Sign in to follow this  
halcon

Can anybody explain why TW is so bad, with these statistics?

Note: This thread is 3173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 posts / 1028 viewsLast Reply

I was surfing the web, an came to this page:

http://www.pgatour.com/2011/fedexcup/08/19/guidebook-statisticalleaders/index.html

According to those statistics, TW is playing a well above average golf. He is in the top five of 11 of 20 categories, and leads 4 of them. How can he be as bad as everybody seems to think then? Is he that awful in the other categories?

That's for the playoffs in the last 4 years. Not just this year. :-P

Originally Posted by halcon

I was surfing the web, an came to this page:

http://www.pgatour.com/2011/fedexcup/08/19/guidebook-statisticalleaders/index.html

According to those statistics, TW is playing a well above average golf. He is in the top five of 11 of 20 categories, and leads 4 of them. How can he be as bad as everybody seems to think then? Is he that awful in the other categories?

The statistics you have provided are misleading; only cover the four FedEx Cup playoff events over the previous four seasons. Tiger won the FedEx Cup in 2007 and 2009, and missed the playoffs in 2008 due to injury. Considering the limited sample size, and his results during the period in question, his statistics are deservedly stellar. However, they don't reflect his current standard of play

Compare Tiger's statistics from this year to his statistics in 2009, when he won six times and took Player of the Year honors. He's no longer one of the longest drivers on tour, and his driving accuracy percentage would rank dead last had he completed enough rounds to qualify. He ranked 12th in total driving (distance plus accuracy) in 2009; this year, he would have ranked somewhere in the 170s. In 2009, he led the tour in scrambling, and ranked third in sand saves; he'd rank 122nd in 169th in those categories this year, respectively. He led the tour in all-around ranking in 2009, but he'd be around 70th this year.

The statistics show that Tiger Woods is currently hovering around the median amongst the whole of the PGA Tour. He wouldn't be in danger of losing his card if he had played an entire season in his present form, but it is far below the lofty standard that we all expect from him.

But that performance was good enough to get him on the President's Cup team. Good grief.

Not really. He was picked for who he is, what he's done, and what he (theoretically) [i]can[/i] do. His recent performance had nothing to do with it. The reasoning provided for his selection never centered around his most recent performance. Remember the "best player in the universe, forever" comments?

Not really. He was picked for who he is, what he's done, and what he (theoretically) [i]can[/i] do. His recent performance had nothing to do with it. The reasoning provided for his selection never centered around his most recent performance. Remember the "best player in the universe, forever" comments?

Whoosh!

Tiger is not playing that bad hes just not winning thats why hes doing so bad look at his career he needs a win bad it doesnt matter if its an easy one just to get it out of the way

Isn't his form today somehow reflecting his problems the last 2 years? To me it seems that his problems stem more from the difference in the good guy he was portraying vs what he was actually doing. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

This might be a bit off topic...

To me, I've always viewed Tiger as an extremely prideful individual, and that's not necessarily a bad thing....BUT...

When you take into account everything that has happened in his life in the recent past, I believe he needs to really work on becoming completely humble at this point in time. There is a vast difference between saying the words that make you appear humble and implementing those ideas and values into your life. Tiger WAS on top of the world, a super hero of sorts in the eyes of many. Goliath resurrected, even. Then it all came crashing down.

I believe he needs to get back to the basics of life, realize he isn't superman and isn't going to pull off as many mind boggling shots as when he was 25, and really find a renewed sense of who he is. Even now, when he plays poorly, he admits it, but doesn't seem to be able to accept it. He feels like he should still be out there dominating the competition, instilling fear in the eyes of all who challenge and running away with victories like he just stole a pack of chiclets from the neighborhood grocery store. He simply will not do that ever again. He has to realize that, accept it and move on from there. Until this happens, I don't expect to see a TW victory.

Tiger will be back when he can accept being a fellow competitor instead of the links butt kicker that can make all the country boys pee their pants and go home.

Thanks, I assumed those were this years statistics

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

That's for the playoffs in the last 4 years. Not just this year. :-P

Note: This thread is 3173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!