IGNORED

The Mental Game in Two Words

iacas
Note: This thread is 953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It is clear to me from observing athletes in action that some are helped by seeing the glass half full (positive) and some are helped by seeing the glass half empty (negative).  It probably depends on the person's history of managing situations where call for improvement.

One of the best reasons for thinking positively that I have seen came from self-help guru Depak Chopra.  He said that if you can manage a problem by either seeing the glass half full or half empty, seeing it half full will lead to a better quality solution to the problem.  At first, I thought, "what difference does it make if you can manage it either way?"  Then I realized that simply managing it doesn't mean equal quality of the final solution. The implication of seeing it half full is that (1) your muscles will be more relaxed, (2) you won't have to divert any mental energy to managing any stress that might result from seeing the glass half empty, and (3) you will have more of your mental capacity to devote to the task at hand.

The above advice was based on a person's ability to see it either way.  If a person is unable to see it half full, then the improvement he/she can get by seeing it half empty may surpass what he/she can gain by trying to see it half full.   One of those zero-sum games in life, but even zero sum games can be overcome by adding resources.

Twenty years ago, I would have considered this as psychology mumbo jumbo, but I gained some wisdom in those twenty years.  My career was in one where the ability to see the glass half empty was important.

Originally Posted by gogolfing

I agree. I see your "enjoy pressure" as enjoying the situation of a tournament round, a shot to win the nassau etc... not as course management. Enjoying the pressure shouldn't equate with always trying the hero shot.

I ran into this at a mixed format 3 day tournament.  It was down to me against someone that I was well matched up with.  We were in match play and I had to win for my team to win the tourney.  My opponent had the honor and he duffed it right in the water.  Of course the first thing I thought of was just get it over the water.  Took the pressure (as my drives were less than great the previous two days) and smacked my drive about 260 dead center of the fairway.  Wound up pretty much winning the tourney with that drive as his next drive was in the woods so ended up laying on the green putting for birdie and 4 strokes to win.

• 1 year later...
I think the majority of reason I score so well is mental. The power of positive thinking rules my game. Because, it's just a game. I am enjoying playing more as of late and really striking well

• Administrator
I think the majority of reason I score so well is mental.

Nope.

Put your mind on the body of a guy who shoots 100 and you'll shoot… in the 90s. You're not shooting 78.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the majority of reason I score so well is mental. The power of positive thinking rules my game. Because, it's just a game. I am enjoying playing more as of late and really striking well

That may be your perception but in reality it's about your skill/ability with your ballstriking.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Two words? "Relaxed Focus" readily comes to my mind.

I read a lot about "pressure" in this thread. My thought is that folks who can't handle the pressures that golf presents, have not experienced much pressure in other aspects of their lives. I think a person who experiences a higher degree pressure than any thing golf can throw at them will be less afraid of what ever golf pressure they face.

I am of the opinion, that surprises and/or fear of the unknown can cause pressure, which can rob a person of their confidence. The full circle completes itself when one loses their confidence, and they put more pressure on themselves.

Myself, I have been golfing for so long, that nothing surprises me anymore as far as the game itself is concerned. No surprises, equals no pressure, which equals no loss of confidence.....99% of the time. :beer:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My favorite two-worders of the thread so far:

Enjoy Pressure

Embrace Challenge

Be Present

Focused Indifference

Relaxed Focus

...and my contribution (via Moe Norman) that relates to the bottom 3 directly, and I think can help with the first two:

Alert Indifference

Kevin

Eric pretty much sums this thread back in 2011 in the opening post.

I would simply say "Play Golf"

Golf can be a game of great pressures during any given moment, at times.

It can be at times, when your not even playing a shot or putt (when your opponent makes a shot or putt to potentially win)

At times a player may either be winning or having a great round and then the pressures to close the deal build.

Today on yahoo there was an article about what pro's would change if they could start over.

Many of the answers were similar, "enjoy the game and slow down"

Slow down referred to trying not to accomplish too much too quickly.

Good article, http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/advice-players-would-give-their-20-year-old-selves/

20 Years of Golf: Players' advice to 20-year-old selves

(Editor’s note: Golf Channel turns 20 years old on Jan. 17. In recognition, we are looking back at golf over the last two decades with a series of articles and photo galleries throughout the week.)

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

That may be your perception but in reality it's about your skill/ability with your ballstriking.

I guess I meant when I am thinking positive and enjoying my game, I play really well, not so much when I was younger and put too much pressure on myself and was hard on myself.

• 2 weeks later...
How about "left brain." We learn with our prefrontal cortex, our intellect, but need that side of our brain to recede - become quiet - when we play golf. When people say they are not thinking during a great round, that is what is happening. They are relying on the other prts of their brain that control balance, timing, athletic motion.

Paul Kaster - 5SK Director of Instruction for Northern New Jersey

Teaching Professional

The Golf Cave

Royce Brook Academy of Golf

www.paulkastergolf.com

Follow me on Twitter

Like my Facebook for updates

All in life is about attitude. Don´t need to say that, of course, you need to work hard in order to achieve your goals, whatever they are. You are not able to play good golf just believing that you are able to do it. you need to prepare yourself, and train hard. But, if you play good but don´t have the ability to control yourself and have confidence, there is no way to make a good round. I have proved myself, that when I keep a good mood and confidence during a round, I do at least 30 points, almost in the worst day. When I give up in the middle of the round, because I have hit some bad shots, it´s gonna be a really bad result, and worse, a really bad day...

:pound:

:nike:

When I first started playing and joined a golf league I had no confidence in my game. I was as likely to shank a ball just because I was worried about not hitting it well. Which of course led to me trying not to shank a ball, which lead to me tensing up and shanking the ball. It is a vicious circle, which goes around and around, which makes it a circle!

It does not help that I used to suffer from bad anxiety, I used to get near crippling stage fright before performance and on occasion would get wobbly knees on the tee.

The thing is I never had this issue at the range. I was by myself and just hitting the shots I wanted.

When I thought it over I realized that "pressure", for me, came from trying hit the shot I wanted and the shot executed the way I knew I could. Failure to do so was rattling around my brain.

I needed to have no shanks, no nubbed balls, perfect execution (for a noob),

Then I learned to stop worrying and love the challenge. I started to adopt a saying from the Matrix, "there is no Spoon!". Which soon became "no spoon", to finally "spoon". I know once you take out the other words it becomes the battle cry for the Tick!,

However this was a means to remind me that this is just a game, nothing bad will happen if I shank a ball, if a double bogie a hole. I will have a bad score, but ultimately my kids dont care, they are still healthy and happy, so why the pressure, this is a game not my livelihood.

I know how to hit a ball so I have found the joy in the challenge of the next shot, no matter how that shot lies. I dont get upset or have a tantrum or throw a club (never done that),  I have calmed down and learn to enjoy the game.

SPOON!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I have always struggled with trying to kill ball. The harder I try to swing the crazier I hit the ball.

What I have learned lately is twofold. First off "Stand closer" and "Swing easy".

When I stop trying to reach and kill it and focus on setup and loosely swinging, I am getting a lot better at ball striking.

So for me at least "Stand closer" and "Swing easy" are important swing thoughts for me.

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

• 4 months later...

Little OT but posted this in another thread and thought it might fit well here. In response to Tiger saying he's close or that he's seeing progress even when he was shooting crappy scores.

Also part of having a good mental game or whatever is being a little delusional about the bad rounds and not letting yourself get too up with the good rounds.

One thing to point out, I don't mean to be delusional to the point where you're not realistic that you need to work on something. Tiger is obviously aware that his game has sucked and he's working hard to turn it around. He doesn't catastrophize the situation (like a lot of golfers do), he's trying to find little positives to build on.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

"Enjoy Pressure" works to be sure. However, what about the golfer who never feels much, or any pressure? I mean when I go out and play my game is what it is for that round. I hit a poor shot, and it's a smile, and my next shot. Same as when I hit good shots. I do play the best I can, but I never have any expectations as to how I am actually going to play.

Even when I play a competitive round in a league, or with some one. They are either better than me, same as me, or worse than me. Regardless of which one, I just play own game. I watch, learn, or I am entertained. Maybe all three.

I guess my two words might be "focus/forget",  before, and after each shot.  Then again, is that few seconds of being  focused a type of pressure? If it is, I enjoy it.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!