IGNORED

Big Break - Ireland

Note: This thread is 2667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Andy is gone. I did not see that coming, but if u miss back to back 3 foot putts then i guess its your time to leave the show

Murph, the Irish guy, was a guest on one of the original Playing Lessons With the Pros shows, with Rocco Mediate as the pro. He said once during the show that back home (Ireland) you have to keep the

I'm rooting for Mallory .      Not sure how she manages an inside out swing with her attributes ... but it'll be fun to watch.     I think everybody was rooting for that GQ guy to get booted off

That was terrible! Neither of them deserved to win that. That was the worst Big Break finale I have seen. Julien has a great short game that kept him in it, he missed alot of greens. But Julien is supposedly dating Mallory so I guess he won something.

Originally Posted by Pope33

I couldn't disagree more! There was twice as many penalty strokes as GIRs. I coulda watched a better match at my local Goat Ranch!!

I don't agree that we need to see them hit GIR over and over for the finale to be good. They were under a lot of pressure the entire time and it came down to the wire. Most BB finales aren't close.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I don't agree that we need to see them hit GIR over and over for the finale to be good. They were under a lot of pressure the entire time and it came down to the wire. Most BB finales aren't close.

There may have been plenty of drama, but only because both golfers were horrible instead of just one.  I'd almost rather watch somebody play good golf and run away with it.

Brandon

Another example of what pressure does to you. Most everyone reading this including myself can't relate to playing a round of golf that is career changing....Most reading these posts choke up on $100 nassaus.....The final was a tad painfull at times but the result was as I had hoped after Andy the most accomplished golfer of the group was eliminated.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

There may have been plenty of drama, but only because both golfers were horrible instead of just one.  I'd almost rather watch somebody play good golf and run away with it.

Brandon

See, I would have considered that a bad finale, from an entertainment stand point. I certainly agree it wasn't the best display of golf I've ever seen.

But for me, the ending made that season. On the one hand, you have the Irish golfer with all the pressure in the world to win his home BB and get the exemptions. He not only won, but he pulled it off with a comeback in extra holes. And on the other hand, you've got a burned-out former Nationwide Tour player who almost quit the game but came on the show to find his love again. Not only does he find it, but he finds Mallory too. Sounds kind of like a made-for-TV golf movie right there with both guys walking away winners.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice work on getting Mallory, Julien! You are truly the winner of BB.

On a side note, it still looked like Julien was burnt out and didn't really want to be there all the time. Maybe being a caddie for Mallory is his future in golf anyway.

Here is what I have to say..

I like the talking between the two players very nice no thrash talking, no hating.. just good playing..the golf wasnt the greatest, but I can't begin to imagine to play for 50k of cash and another 30k in prizes..

I have to say i think Mallory is pretty hot.. and I am a big Brey fan and Sara Brown fan..lOL

Originally Posted by cruzthepug

This photo is from her Facebook page, Julien is her caddie at the LPGA Suncoast Series event this week in Florida. He may not have won Big Break, but in my book, he's the winner.

My wife said, that doesn't look like Mallory. I said, yes, but she's not wearing her wooly hat, huge coat, muffler, and hockey gloves. Julien has a more relaxed expression in his eyes than I ever saw on Big Break.

It took me a while to get used to the boys/girls format, at first not beleiving it to be fair, but once it got up and running I enjoyed it with the exception of the trash talk, for me it took away from the golf focus JMHO. I also dont get the comments about bad golf, I find it refreshing to watch experienced people under the pressure of all or nothing have a go at it and struggle with the pressure of it all ending for them at any moment, I'm a new golfer this year and a late bloomer to boot, golf was so far down my bucket list of things to do and sports to try that I did not even know it was there till I gave it a go this year. You only have to remember Rory at Augusta, Phil and Day  at the Presidents cup to realize this is a tuff game so if its perfect golf you want I think it doesnt exist, not that any sport is easy. try downhill skiing and think about the speed and precision they need. Anyway I liked the series and found the end more than entertaining in the drama department and even though I believed that Julien was the more comfortable and smooth player I was rooting for Mark due to the all apparent burning fire within that he would not give up on and was game to see him take it home.

As far as Mallory I really liked her swing, I mean really liked it, great extension and follow through, although I have no idea about the attributes others referred to (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Just curious, has any Big Break winner made the cut in the tournament they won an exemption into?

I dunno about that, but I do know one former Big Break player (Tommy "two gloves" Gainey) made $2.1 million on the PGA tour in 2011.

Originally Posted by sportsnut

You only have to remember Rory at Augusta, Phil and Day  at the Presidents cup to realize this is a tuff game so if its perfect golf you want I think it doesnt exist, not that any sport is easy. try downhill skiing and think about the speed and precision they need.

When watching downhill skiing, would you rather see a bunch of near perfect runs or an agony of defeat crash every other run?  It's funny, but I'm the type of person that watches races for the crashes, but when it comes to golf, I want to see a near perfect game.

I really enjoyed Big Break series this time around.  I know some of the women are on the LPGA Futures Tour (eg Nicole Smith, Mallory Blackwelder) and are in the finals for their Q school.  I had a sense that the men in the finals (Julian Trudeau and Mark Murphy) were not as close skill level needed to earning a card on the PGA tour.

I wonder if anyone has seen it and could estimate about how good those guys are, and whether they have a realistic shot of ever making it to the next level?

Julien was 1 shot away from his card in 2009 but things haven't gone as well for him lately.  The golfers this season were pretty decent. The girls tended to be younger and better (relative to their competition). There aren't many nationwide players showing up for big break. They can make more money playing tournaments while half the woman are LPGA futures members.

I thought all the golfers this season were decent compared to the last couple of seasons (it was hard to judge with some of the conditions) but there are a lot of decent golfers out there and it is very hard for a +2/+3 type golfer to drop the couple of strokes needed to be a PGA guy.

Originally Posted by unabowler

I really enjoyed Big Break series this time around.  I know some of the women are on the LPGA Futures Tour (eg Nicole Smith, Mallory Blackwelder) and are in the finals for their Q school.  I had a sense that the men in the finals (Julian Trudeau and Mark Murphy) were not as close skill level needed to earning a card on the PGA tour.

I wonder if anyone has seen it and could estimate about how good those guys are, and whether they have a realistic shot of ever making it to the next level?

I enjoyed the show as well and, while all the golfers are exceptional, those last few strokes that are keeping them off the tour are really tough to pare down.  In addition, the numbers game is almost overwhelming.  Remember that Julien didn't get his card but there are 25 new "graduates" from the Nationwide tour that are now fighting for their place on the PGA tour.

Has to be frustrating to be so good but just not quite good enough.  Glad I pretty much s*ck at the game so I can just play to enjoy (and annoy my buddies!).

Note: This thread is 2667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!