IGNORED

My Swing (MiniBlueDragon)

MiniBlueDragon
Note: This thread is 3359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Little bit better today with getting the correct transition feeling although I think where I was concentrating too much on armpit pressure and the Hogan transition piece I completely lost any extensor action.

DTL (think the camera slipped as it's a weird angle)

FO

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• 2 weeks later...

Another practice session today.

The good:

- Lovely address posture.

- The little forward bump to start the swing works great.

- Nice one piece takeaway.

- Picture perfect from P1 to P4.

- Transition is more dynamic and the hips are sliding forward far better.

- Actively holding the lag has stopped the club from casting at the top (previously I was letting the wrists be completely loose and the club started casting at P5)

The bad:

- Slight translation of the head backward (about 3 inches) between P6 and P7.

The ugly:

- Fricken chicken! (wing) from P7 - P9 even though my hands are ahead of the club head at impact.

I'm wondering if the issue is that I'm deliberately trying not to roll the wrists over to create a CP release.

Tomorrow I'm going to let the arms do as they please and see if I'm hitting it any better.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Your head translates backwards because your hips are too far forward in the backswing so they cannot go forward in the downswing. I know that sounds a bit counter to getting the hips forward, but they must stay in place in the backswing then go forward in the downswing. Not forward in the backswing and then more forward in the downswing because they won't be able to go much more forward to create your secondary axis tilt. Instead your head moves backwards to create the tilt.

Chicken winging is bit tougher to diagnose from your videos. I think your right arm is straightening too early, especially at P5. I think that might be because you are overswinging a bit. I would rather you stop a bit earlier to avoid having to straighten the right arm so much in the downswing. You then appear quite scrunched up and have to chicken wing it to avoid crashing into the ground.

Some videos where you are not wearing dark colors against a dark background might help a bit more as well. :)

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mchepp

Your head translates backwards because your hips are too far forward in the backswing so they cannot go forward in the downswing. I know that sounds a bit counter to getting the hips forward, but they must stay in place in the backswing then go forward in the downswing. Not forward in the backswing and then more forward in the downswing because they won't be able to go much more forward to create your secondary axis tilt. Instead your head moves backwards to create the tilt.

Chicken winging is bit tougher to diagnose from your videos. I think your right arm is straightening too early, especially at P5. I think that might be because you are overswinging a bit. I would rather you stop a bit earlier to avoid having to straighten the right arm so much in the downswing. You then appear quite scrunched up and have to chicken wing it to avoid crashing into the ground.

Some videos where you are not wearing dark colors against a dark background might help a bit more as well. :)

Thanks for the reply. I've had a look at yesterday's video and I'm not sure the hips are an issue (not saying they're definitely not; just that they don't seem to be an issue):

IMG_0959.jpg IMG_0961.jpg IMG_0962.jpg IMG_0963.jpg IMG_0964.jpg IMG_0965.jpg IMG_0966.jpg

... and then it goes wrong ...

IMG_0967.jpg

I'll try to remember to wear light trousers next time I'm videoing the swing. :)

SWING DNA

I see your point, you are right. I would argue in the swing you are actually not translating backwards in the classical sense, but "hanging back" with too much weight on the right side. To me this comes from not having enough extension. At least in my swing that is the problem. I previously had the exact same problem as you, I still have just not to such a large degree.

I think the extension will help with the chicken wing as well. I still believe though that the right arm straightening too fast is the root of the chicken wing. One drill that I use, is using the swing extender getting to the top of the backswing and then trying to hold with my right arm the 90 degree angle in my right arm. It is just a feel thing but it help the rest of my body understand what it should do when the right arm is bent and not trying to over actively straighten.

Michael

Originally Posted by mchepp

I see your point, you are right. I would argue in the swing you are actually not translating backwards in the classical sense, but "hanging back" with too much weight on the right side. To me this comes from not having enough extension. At least in my swing that is the problem. I previously had the exact same problem as you, I still have just not to such a large degree.

I think the extension will help with the chicken wing as well. I still believe though that the right arm straightening too fast is the root of the chicken wing. One drill that I use, is using the swing extender getting to the top of the backswing and then trying to hold with my right arm the 90 degree angle in my right arm. It is just a feel thing but it help the rest of my body understand what it should do when the right arm is bent and not trying to over actively straighten.

Forgive the intrusion for a moment. For my own swings, slow motion video and frame by frame analysis can make one of my "good" swings look worse and a poor one look better, at least when compared to the entire swing in real time. When I first looked at the OP's swings in real time, there was obviously something slightly off in the timing or "weight shift" on a couple swings, but I couldn't put my untrained finger on it. When looking at the individual positions there seems to be less of an issue.

Fruther momentary detour then I'm out. There are couple drills my instructor recommends doing without a club that really reinforce the feeling of staying connected while turning with the proper sequence. One drill with the hands crossed (back of hands against each other) involves alternating the focus between the right hand (and arm) getting into a proper position while pulling the passive left arm along for the ride. Switch hand positions (it's obvious what that means when doing it) repeat with left arm getting into position while pulling a passive right arm along for the ride. Continuing the drill on the way down through the impact zone and to a proper finish position (or rather proper-ish) is nigh on impossible without proper hip and leg sequence. When the focus isn't on getting the clubhead to the ball it magnifies the body movements. Like hockey related skating drills without a hockey stick as a counterbalance - that's when you really learn to skate.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend the sequencing video Mike put up here somewhere.

endhijack /

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: For some reason I never saw your reply sean, sorry. Do you know of any videos showing that drill by chance?

After yesterday's hosel-tastic practice session I decided to stop trying to force the swing and go back to what feels natural and boy was it nice. I stuck on the Tour Tempo app for a while and then decided to just hit some shots. Even got to the point where I decided to play with some shot shapes. Ooohhh...

Draw

Fade

Straight

SWING DNA

• 1 year later...

Wow has it really been that long since I posted a new video? :o

Here's my swing from this evening's range session. I've made a few observations in the video notes but am curious as to what other people might see to be fixed. :)

SWING DNA

• Administrator
Here's my swing from this evening's range session. I've made a few observations in the video notes but am curious as to what other people might see to be fixed. :)

———————

>

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@MiniBlueDragon If you need some feels for the above let me know.  I worked on this with Erik last fall and the feels with the changes are still fresh in my mind.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Great, cheers guys. 4:00 in the video is exactly the position in the screenshot @iacas posted so I get exactly what the problem is. Next range session I'll take a look and see if I can figure out some feelings for getting those hips open more at impact (think I may have over-corrected a spinner motion and never added the rotation back in after the slide). Might well take you up on that offer @cipher if I can't get it down. :)

SWING DNA

@MiniBlueDragon If you need some feels for the above let me know.  I worked on this with Erik last fall and the feels with the changes are still fresh in my mind.

Well 500 balls or so trying to get this new feeling and all I got was an even more pronounced out-to-in plane and loads of inconsistency on club face contact. As soon as I go back to "normal" square hips at impact things are fine.

Just can't seem to figure out the correct feeling for getting this move down so any suggestions definitely welcome thanks @cipher . Here's the average swing for today:

SWING DNA

• Administrator
Just can't seem to figure out the correct feeling for getting this move down so any suggestions definitely welcome thanks

@cipher. Here's the average swing for today:

@cipher 's drill will not really work for you. His path was sometimes a bit too far OUTward. Yours is not.

Do you have a recent face-on video?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Just can't seem to figure out the correct feeling for getting this move down so any suggestions definitely welcome thanks

@cipher. Here's the average swing for today:

@cipher 's drill will not really work for you. His path was sometimes a bit too far OUTward. Yours is not.

Do you have a recent face-on video?

Unfortunately not; the bays at the range are quite narrow so the camera's always to close to film unless it's in the next bay so I'll only be able to get one when the range is quiet.

I'm away for a couple of days but will try and get down there on Tuesday and see if I can get a face-on video. Thanks @iacas

SWING DNA

• 2 weeks later...

OK I managed to get a couple of swings filmed this afternoon from DTL and FO. As usual my practice swings feel fluid and smooth and then I try to murder the ball and lose all my angles resulting in compensations and "ok" rather than "great" contact on a lot of shots.

SWING DNA

If I may jump in: Not going to offer any advice as I shouldn't :) But I'm just after reading the whole thread from start to finish, and @MiniBlueDragon , it was great to see that last video. You may be struggling with it but it was great to see that right leg move before impact. From the untrained eye, there are an awful lot of good things going on, if you carry through with the advice you're getting here it will transform it into something real nice. You seem to be at a crossroads, it may be very easy to revert to your old swing but it'd be a shame to give up now. I'm assuming your season is like mine (Ireland)... There are plenty of months of non counting comps ahead to work on it. Good luck, and I actually smiled when I watched the last video when I seen that your weight wasn't on your right heel at impact.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a phenomenal range session today and have found that by addressing the ball with a more Hogan stance (more front foot flare and squarer rear foot) I can get my hips and shoulders a little more open at impact. Also shortening the swing has helped with this (will try and get a new couple of videos soon).

One thing I found out today which has stumped me a little:

- I was fitted for my old irons a couple of years ago with a swing speed of 86mph with a 6i. The ideal shaft at the time was a DG S300.

- When I got the MP59's I was never actually fit for the JPX800 Driver 3W and 3H; I just assumed them to also require stiff shaft as per my fitting for irons.

- Last summer I decided to trade-in those MP59's (WAY out of my league for consistent ball striking) and got fitted again for irons but this time the KBS Tour stiff shaft was ideal. Swing speed was again 86mph. The shaft launches the ball at the optimum angle for me and feels solid and penetrating without being too low.

- I've always hit the 3W and 3H perfectly well and am happy with the distance and trajectory I get with them both but I've never been able to hit the driver; it's always the biggest slice I've ever seen in my life.

- Today I managed to hit a couple of shots on Flightscope using a standard regular flex driver and from memory I think I ended up with an average 96mph swing speed, average 246 carry and a lovely soft draw on the shots (3 deg in to out swing path and -1 deg face to path)

It seems to me that for some reason in a driver I need a regular flex in the driver despite everything else being stiff and I can't figure out why?

SWING DNA

Had a phenomenal range session today and have found that by addressing the ball with a more Hogan stance (more front foot flare and squarer rear foot) I can get my hips and shoulders a little more open at impact. Also shortening the swing has helped with this (will try and get a new couple of videos soon).

One thing I found out today which has stumped me a little:

- I was fitted for my old irons a couple of years ago with a swing speed of 86mph with a 6i. The ideal shaft at the time was a DG S300.

- When I got the MP59's I was never actually fit for the JPX800 Driver 3W and 3H; I just assumed them to also require stiff shaft as per my fitting for irons.

- Last summer I decided to trade-in those MP59's (WAY out of my league for consistent ball striking) and got fitted again for irons but this time the KBS Tour stiff shaft was ideal. Swing speed was again 86mph. The shaft launches the ball at the optimum angle for me and feels solid and penetrating without being too low.

- I've always hit the 3W and 3H perfectly well and am happy with the distance and trajectory I get with them both but I've never been able to hit the driver; it's always the biggest slice I've ever seen in my life.

- Today I managed to hit a couple of shots on Flightscope using a standard regular flex driver and from memory I think I ended up with an average 96mph swing speed, average 246 carry and a lovely soft draw on the shots (3 deg in to out swing path and -1 deg face to path)

It seems to me that for some reason in a driver I need a regular flex in the driver despite everything else being stiff and I can't figure out why?

No expert, but I think it depends on the shaft. For example, my driver a Callaway Razr Fit 9.5 degree with an Aldila RIP'D stiff, but has a low softer kick point, if I swing properly, I get a good penetrating semi high ball flight. Now on my 3 wood, a Titleist 910F2 15 degree with a regular flex Diamana Kal'li 75gm mid flex, I get a lower ball flight, due to the mid kick point, and hit either a straightish, or small draw. I chose a regular flex for my 3 wood because for 1 (I hit it off the deck, and 2 I feel as though I can make a slower more accurate swing for better contact, where as the driver, I can be more aggressive sometimes. Also I have no idea what my swing speed is, but for comparison, I hit my 7i about 155-160 with a good swing.

So maybe a regular flex in your driver, or another brand of stiff shaft might be the way to go, just a thought. I should point out that I use DG S300's in my irons.

Note: This thread is 3359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!