IGNORED

cleaning gloves

Note: This thread is 4493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey guys. im wondering how you guys clean your gloves. thanks

My clubs-

Driver- Cleveland XL270 

3 wood- Cleveland XL270 HL 3 wood

hybrid and irons-Cleveland Mashie 3 hybrid 

Adams a4r 4 hybrid-gw

wedges- a4r pw, gw, snakeyes 

Callaway x-series jaws 56 Degree, 60 Degree

putter- Oddessey metal-x 

I have tried a number of methods except putting them in the washing machine.

What works for me...I put the glove on inside out, spray it (not soak it) with some degreasing cleaner (Dawn detergent works well too) and rub it with a microfiber cloth. Then I put it on right side out and repeat. It is amazing how tacky they get when the oils from your sweat is removed.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Glove manufacturers advise against trying to clean gloves.  I have suspicions about their motives for that, yet have also find it all too easy to destroy a glove by normal cleaning methods.

My best advice is to keep the grips on your clubs really clean, thus helping prevent the gloves get as dirty as they might.  Cleaning grips will also improve their tackiness.

After about 5 rounds with some range time in between, the glove has already lost it's tackiness and actually has some deterioration on some points. Usually I just replace my glove rather than try to clean it.

There were times where I forget to remove my glove from my back pocket and put it in the washing machine. I would catch it when I transfer my gloves into the dryer and just hang dry the glove and surprisingly turned out to regain its tackiness. Wouldn't recommend it though...haha

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I find if I keep my grips clean (regularly wash them with dish soap & water) I rarely need the gloves (days of >80% humidity notwithstanding).  When I do use a glove I find they last significantly longer if I don't wear them between shots.

Brad

To hell with golf gloves. I'm going to wear my Foamex Work Gloves. Easy to clean, last a long while.... ;) Nice and tacky. I don't see anything in the rules........ ;)

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

• 3 weeks later...

Really??! Are you guys serious?!?! Cleaning golf gloves?!?!

Do you disinfect the groves of your clubs too? Use Purell between shots?

Come on guys! Golf is a sport, this doesn't help its' image.

Use your glove till it rips, no matter how dirty. That's life. It gets dirty, live with it.

I don't really wash my gloves, but I find putting them back into the sleeve or whatever they came in and rotating them significantly increases the amount of time they last.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Pat007

Really??! Are you guys serious?!?! Cleaning golf gloves?!?!

Do you disinfect the groves of your clubs too? Use Purell between shots?

Come on guys! Golf is a sport, this doesn't help its' image.

Use your glove till it rips, no matter how dirty. That's life. It gets dirty, live with it.

It's about taking care of things so that they last longer and are more presentable. As a matter of fact, yes I do all of the above and I even wash my hands after using the bathroom as well. You keep your sweat-soaked, smelly glove, until it rips. I'll continue to wash mine and practice hygiene.

Not to mention the obvious as well, but a clean glove that is tacky and soft is what the idea is all about. A dirty glove has no grip.

Wash them with some saddle soap (like I use on my shoes) and water.  Seems to work fine.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Tried the "Dawn" approach and it did bring the tack back.  Thanks Spyder.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Glad it worked!

There are times when you just need a new glove, but if it is dirty and still fairly new, any type of degreaser "Dish Soap" (Dawn, Ajax, Purex, etc.) will do the trick. Sometimes I'll make the mistake of finding a tour performance ball in some weeds as I'm unfortunately looking for mine. I'll get a little too excited finding a ball of equal performance/cost and grab it from its plug in the weeds and dirty up a new glove. This is my remedy!

Additional FYI : Taking a dish rag and soaking it in some Dawn with warm water will also rejuvenate your club's grip as well. Just remember to have another towel on hand and lightly rub off excess water after using another wet rag to get the soap off.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm..... I've never thought about cleaning my gloves before.  I usually just end up buying another glove for about $10.  That's an interesting concept though.  I usually play with my glove until there is a hole in it or there are areas that are so worn out that they are so thin and about to tear and trust me, the glove gets mighty dirty by then.  But this is a great idea!

Well, Golf is expensive as it is. Whether your glove is $10.00 or $25.00, you can most likely get a few more rounds out of the glove if you clean it with the warm water and dawn. I used to go through 1 glove per every 2 rounds of golf. Now I'm usually able to get 4 or 5 rounds out of my gloves. Cleaning them just makes them a little more flexible and slightly more resistant to tearing. A clean glove also improves shot quality as your glove will have grip like day 1.

I usually do the warm water+dawn on my club grips about once every 2-3 rounds as well. It's really shocking how much oil the grips actually pull out of your hands, not to mention random dirt that they attract like a magnet (especially if you're a player who lays his wedge down just off the green w/ putter in hand, or taking 2 clubs during cart path only just in case).

• 1 month later...

I've never tried to wash a golf glove before.  I always remove it immediately after every shot to keep it from getting soaked in sweat and as fresh as possible. I even rotate between 2 gloves between shots on hot/humid days. My gloves tend to last and stay fresh enough until it gets worn to the point that it begins to wear through somewhere. When that happens, I replace it.....

There is nothing worse than a greaaazy,slimy, nasty, sweat soaked glove...LOL

If you follow the above recommendation, the glove will wear out and tear before it gets too dirty.  If you are going through gloves faster, it's because a bad grip is ripping them prematurely or you leave it on for the entire round allowing it to get soaked in sweat.  I probably get 15 rounds from a glove and I only wear gloves in good condition!!   I never really tracked how long they last so I don't really know for sure.  I buy gloves by the box of 6....LOL.  I'm a lefty that is picky, so I order in bulk because most pro shops don't carry what I want for lefties.

I figure I buy between 1-2 boxes of six a year and I play between 110-130rounds per year......If I average 9 gloves over 130 rounds.....15 rounds per glove is about right.  Of course that's just a guestimate........LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

After reading this thread, I thought I would try some of the suggestions.  Saddle soap seemed to work OK, the glove came out feeling fine, and a lot of the dirt seemed to go away.  Dawn didn't do much, and the glove seemed to lose a lot of its suppleness, like the detergent removed the natural oils in the glove.

I think from now on, I'll just let nature take its course.  If the gloves get dirty, they get dirty. Maybe I'll try saddle soap again, but not Dawn.

I don't understand how people get dirt on their gloves?  ......other than sweat stains/oils, how does anything else get on the glove?

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!