IGNORED

Big Break - Ireland

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree, I was shocked Matt lost but I think he made a mistake taking Mallory.  I would have taken Mark since he appeared off his game and was the reason they were in the elimination challenge to begin with.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would have been distraught if Mallory got eliminated ... she did luck out on that mishit low chip shot.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I'm guessing you have a couple of reasons why you'd be distraught.  She did get lucky but in fairness I don't think she deserved to be in the elimination challenge to begin with.  They definitely need to pick warmer locations or at least have some footage from the indoor pools when they have girls on Big Break.

Originally Posted by inthehole

I would have been distraught if Mallory got eliminated ... she did luck out on that mishit low chip shot.

Joe Paradiso

didnt think much of Mallory until i watched the last episode

shes super cute...like Sara Brown cute.....

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Murph, the Irish guy, was a guest on one of the original Playing Lessons With the Pros shows, with Rocco Mediate as the pro.

That's where I remember him from! Thanks for that! This whole time I've been like "shit, have I played golf with that guy before? Why is he so familiar??"

Originally Posted by RyderJ

Pretty sure that Bennet fully intended on throwing those competitions to pit himself against who he felt was weakest on his team. It might sound crazy, but if you really take a look at it, it's not a bad strategy. I still hope the pretty boy goes home soon though.

Good theory, but with 5K on the line, probably not.

Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger

That seems to be the theme among Big Break players who play big tour events; they can't limit the above-par holes. Ryann has the same tendency but she typically overcomes it with high percentage of birdies. Gerina (Mendoza) Piller actually is the steadiest of the Big Break alums. She has a chance at a long LPGA career, particularly if she increases her birdie rate just enough.

If you're referring to Ryann O'Toole, she made the Solheim Cup Team this year. She's the best Big Break Female Alum.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I agree, I was shocked Matt lost but I think he made a mistake taking Mallory.  I would have taken Mark since he appeared off his game and was the reason they were in the elimination challenge to begin with.

I agree, I would've gone with Mark, but I don't think it was a mistake taking Mallory. A three putt and a failed up-and-down were the biggest mistakes; being that he said he was using a 5-iron from 160 on that opening par-3, I can't fault him too much for missing that green.

I'm enjoying the season so far. The K-Club is beautiful. I thought Annie was the hottest member of the cast. Too bad she's gone already, but that said, her swing wasn't too pretty to look at.

This is my 8th season of Big Break (I've seen all of them from Mesquite (2007) to present). Indian Wells has been my favorite so far, with Disney as my second favorite. That isn't to say I don't enjoy all the other seasons. It's a great show. I'd put Sandals at a very close 3rd. PEI I'd put as a very close 4th.

I'll go ahead and say the former Nationwide guy is going to take it down (I can't remember his name; the Canadian guy I believe?). Not really going on a limb with this call though

Constantine

indeed !

I'm guessing you have a couple of reasons why you'd be distraught.   .

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• Administrator

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

If you're referring to Ryann O'Toole, she made the Solheim Cup Team this year. She's the best Big Break Female Alum.

I think that honor goes to... Kristy McPherson.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I think that honor goes to... Kristy McPherson.

Good nomination; Big Break 6 was before my time. She's been better for longer than Ryann has. I think Ryann has the most upside though.

Constantine

I absolutely love how Mallory keeps getting picked for the elimination challenges (presumably because she's seen as weak), then winning them.

If any of these players were as confident as they make themselves out to be, they'd pick the *strongest* golfer for the elimination challenge since it would be their opportunity to single-handedly get rid of the biggest threat.

Bill

Yea I think I was wrong about Mallory being a good pick for elimination. I'm shocked no one is picking Mark. The guy is completely consumed by anger. Maybe that fuels his game though, I don't know. Personally though, the guy really needs to "get over it" already.

Constantine

Mallory has shown she isn't going to fall apart under pressure so if you're going to beat her in elimination you need to outplay her.  Mark seems to have a very high opinion of himself and goes into a tailspin when he doesn't perform to the level he thinks he should.  The chipping competition was classic in that after watching the other team struggle he thought he'd walk up and hole it out because he's the superior golfer.  I really liked him in the first two shows but in the last two he's really started to show his true colors.   Will be interesting next week to see if he can get his game back.

Joe Paradiso

I really liked him in the first two shows but in the last two he's really started to show his true colors.   Will be interesting next week to see if he can get his game back.

Me too. He was more or less the first contestant on the show I began to root for. But he simply cannot get get over the other team celebrating his missed approach from a few episodes ago. I hope he puts it out of his mind soon and gets back to focusing on his own game. Or else he won't be around much longer.

I do appreciate him keeping it entertaining though.

Constantine

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I absolutely love how Mallory keeps getting picked for the elimination challenges (presumably because she's seen as weak), then winning them.

If any of these players were as confident as they make themselves out to be, they'd pick the *strongest* golfer for the elimination challenge since it would be their opportunity to single-handedly get rid of the biggest threat.

I disagree.  If the object is to survive as long as possible, the best way to do that is to carry a strong team as long as possible so that you're never in the elimination round to begin with.  I would always pick the weakest players.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Yea I think I was wrong about Mallory being a good pick for elimination. I'm shocked no one is picking Mark. The guy is completely consumed by anger. Maybe that fuels his game though, I don't know. Personally though, the guy really needs to "get over it" already.

i thought he was fun and funny at first.  now though, i'm getting real tired of his attitude.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I must admit that I have missed all of the Big Break Seasons, save the inagaural, until flicking it on this past week, when Mallory won like her 3rd elimination challenge.

Whoooeee... not only is Mallory ummm... "talented"... but she's tough as nails to boot!!

Can't wait until next week's episode, and I guess I'll have to catch up on this season on-line.

The #1 goal in big break if you want to win is avoiding elimination challenges.  Even the best player versus the worst will probably only win 80% of the time. That sounds good until to do the math on your odds of winning 3 or 4 elimination challenges. Every week you survive is one more chance for someone else to eliminate that strong player.

They only way it would make sense to challenge a strong player was if you knew what the challenge was and you had a big advantage there.  For example if the better player had an awesome short game and an ok long game and you were the inverse, if the challenge was long drive it might make sense to try and eliminate them. As far as I know the contestants don't know the challenges (and this season they seem to be real golf) ahead of time.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I disagree.  If the object is to survive as long as possible, the best way to do that is to carry a strong team as long as possible so that you're never in the elimination round to begin with.  I would always pick the weakest players.

Brandon

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Brandon

Originally Posted by x129

The #1 goal in big break if you want to win is avoiding elimination challenges.  Even the best player versus the worst will probably only win 80% of the time. That sounds good until to do the math on your odds of winning 3 or 4 elimination challenges. Every week you survive is one more chance for someone else to eliminate that strong player.

They only way it would make sense to challenge a strong player was if you knew what the challenge was and you had a big advantage there.  For example if the better player had an awesome short game and an ok long game and you were the inverse, if the challenge was long drive it might make sense to try and eliminate them. As far as I know the contestants don't know the challenges (and this season they seem to be real golf) ahead of time.

Good points, you guys have convinced me.

Bill

Note: This thread is 3655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!