Jump to content
IGNORED

My Swing (domc36)


Note: This thread is 3556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Im about a 20ish handicap. I have the typical high capper slice. I experience misshits, super chunky, scald, duff etc. I shoot mid 40's though 9. Broke 30 once this summer. I've been playing since about last June. So a little over a year. So tell me what you guys think. And obviously, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi domc36,

I am by no means a pro, but from what I can tell you do come over the top. I recently fixed my over the top swing by keeping my right elbow "tucked" close to my body. Not a forced thing, just keep it close and have your elbow pointing at your right hip. Once there, you can drop your arms to start the downswing and get the lower body involved.

It also doesn't appear that you move your hips laterally at all in the downswing. I am not sure if this is gospel or not, but I was always told to move your hips forward as you swing down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

at 0:07 of the face-on video, at and just after impact, you can see that you are pulling up and in with a straightening left knee and hips nearly square at impact.

This is a result of you OTT move and the up is your way of creating room for that OTT move.

I'm not the guy to ask about fixes because I setup differently. Still, it seems like you need to give yourself room by maybe clearing your hips or standing a bit farther from the ball or something. Then work on that first move of the downswing being more under than out. Think LPGA.

I know that I am getting closer when at impact I am driving into a flexed lead knee instead of a straightening lead knee.

Great swing for such a new player. And breaking 30 is a real feat.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by rustyredcab

at 0:07 of the face-on video, at and just after impact, you can see that you are pulling up and in with a straightening left knee and hips nearly square at impact.

This is a result of you OTT move and the up is your way of creating room for that OTT move.

I'm not the guy to ask about fixes because I setup differently. Still, it seems like you need to give yourself room by maybe clearing your hips or standing a bit farther from the ball or something. Then work on that first move of the downswing being more under than out. Think LPGA.

I know that I am getting closer when at impact I am driving into a flexed lead knee instead of a straightening lead knee.

Great swing for such a new player. And breaking 30 is a real feat.

WOW. I meant 40...My bad.

I really appreciate your input however, not 100 percent sure what some of the terms you mentioned mean. ott? And standing further from the ball would benefit me? And clearing my hips?

Link to post
Share on other sites

OTT = Over The Top: From a Down The Line view (DTL) if you draw a line from the ball up the shaft at impact. That is your plane line. An over the top swing has the shaft over that line on your downswing. That results is a clubhead swing path that is outside to inside the target line as it approaches and passes the ball. That creates a pull and/or a slice.

Space -- in order to get to the proper impact position of a straight lead arm that is in line with the shaft, you need space to create space for the arms to swing. Note that your arms are not straight up the shaft at address because you have a conventional setup. You can create that space by standing up and raising your shoulders, by spinning your hips toward the target (clearing your hips) and/or by started the whole process a bit farther from the ball.

NOTE: I am NOT a teaching pro. There are some on this site. If you wanted to learn to swing like Moe Norman, I could help you. A conventional swing like you are doing, I am out of my comfort zone. That said, OTT is OTT in your swing and in mine. :)

And breaking 40 is not so bad either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Domc36,

I agree with both Rustyredcab & Haddockd that you have an OTT swing.

Please carefully read this article written by Mike Pedersen as it will shed some light on what an OTT swing is, what are some of the causes, and remedies.

But basically, your back swing is the first fault. Once you get to the top of the backswing, you also make the mistake of moving down with your upper body.

It's important for you to understand that both your takeaway and backswing are under plane. In image #1 , your club head is too low and should be positioned where I placed a green circle. You want to take the club back in between the two white lines. You're also rolling your arms too much. I drew a yellow line on the face of your club, which is very open here. When you get the club to the position behind your hands (green circle) your club face should be parallel with your spine. I also noticed that your right leg is fully extended. Look at i mage #2 of Goerge Howel III. Here, his club is in a better takeaway position, and its face is close to parallel with his spine. Also not how he keeps his right knee flexed.

Please review the 1st video below. Mark Crossfield will explain how it's best to

swing within the plane lines. Then, look at the 2nd video where Shawn Clement will help you with a better approach to your takeaway and backswing.

Rustyredcab mentioned that you pull up in your downswing. Image #3 shows this. You'll want to start the downswing with your lower body, all while (from the B ehind T he L ine perspective - BTL) maintaining your spine tilt or posture. See videos 3 & 4. By keeping your BTL posture, you'll give yourself space in the impact area for which your hands can swing through.  Though you lost some of the your original spine tilt from the BTL perspective, you gained some back in image #4 .

domc36.png

1st video below

2nd video below

3rd video

4th video

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by domc36

Im about a 20ish handicap. I have the typical high capper slice. I experience misshits, super chunky, scald, duff etc. I shoot mid 40's though 9. Broke 30 once this summer. I've been playing since about last June. So a little over a year. So tell me what you guys think. And obviously, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!



Pardon?

Link to post
Share on other sites

MPS67 , Thanks so much. Had a short range session early and really tried to implement some of the new techniques. Ill have a video up shortly.

Sean Miller, Already addressed that. It was a mere typo. Meant to say 40.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Didn't see that post actually - that one guy's Moe Norman avatar is mesmerizing and I skipped over that post of yours - my bad.

Originally Posted by domc36

MPS67, Thanks so much. Had a short range session early and really tried to implement some of the new techniques. Ill have a video up shortly.

Sean Miller, Already addressed that. It was a mere typo. Meant to say 40.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 3556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Jayclay
      Jayclay
      (64 years old)
    2. Joe4
      Joe4
      (48 years old)
    3. Linville
      Linville
      (41 years old)
    4. mitchell10
      mitchell10
      (35 years old)
    5. monkeys
      monkeys
      (23 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...