IGNORED

Big Break - Ireland

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think Nina needed it more than the others so she was much more critical of her play because this was key to her moving forward in golf.  I believe her being a multi-sport athlete worked against her in terms of her demeanor.  In the WNBA whining and trash talking are more common and accepted than in golf which didn't help her make friends on the show and gave the producer great content to work with.

Julien has a lot to say about the other team so it will be interesting next week to see how the dynamic is when they all go head to head.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know it's terribly windy and bad conditions over there, but honestly it's some of the worst golf I've ever seen!! Chunking shots, blading shots out of bounds, and some of the worst putting I have seen. Not saying I could do better, but man, none of these guys/gals should win IMO

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated

Definitely not the worst golf I've seen on Big Break.  I've seen most all of the later seasons and there have been some guys/girls that were flat out awful.  I couldn't imagine how they qualified for the show.  I remember reading one time that you had to be a 3 hcp or better but that was a while back.  Most of the people now have some experience on mini tours or at least in college.  But yeah, there have been some moments this season when I have thought, "I can beat this guy myself!"

I've seen a lot worse golf played on prior Big Breaks.  I think this year's golf has actually been pretty good.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I think the low number of replies on this thread is an indication how not-so-great this season has been.

Ka'anapali -- 557 replies

Highway 18 -- 473 (obviously not a BB)

Prince Edward Island -- 426

Indian Wells -- 409

Dominican Republic -- 400

Sandals Resorts -- 356

Michigan -- 249

As of this post Big Break Ireland has only 113 replies and we're already on the final four. Ireland is great and beautiful, but this cast and the structure hasn't been all that entertaining IMO.

I'm rooting for Mallory at this point, and then if not her, Julien. Mark third. I'm not really liking Andy too much.

Constantine

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I think the low number of replies on this thread is an indication how not-so-great this season has been.

Indian Wells -- 409

Sandals Resorts -- 356

Michigan -- 249

As of this post Big Break Ireland has only 113 replies and we're already on the final four. Ireland is great and beautiful, but this cast and the structure hasn't been all that entertaining IMO.

I'm rooting for Mallory at this point, and then if not her, Julien. Mark third. I'm not really liking Andy too much.

while the courses are beautiful, i miss the look of some of the other big breaks -- domican and sandals as an example... something about the beach setting makes it more fun.   watching the current BB, i feel like i need to put on a jacket.   it kinda looks a bit miserable -- they're wearing mittens and ear muffs for crissake!!

plus, like always, i just wish i could see more golf.  i'd love to see a simple 9 or 18 hole match instead of stroke play on just a couple holes.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Andy is gone. I did not see that coming, but if u miss back to back 3 foot putts then i guess its your time to leave the show

• Upvote 2

Driver- Titleist 910 D2 RIP 60 S- shaft

3 wood- Taylormade RBZ S shaft

Hybrid- Taylormade superfast 2.0 S shaft

Irons- Titleist AP2 712 DG- S300

Wedges- titleist vokey sm4

Putter- SC Fast Back

So long, Andy! Think the pressure got to him.  Have to say, he hit some of the more impressive shots I saw this season but ultimately, your flatstick is what takes you places.  Missed two pressure-packed short ones tonight.  Final three!

Julien all the way for me.

Driver- Titleist 910 D2 RIP 60 S- shaft

3 wood- Taylormade RBZ S shaft

Hybrid- Taylormade superfast 2.0 S shaft

Irons- Titleist AP2 712 DG- S300

Wedges- titleist vokey sm4

Putter- SC Fast Back

I am actually quite happy that Andy lost. I was getting sick of his cocky attitude. He made some great shots throughout the show but you can't miss 3 footers and expect to make a living playing golf. I am happy with the final 3 and have no problem with any of them winning. I feel all are competent players the respect the game and their opponents. But I am predicting Julien to win. He seems to be the best putter and a good scrambler under pressure. He made two great up and downs under pressure this episode to keep himself alive.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

you see it in each show so far. (at least of the ones ive watched. Indian Wells AND Ireland.) the strongest competitor doesn't hit any true pressure late because he/she was soo strong early on. When it comes down to it...they see that pressure and realize that it didnt show up nearly as much earlier. Andy had some of the best shots on the show. every one was a highlight. i think he just caught a bad day on the putter trying to jam in into the backside of the hole.

so far i think julian is still trying to find out if he can win this thing. mallory has her daggers out. and mark is an "underdog" although he has the best chance being grown up in irish golf. saw that in the show with his short game/driving ability. Not sure who i want to win now that andy is gone. this has been probly the funniest big break show though haha

I'd like to see them play somewhere warm again.  The gloves and hats for Indian Wells must be an indication of some serious off season rates.  And while Ireland is never the land of warmth I have to put a sweater on just to watch the show.

Never really warmed up (no pun intended) to most of the group on BBI.  Pulling for Julian (after Mallory of course).  I'm always wary of how much is a person's natural personality and how much is for the cameras.  So maybe I'm pulling for the wrong people.

Originally Posted by stealthduffer

I'd like to see them play somewhere warm again.  The gloves and hats for Indian Wells must be an indication of some serious off season rates.  And while Ireland is never the land of warmth I have to put a sweater on just to watch the show.

Never really warmed up (no pun intended) to most of the group on BBI.  Pulling for Julian (after Mallory of course).  I'm always wary of how much is a person's natural personality and how much is for the cameras.  So maybe I'm pulling for the wrong people.

Agreed, although i play in the north east and the weather has become colder and much windier. Other than the fact that courses around here are built much differently, Big Break Ireland "reassures" me that i can play prettty well. Although i haven't played in 40+ mile an hour winds. I did play the other day and it reached 25+. cant be much different.

I also love the idea of links golf. Mark said it...its pure golf...you gotta visit it before you "kick the bucket or such" haha

Back to the show...

If you guys get to see the andy vs. julian matchup notice julians shot into the green on the last hole (or at least i think it was the last hole? might have been the first?. and then notice andy's same shot. Andy played it with the wind and to inside 6 feet or so. mark told them (mallory and andy) early on in the show, to NOT fight the wind. julians' shot was fighting against a left-right wind and it ended up off the green.

If julian is to win, he'll need to learn NOT to fight the win. not neccessarily use the wind. And unless he thinks of it off the top of his head, he wont figure that out. The other 2 arent going to tell him obviously being competitors. Right now in my mind its between mark and mallory. Mallory played a bit of european tour as well as links golf and mark grew up on the links. my prediction is that mark can win only because of experience. havent seen mallory hit too many successful shots into the green yet other than 1 or 2 early on. good putter. but all in all im thinking mark will win this.

Originally Posted by handlez42

If julian is to win, he'll need to learn NOT to fight the win. not neccessarily use the wind. And unless he thinks of it off the top of his head, he wont figure that out.

+1.  He can't seem to pull off the punch shots under pressure....or maybe he can't do it at all.  He got away with his last full swing the other night with a great up and down.  But I kept thinking, "Just pick a club and make a regular swing!"

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Indian Wells -- 409

Sandals Resorts -- 356

Michigan -- 249

Disney had a whopping 828 replies but for some reason, that thread is Tour Talk. Forgot to add that one.

I like Julian, but he's been getting pretty snippy lately. Mark has also returned to my good graces after putting him in the dog house for his tantrum in the earlier episodes.

Should be interesting as always to see how this one finishes.

Constantine

I think the season was good but had a few things working agaisnt it;

• Links golf isn't as popular in the U.S. so many golfers don't relate to it.  I have never played a links course so it's hard to appreciate what they're up against.
  • The weather looks cold, windy and rainy not great weather to show off the ladies non-golf attributes
  • No real drama, there have been some minor incidents but nothing like past seasons especially after Bennet left the show due to illness.
  • The challenges all seem to be the same, immunity challenge is hit the ball from a few designated areas, and elimination challenge is head to head on two holes.  This appears to be the season for all the people that don't like the gimmick challenges.  Every week seemed to be pretty much the same.

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

while the courses are beautiful, i miss the look of some of the other big breaks -- domican and sandals as an example... something about the beach setting makes it more fun.   watching the current BB, i feel like i need to put on a jacket.   it kinda looks a bit miserable -- they're wearing mittens and ear muffs for crissake!!

plus, like always, i just wish i could see more golf.  i'd love to see a simple 9 or 18 hole match instead of stroke play on just a couple holes.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!