IGNORED

Sureshot GPS, new courses?

Note: This thread is 6069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any sureshot gps users out there? I noticed that they added tons of new courses a few weeks ago, and I'm wondering if anyone has checked them out? They're rated "amateur" and I'd worry that they don't have all of the hazards, etc mapped...

I'm probably going to pick up a gps unit this spring (sureshot vs. skycaddie) and course coverage seems to be a critical factor in choosing which one. Skycaddie still wins out, but sureshot appears to be catching up.
Cleveland - HiBore XL (9.5* Fuji Fit-On Gold Stiff)
Bobby Jones/Jesse Ortiz - 3W & 21* H3 (Stock Stiff)
Ben Hogan - Apex FTX 4-FW (Apex 4 shafts)
TaylorMade - rac TP 56.12 satin & 60.6 black
Scotty Cameron - Mil-Spec Newport 2 (33" standard)

I inquired, and the "amateur" courses are indeed, just front, center, and rear green... They got these mapped quickly to build the database, but will eventually get them Pro mapped when they can. You have the ability with the SureShot to edit these on your device to add the hazards/markers if you so desire....

I am very tempted to get one... But I have an SG2 and SG4 skycaddie!! Got to dump at least the SG2 before I get the Sureshot!

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling... since they added 5000 courses all at once. I definitely prefer the look and features of the Sureshot to the Skycaddie, but I guess it's all about the courses. I tend to play a bunch of places, and want something that will (most likely) work if I try a new track. Still having a hard time justifying the switch from my rangefinder, alas.

PS: are you anywhere near Richter Park in CT? I'm in NYC, but that's my favorite public course around.

I'm in Milford. Haven't yet played Richter. My friends and I have it on out "to do" list for the year.

Mostly we play Orange Hills, Grassy Hill, Whitney farms, occasionally Oxford Greens, Laurel View and Lyman Orchards, and very rarely Great river.... We're cheap! :)

The SureShot will work, but unless the course is pro mapped - no hazards. If they have the courses you play, and you don't have a gps, I think they have the best to offer - even with the amateur courses vs. pro course ratio.

WTIB:
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

I picked up a SureShot a couple of weeks ago. Alas, I've only been able to use it once, as we got "colded" out this past weekend. The course that I played was an amateur course, so it had front/middle/back. I didn't use it much, as I was trying to get other points (hazards, layups, etc.) marked during the round. I'd recommend going on a slow day and playing as a single if you want to get the course marked in one round. My only gripe was that it took 10 seconds to mark a point (once you told it to mark it). Playing cart/ready golf made it tough to not hold the rest of the group up.

I'm going to get out a play a professionally done course here in the next week or so to see how it goes.
Driver: Sumo 10.5°
3 Wood: T40
2 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 16°
3 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19°
4 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22°Irons: RAC OS 5-PWWedge: CG12 52°Wedge: 56° SWPutter: RossaBall: Titliest NXT Tour

Keep us posted on how you like it... I think the sureshot is a good alternative, but I'm hesitant to go with the "underdog" for a GPS. Then again, I use a mac, so I guess I'm a sucker for a better user-interface :)

I am very tempted to get one... But I have an SG2 and SG4 skycaddie!! Got to dump at least the SG2 before I get the Sureshot!

Would you care to elaborate on what it is about the Sky Caddie that you don't like? Or is the Sureshot just better? I'm going to be investing in a GPS this year and need to decide between either one of SGs you mentioned or a Sureshot.

Thanks!!!
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

Would you care to elaborate on what it is about the Sky Caddie that you don't like? Or is the Sureshot just better? I'm going to be investing in a GPS this year and need to decide between either one of SGs you mentioned or a Sureshot.

The newer SG3/4's have better graphics than the SG1/2 series. I don't like the subscription deals, its a bit pricey to cover the US area, and they are not transferrable should you upgrade to a newer model - you have to bauy a new subscription!

The customer service at SkyCaddie has a horrible reputation, and I can say, they are not very good from my personal experience. The Sureshot has a nice color screen, can keep score (if you decide to enter your strokes), can recommend clubs for you - based upon either you generating average distances based upon your marking your shots, or manually inputting your distances. And when you map a course - you can add hazards - can only do greens in SkyCaddie. Also, I have emailed Sureshot twice in the past and they were quick to respond in both cases - and I don't even own one yet! If they had their database available last year before the holidays... a Sureshot would have been my choice for a new gps.... YMMV Mike

WTIB:
Callaway X-22 Tour irons

I agree about the bad service. I have an SG2, and had problems with it last summer. It was impossible to get tech help over the phone. Also, I like the idea of being able to have your individual club yardages figured in the Sureshot. I'm really considering selling the sky caddy on ebay and buying a sureshot.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I too am debating on which GPS to buy. I tried a sky caddie out (sg3). I really like the intelli green feature. They also have a ton of pro mapped courses too.

I have not used the sureshot but the UI looks to be waaay better.

I think a GPS and a mid-level range finder would be a great combo.

FYI, my friend at Garmin told me ( back in Jan ) that they just bought a golf GPS company and will have a GPS this season. Don't know if it is out yet.

hammerTyme();
stop();

• 4 months later...
I've dropped over 4 strokes from my handicap this year, and I'm positive that a large percentage of the credit goes to the Sureshot unit that I've been using. Prior to this season, I'd only broken 90 once, and now am regularly doing so, including an 80! Having yardages to doglegs, mounds, trees, creeks, f/c/b of greens generates so much confidence!

If I could change anything about the interface, it would be to include the ability to mark clubs and map courses without leaving the "play golf" function. As it is now, you'd have to either dedicate a round (or 2) to mapping the course or mapping club distances or constantly go in and out of different menus, requiring several key presses.

I have to admit, the intelligreen feature of SG sounds like a great idea, because the sureshot only gives distances to the points that you marked and doesn't have the entire green surface mapped. In other words, if you're pin high, but right of the green, your distances to f/c/b are going to be basically the same numbers because you're getting the distances based on the f/c/b as mapped from the fairway. Not a big deal, but would be helpful.

Any other users have feedback, ideas, hidden uses to share?
Driver: Sumo 10.5°
3 Wood: T40
2 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 16°
3 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19°
4 Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22°Irons: RAC OS 5-PWWedge: CG12 52°Wedge: 56° SWPutter: RossaBall: Titliest NXT Tour

My buddy has a SureShot, and my biggest complaint is that he never remembers to charge the batteries before he brings it out to the course! If the batteries were AAA's, it would be easy to cary some extras in my bag, but the batteries in the SureShot are not removable or replaceable.

Note: This thread is 6069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!