IGNORED

My Swing (sean_miller)

sean_miller
Note: This thread is 4270 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like your backswing, transition and downswing. Not so keen on this bit going through the ball. Don't mean to dog you, just that I tend toward the same sling/underflip move, so it jumps out at me.

Miller.jpg

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

Like your backswing, transition and downswing. Not so keen on this bit going through the ball. Don't mean to dog you, just that I tend toward the same sling/underflip move, so it jumps out at me.

That's called releasing the clubhead after impact. It's not in the S&T; guidebook.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by sean_miller

That's called releasing the clubhead after impact. It's not in the S&T; guidebook.

No, one of the many ways in which we've moved beyond or away . Still, I think Andrew is saying you're close to flipping pre- impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

No, one of the many ways in which we've moved beyond or away. Still, I think Andrew is saying you're close to flipping pre-impact.

It's certainly something I need to keep an eye on as my irons already go too high, but at the point in the picture on the left (2-3 feet after impact) the shaft is still in line with my right arm. Someone can call folding the right arm on the way back and the left after impact (very old timey) a flip if they're working on something else, but a Ricky Fowler type extension of the arms is not natural to me.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

It's certainly something I need to keep an eye on as my irons already go too high, but at the point in the picture on the left (2-3 feet after impact) the shaft is still in line with my right arm. Someone can call folding the right arm on the way back and the left after impact (very old timey) a flip if they're working on something else, but a Ricky Fowler type extension of the arms is not natural to me.

As you know, I don't care about when it's inline with your RIGHT arm. It's when it's inline with your LEFT arm that matters.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

As you know, I don't care about when it's inline with your RIGHT arm. It's when it's inline with your LEFT arm that matters.

That would be just on either side of impact if all goes according to plan. There's some timing involved, and I hit long irons okay, but could be much more consistent. I suspect the left arm is straighter longer with short irons and wedges, because that's how it feels. Every so often feel is somewhat accurate.

• Administrator

That would be just on either side of impact if all goes according to plan. There's some timing involved, and I hit long irons okay, but could be much more consistent. I suspect the left arm is straighter longer with short irons and wedges, because that's how it feels. Every so often feel is somewhat accurate.

Just after impact is fine if that's when it actually is, yes. :)

Just had my final lesson and it's with this swing I'll be starting the 2012 season.

000A2.bmp

• 4 months later...

2 wood (might put this in the bag but probably not)

Driver - only for practice at this point. Not sure what I expect to gain, but it feels nice to swing again.

2 wood (might put this in the bag but probably not)

Driver - only for practice at this point. Not sure what I expect to gain, but it feels nice to swing again.

That's cool!  You prompted me to ask my parents to peek into the abyss that is their garage and see if my dad's old clubs are still around.  It's been ages but I remember them well - Powerbilt Citation's from the '70s.

I did put the 2-wood in the bag for a few holes. Similar length and feel to a 2-iron tbh.

I might have figured out the tee shot on one par 3 that always gives me fits. I need to club down as it's down hill - it became obvioius once I started setting up to take this video. I also noted how shaggy they keep the tee boxes on the front 9 - like playing out of the rough.

Someone suggested 10(ish) cappers probably can't get to the green. That might be true in a lot of cases, but there are so many ways to turn a couple good shots into a bogey. On another hole, I thought for sure I was taking video of a birdie, but alas, another bogey.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL25D1F2BB23CC6CE0

I did put the 2-wood in the bag for a few holes. Similar length and feel to a 2-iron tbh.

I might have figured out the tee shot on one par 3 that always gives me fits. I need to club down as it's down hill - it became obvioius once I started setting up to take this video. I also noted how shaggy they keep the tee boxes on the front 9 - like playing out of the rough.

Someone suggested 10(ish) cappers probably can't get to the green. That might be true in a lot of cases, but there are so many ways to turn a couple good shots into a bogey. On another hole, I thought for sure I was taking video of a birdie, but alas, another bogey.

On that 320ish yd par 4... Your 58* wedge... It looked like your clubface was serverly shut on the takeaway.  Almost hooded.  I haven't watched many of your videos, but is that normal for you with a short iron?  I ask as your 3i swing (off the tee) looked pretty solid.

One other comment... Why do you take two practice swings - pretty fast swings I'll add... Then tee the ball up?  I see guys take some basic swings before they setup to the ball - and then maybe a more concentrated practice swing - focusing on the target - then going right into and hitting the shot.  Your routine seems like the practice swings are kind of wasted - as there is a lot of other task that are required by your brain to process - like finding a tee on the ground - then teeing the ball up - before you reset and actually make a swing.

My recommendation would be to modify your preshot routine...  Do the practice swings after the ball is tee'd up... And then hit the shot while the mechanics/feels are fresh in your brain.

• Administrator

177-yard 8-iron?

WE DIDN'T SEE THE GREEN BEFORE YOU HIT - THE BALL WAS PLANTED THERE!

Just kidding. :D

It'd be cool to see more videos like these, of people playing golf. I know Shawn Clement had videos of him playing golf and going through his thought processes.

I did put the 2-wood in the bag for a few holes. Similar length and feel to a 2-iron tbh. I might have figured out the tee shot on one par 3 that always gives me fits. I need to club down as it's down hill - it became obvioius once I started setting up to take this video. I also noted how shaggy they keep the tee boxes on the front 9 - like playing out of the rough. Someone suggested 10(ish) cappers probably can't get to the green. That might be true in a lot of cases, but there are so many ways to turn a couple good shots into a bogey. On another hole, I thought for sure I was taking video of a birdie, but alas, another bogey.

Awesome videos. I know you've suggested it before, but if I can get out to a course that's fairly empty by the end of the year, I'll try to get video of at least a few holes. Maybe I'll tie it in with the Forward Tees thing (describing my thought process on, say, a 300-yard par four that's relatively benign, where I could hit a driver or a 7-iron and still feel okay with my approach distance). Love the zoom-in on the 8-iron shot.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Quote:

On that 320ish yd par 4... Your 58* wedge... It looked like your clubface was serverly shut on the takeaway.  Almost hooded.  I haven't watched many of your videos, but is that normal for you with a short iron?  I ask as your 3i swing (off the tee) looked pretty solid.

One other comment... Why do you take two practice swings - pretty fast swings I'll add... Then tee the ball up?  I see guys take some basic swings before they setup to the ball - and then maybe a more concentrated practice swing - focusing on the target - then going right into and hitting the shot.  Your routine seems like the practice swings are kind of wasted - as there is a lot of other task that are required by your brain to process - like finding a tee on the ground - then teeing the ball up - before you reset and actually make a swing.

My recommendation would be to modify your preshot routine...  Do the practice swings after the ball is tee'd up... And then hit the shot while the mechanics/feels are fresh in your brain.

Not sure if the closed face on the wedge is a normal shot or due to a compensation for previous miss or getting used to new wedges that I'm not exactly 100% comfortable nor satisfied with.

Regarding, "One other comment... Why do you take two practice swings - pretty fast swings I'll add... Then tee the ball up?". I don't seem to be doing that on any other shots here or in videos shot last year. My preshot is 1.) line up the face, waggle, then go. I was likely swinging for posterity to help line up the camer for future shots. Nothing more nothing less.

Not sure if the closed face on the wedge is a normal shot or due to a compensation for previous miss or getting used to new wedges that I'm not exactly 100% comfortable nor satisfied with.

Regarding, "One other comment... Why do you take two practice swings - pretty fast swings I'll add... Then tee the ball up?". I don't seem to be doing that on any other shots here or in videos shot last year. My preshot is 1.) line up the face, waggle, then go. I was likely swinging for posterity to help line up the camer for future shots. Nothing more nothing less.

Got it.  You have a solid swing.  And I envy that you get to play golf without anyone in front or behind you.  Looks like you're the only soul around playing golf in those videos.  I would love that kind of serenity on the golf course!!   Here in OC...The courses are packed to the gills.  And watching your video(s) made me jealous!!

Note: This thread is 4270 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!