IGNORED

Yani Tseng Hits it Like a Man

iacas
Note: This thread is 4356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Michelle Wie.  She's another who uses more of her core than the majority of LGPA players like Erik has pointed out.

The only difference with Yani Tseng however is that her move through the ball seems less "forced" than Michelle's.  Michelle really bends and over exaggerates the finish of her swing where Yani has a nice solid natural finish.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• Administrator

Originally Posted by CPT

Say what you want, but I am now rooting for her to surpass Jack's majors record.

It'll be irrelevant since she's playing on the LPGA Tour.

Originally Posted by MPS67

Eric,

If it's okay by you I'll answer your question. ;-)

Originally Posted by MPS67

I'm not sure I understand. Are you advocating that these women need to more actively swing down using the muscles in their shoulders and arms? In swinging down, wouldn't they want their arms to remain passive and to only feel the pull and leverage from the manipulation of their lower body? Wouldn't the arm muscles complimenting this swing-action slow the rate of speed? Maybe I've misinterpreted your original post.

Of course I want their arms and shoulders to engage. Your arms are not simply there for the purpose of connecting your hands to your body. They need to be swung actively. In Golfing Machine terms, accumulators 1 and 4 are under-used by many women.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Of course I want their arms and shoulders to engage. Your arms are not simply there for the purpose of connecting your hands to your body. They need to be swung actively. In Golfing Machine terms, accumulators 1 and 4 are under-used by many women.

Eric, I'm sorry if I've wandered off topic.

I do see the technique of actively engaging the arms in releasing accumulators #1 & 4 using the stack and tilt swing seen in the video below.

However with the more traditional swing (like Yani Tseng's,) I believe the arms passively release their accumulated potential energy.

Here's a video that shows a one armed golfer. His swing is powered by his centered pivot and his accumulator #4 is released passively.

Here, Hogan is releasing accumulator #4 passively from his active pivot.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by MPS67

Eric, I'm sorry if I've wandered off topic.

You have slightly (and my name is Erik), but that's fine, as I welcome the discussion. I'll probably just ask that we make a thread somewhere else to focus on this specific thing.

EVERY GOLF SWING uses the arms to some extent. They all release #1 and #4. Some more than others. If you didn't swing your left arm across your chest or actively straighten your right arm, you'd make impact most like Jim Furyk - your hips would be turned a lot, your shoulders would be turned a lot, you'd still have a ton of flex in your right arm, the handle of the club would be near your right hip.

I disagree completely that Yani has a "passive" release. She's using both #1 and #4. Even Jim Furyk is, he's just using them "less" than most people.

Screen Shot 2011-09-14 at 7.27.50 pm.png

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

All that really matters is if they are hot...lets face how many men would be caring about the LPGA if they all looked like Laura Davies. Shoot 70 looking hot is more important than a pretty golf swing!! The Solhiem cup is coming and i always enjoy watching that... for the obvious reasons of chicks and match play!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

more than a little truth to that ... which is why we see Natalie Gulbis on so many TV commercials, without ever having been a top player.      I admit when I watch the ladies, it's because I want to see an attractive woman bash the crap out of a golf ball ...

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

All that really matters is if they are hot...lets face how many men would be caring about the LPGA if they all looked like Laura Davies. Shoot 70 looking hot is more important than a pretty golf swing!! The Solhiem cup is coming and i always enjoy watching that... for the obvious reasons of chicks and match play!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

There is some truth to that.  But, at 51, my yardage with my clubs is very similar to the better LPGA players.  It is interesting to me to see how they play the course from the same distances.  Yani even uses the same irons I do, which kills my excuse for new ones.  If she can will 5 majors with Adams A4s, I should be able to win the Golf League with them!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Great looking moves.  I really like Vicki's in that I like how she takes the club a little steep then drops it down at the top of her back swing.  But I am biased towards that because I'd love to have that and not the other way like I do.

I can see how women use there arms less.  I'd say the opposite is true for most men.  I'm not talking tour players, just everyday 10 handicappers.  We(I) have stronger arms, and learned that we can create a lot of speed using the strength we have.  There has to be a balance between being active with the arms to create power and being connected to create consistancy.

Brian

• Administrator

Averaged, what, 280 yards this week?

insl15_alexis_thompson.jpg

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Stretch

Averaged, what, 280 yards this week?

Yep. She jumps well. Uses her hips during the backswing. Uses her arms. Has some weird "looking" pieces that are going to lead to consistency issues, but she doesn't lack power (for a female).

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/swing-sequences/2011-03/photos-alexis-thompson#slide=1

insl07_alexis_thompson.jpg insl11_alexis_thompson.jpg

Originally Posted by iacas

... but she doesn't lack power (for a female).

Hahaha. She already hits it well past me and I reckon in a year or two she'll probably have a few yards on you too!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator

Hahaha. She already hits it well past me and I reckon in a year or two she'll probably have a few yards on you too!

Hey now! I'm moderately long for a schmuck.

Thought of you watching the Pettersen/Wie match in the Solheim Cup today, Erik. Both were coached as juniors by the same guy -- Gary Gilchrist, a South African -- before he was bigfooted, twice, by Lead Poison. Gary's revenge, he picked up Yani Tseng.

Stretch.

• Administrator

Thought of you watching the Pettersen/Wie match in the Solheim Cup today, Erik. Both were coached as juniors by the same guy -- Gary Gilchrist, a South African -- before he was bigfooted, twice, by Lead Poison. Gary's revenge, he picked up Yani Tseng.

There you go.

• 7 months later...

Most women don't have strong muscles in their arms and shoulders.  So perhaps the best swing technique that their bodies allow is slightly different to those used by men?  And therefore teaching them the men's swing might make them worse?

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!