IGNORED

Shortening new shafts...Question?

Note: This thread is 3521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im about to buy a few Apollo steel iron shafts from Golf Smith, and in options it says regular/Stiff Flex. I need regular. So to make them regular flex, I cut from the grip end? Im confused on this.

Well.... if the are straight/parallel tip (.370" diameter tips) there will be a certain amount that is specified to be trimmed off the tip end for each iron (in 1/2" increments) to play to a certain flex.  A rare few are 5/8" increments.

Taper tipped shafts (.355" diameter) will already be tipped to a certain flex and ready to be installed, then just butt trimmed to length.

Either way, butt trimming is only done for final length.

So if you are getting straight tip shafts, there can be anywhere from a 1/2" difference up to a 2" difference or more to make it play from a R flex to an S flex.

What is the exact shaft you are looking at?  A part number would help too.

Ok thanks.

These shafts here: http://www.golfsmith.com/products/2033I/Apollo/Acculite_Standard_Stepless_Iron_Shaft

So I need -.5 inch shafts, just because of arm length/height.

Here's the chart:

Flex 3 Iron 4 Iron 5 Iron 6 Iron 7 Iron 8 Iron 9/PW/SW Iron
Regular 0" 1/2" 1" 1 1/2" 2" 2 1/2" 3"
Stiff 1" 1 1/2" 2" 2 1/2" 3" 3 1/2" 4"

So I cut the .5 off the butt, before gripping, but first 1inch(5iron) from the tip before before putting the shaft in the head. Then wouldnt that make my 5 iron 1.5 inches shorter than normal? This where Im confused...

Separate and mark the shafts according to the iron head they will go into.  4i, 5i, 6i, PW, etc...  They will all be 41" in length when you get them.

The reason to label them:

Cut 0.5" off the tip of the 4 iron shaft.

Cut 1" off the tip of the 5 iron shaft.

Cut 1.5" off the tip of the 6 iron shaft.

And so on.

And so on.

Install all the shafts into their appropriate heads without gluing.  Use tape to hold the shaft in if necessary.  Measure the assembled iron and cut to the playing length, minus 1/8" to account for the cap of the grip.

So if you need a 36.5" 7 iron, measure and mark the shaft at 36.375" and cut there.  Once the grip is installed, you will be at the 36.5" length.

*** You can also glue all the shafts in first, then cut to playing length after the epoxy cures.  I like to dry fit and measure everything before gluing in case I need to add a tip weight.  I prefer that over adding lead or tungsten down the shaft and corking.

Measure the club with the with the scoring lines on the face as close to level as possible, then put a yard stick or 48" ruler under the club snugged up to the back of the hosel and shaft and measure it like this:

length.gif

This might help too:

http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/2008HowToBuildClubs.pdf

Originally Posted by domc36

And last question.

I understand that you have to sand the tips of graphite shafts before applying epoxy, do I do the same for steel?

Yes. Remove the chrome.

Note: This thread is 3521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • I said in my post, let’s start simple with 2-years.         You call it stubbornness, I call it prudence. Others disagree with “pretty damn effective” against current variants, let alone those to come.   It’s also worth noting that different vaccines have different levels of effectiveness.   Where Do COVID Vaccines Stand Against the Variants? Drug makers scramble to adapt vaccines to coronavirus variants before they outwit our immune systems.     Again, your personal opinion. And yes, I read and understand the science as well.   Not necessarily. Oftentimes it was my duty to actually put people in harms way…    
    • Of course.  Almost all of us strive, through research and training and other methods, to stay alive.   Military or not.  But in the military you must be willing to put yourself in harm's way to protect your country.  The result could be your death.  When you go in you know this.
    • Debunking mRNA Vaccine Misconceptions—An Overview for Medical Professionals mRNA vaccines are designed to withstand many variants.  It is literally impossible to say what variants will arise though. To the third, why would that matter on whether you take it or not? If you take more, you take more.  I'd assume the first two questions are the key for you, the third is more curiosity.  Would the third be a make it or break it moment?  If anything, it could be yearly.  But the more people vaccinate, the less likely it is we'd need to take more.
    • I've been in a scenario similar before, except I was the player who went over the time and it was an assistant coach who found my first ball as I was addressing my provisional.  Yeah, it really sucks to find the first ball after it's already been declared lost. Knowing that you could have avoided the two strokes if you'd just looked "right over there" instead, but the ball was lost and now at least you aren't out the $4 of a nice ball (assuming you pay for balls, I know many high school/college golfers don't during school tournaments). There was no discussion or arguments on the course, I just told him to toss me the ball and continued to play my provisional, but after the round he pulled me aside to tell me I should have just played the original ball since it was found before I hit the provisional. In all honesty I probably would've scored worse from the position of the original ball (deep in a bush requiring a drop that still would leave me in a bad position), and the ball was already lost. A lost ball stays lost, and if you find it after it's no different than coming out of the woods with an extra couple balls left by earlier golfers. I've also had the coach/caddy of another player in summer tournaments try to twist the rules against me as some kind of "gotcha!" at the scoring tent (where he wasn't even supposed to be allowed) over an event that happened very early in the round. I had pointed out to his player that you can't play from inside of an ESA like you can with other lateral hazards, and apparently that upset him when the player agreed with me rather than him so he claimed I looked too long somewhere on the front 9 for my ball. I hadn't looked for that long, I found it before the other players even started playing their golf balls, but he got himself worked up enough that I just withdrew and left without signing my scorecard or dealing with any of that hassle. This was a guy who made a big deal on the first tee (and multiple other times throughout the round) about being a PGA Professional and that we should all listen to his advice (against the rules) because he was a pro. Those incidents, among others I've encountered along the way, have led me to believe that the people who want to bend the rules are most often the people not actually playing in the event itself, but those who are "indirectly participating" as a caddy/coach/etc. There are no consequences for them directly, if caught the blame lands on the player, but if their players do well they can take the credit. They also usually know enough about the rules to be dangerous, either from intentional or unintentional misinterpretation.
    • After having a golf simulator for 2 months my golf scores have stabilized tremendously. Previously I used to play in the mid to high 90s. My last 3 scores has been 89, 89 and 90 on tough courses. The biggest improvement is that I have completed a golf wedge matrix with 1/3, 2/3 and full swing distances and now I am able to hit the greens over 80% of of the time within 30 yards to 90 yards. This limits most bad holes to bogeys.  There are stretches of 9 holes that I have only 2 over. However, my slices and pulls sometimes resulted in big numbers on a few holes. With the golf simulator, I can see clearly that I still have an out to in swing. When I consciously pretend to have a glove under my right arm pit I hit the balls really well with no pull or slice in practice. However, on the course my pulls and slices often come back which results in double bogeys or even triple bogeys when I lose my balls. I am really optimistic. With the simulator and instant feedback I think I will be able to resolved my out to in swing problem in a few months.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. MasonAsher2014
      MasonAsher2014
      (25 years old)
    2. Ryoung3555
      Ryoung3555
      (57 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...