shots.

6. Groups who play too slow.

7. People/Groups who don't allow faster groups/players play through.

Ogio Grom
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0   |   Woods:
TaylorMade V Steel
Irons:
TaylorMade Burner 2.0 3-AW   |   Putter: TaylorMade Rossa

Golf cart etiquette is one of many . Playing on Saturday, the group in front of us were constantly driving the wrong fairways from the tee. As we get ready to tee of, we see 3 carts (they were playing as a six-some...) zipping around in our fairway. No courtesy was displayed by them in regards to waiting, giving us a nod or wave or simple "Thanks". They would find their ball(s), park all 3 carts out in our fairway and take their time hitting. ( For those new to the game - If you're leaving the hole that you are on to find a ball, you do not have the "right of way". You're not entitled to drive out and find your ball until the oncoming tee is cleared and you're not in somebody's way unless you're waved on. Common sense 101).

Another of mine is the "gimmie putts" . When I putt my birdie attempt to within 2 feet of the hole, please do not tap my ball back to me and say "We'll give you that one". Not only do I like the sound of the ball in the damn hole, but I want to know that I made Par and didn't choke and push one. Don't touch the ball and don't hover over the hole with the flag in your hand like people in my group do. If you end up 1ft out and want to put the ball back in your pocket, I really don't care. Don't assume that I don't want to putt the ball though lol. The hole is the size that it is for a reason, so within reason... a putt outside of a foot is definitely not always a 100% "gimmie" putt (1000 times out of 1000 times you would make the putt).

Not much annoys me and I always have fun, but these 2 kept happening over the weekend and I was having a really bad round so I think it kind of amplified the irritation a bit. I had my ball knocked back to me about 10 times and had 3 golf carts circling our fairway looking for their balls at least 7 times (in 18 holes).

It would appear that I am more tolerant than most. There are very few things that bother me on the course. Not getting to play a whole lot (8-10 times a year), I have learned to lot let much get to me. It just ruins the round, and if I start ruining rounds, I'll never have one that is enjoyable. Here is my short list: Playing slow within the group. I have learned to tolerate slow play on the course, I don't mind if you are, in general, a slow player (taking extra practice swings, lining up putts, getting a yardage, etc.), but when it is your turn to hit, you better be ready to do what you need to do. Do not sit in the cart while I am waiting to hit my shot. Go figure out your yardage, what club you want to hit, how you want to play it, etc. Especially if we are waiting for a group to clear. Figure it out, then when it is clear and it is your turn, you can start your pre-shot process. Don't wait until three other people have hit to figure out what you want to do. Carrying a conversation. I don't mind if people are talking and having a good time, but when the time comes to hit, hit the damn ball. Don't make me wait another three minutes for you to finish your story. Hit the ball, then finish your story. Taking work to the course. If I am playing during what should be work hours, I will make sure any work I have to do is done and I won't be bothered by it. I'll take my Blackberry with me and if something comes up I'll reply to a text or e-mail when I have a minute to wait, or driving between shots, never when it is my turn to hit. Don't take a call from an associate and get into a lengthy conversation about this and that and hold up the group. Either go to work or play golf, don't do both. And if it is something that simply can't wait, just put your ball in your pocket until you are done so you don't hold up the rest of us. Most of these are along the same lines -- making me wait when I shouldn't have to. I don't mind a group or two in front being slow, I can not stand it when I am the slow group from people just not paying attention. One of these days I going to go Elin on somebody with a 9-iron.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

The range is a totally different beast.  I have very low expectations for people at the range and I'm usually disappointed.  Last night a guy shows up with a baby in a car carrier.  He proceeds to put the kid in the stall next to him while he gets a bucket of balls and hits his driver in the other.  The kid is screaming and he's just swinging away like the kids not even there.  People are looking over at him like buddy how about taking care of your kid and he yells out "Jesus you guys never heard a f'ing kid cry before?  Mind your own f'ing business".  Ahhh just another day at the range.

Originally Posted by RyderJ

This actually happened to me tonight at the range...

Long story short...it's annoying when people lie about their game...and lie to themselves...after breaking my concentration to give me, a complete stranger, advice about my swing.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I have a couple that just irk me:

- telling past stories of what coulda, should, woulda been (that bore the crap outa me), then continuing the story when it's their shot. Uhhhh! Just hit the ball!!

- people that constantly whine about course conditions and why they never see anyone working! Being an ex-Superintendent this just kills me. "yeh, the course just maintains itself". The people complaining are usually retired or taking the day off of work, so don't complain about the people who do work and are trying to make the course playable for people like you. People have no clue how hard it is to maintain a course and how many hours those guys put in. It's part of the reason I go out of it, cause I didn't ever see my family.

- finally.....golfers that don't respect other people's property. When you hit into someone's yard, JUST LEAVE IT!! It's a $2 ball that now belong to the property owner. The worst is when they play the shot out of the property owners yard (mine)!! When it's clearly white staked all the way around. Com on people

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated

Wow...just wow

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The range is a totally different beast.  I have very low expectations for people at the range and I'm usually disappointed.  Last night a guy shows up with a baby in a car carrier.  He proceeds to put the kid in the stall next to him while he gets a bucket of balls and hits his driver in the other.  The kid is screaming and he's just swinging away like the kids not even there.  People are looking over at him like buddy how about taking care of your kid and he yells out "Jesus you guys never heard a f'ing kid cry before?  Mind your own f'ing business".  Ahhh just another day at the range.

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

Note: This thread is 1428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!