IGNORED

Greg Norman's Rant on Tiger Woods

Papi
Note: This thread is 4564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The media needs to stop asking golfers their opinion on Tiger as it's getting old.  Tiger has done a lot for the sport but he's not relevant to what's happening in the game currently.  I'd much rather hear their opinions on their current competition on not speculation on Tigers return or personal life.   Norman thinks he might be able to give some advice to Tiger but Tiger hasn't asked for it, so it's a non-story.

Yes, the media should stop asking other golfers for their opinion on Tiger, but your assertion that Tiger is no longer "relevant" to golf just does not hold up.  Case in point, Tiger will be playing in this week's Fry.com Open ( http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/20111003?sub_id=GdepOqGKZAGv#pg8 ) and the tournament director said that tickets sales were up more than 40% from last year (he attributed most of those sales coming in after Tiger's announcement), volunteers also flocked to offer their services and sponsors were willing to part with their cash.  This for a tournament that typically struggled to draw fans, generate enthusiasm, and retain sponsors acording to the article.  Tiger is very much still relevant by his presence even if his game currently does not hold up.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

I thought John Daly already had this gig booked with Tiger.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Point well taken, I agree he's relevant to ratings and attendance as I've stated in other posts but in terms of who's winning tournaments he's not even in the Top 50 at this point.  Dale Ernhardt Jr gets a ton of press from the media that covers NASCAR because of his dad, but he isn't the guy the other racers worry about on race day.  I see Tiger in much the same way at this point in that there are many good - great golfers right now that warrant discussion with regards to the top tournament contenders and until he demonstrates otherwise Tiger isn't one of them.

Originally Posted by ERdiesel

Yes, the media should stop asking other golfers for their opinion on Tiger, but your assertion that Tiger is no longer "relevant" to golf just does not hold up.  Case in point, Tiger will be playing in this week's Fry.com Open ( http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/20111003?sub_id=GdepOqGKZAGv#pg8 ) and the tournament director said that tickets sales were up more than 40% from last year (he attributed most of those sales coming in after Tiger's announcement), volunteers also flocked to offer their services and sponsors were willing to part with their cash.  This for a tournament that typically struggled to draw fans, generate enthusiasm, and retain sponsors acording to the article.  Tiger is very much still relevant by his presence even if his game currently does not hold up.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger will not socialize or talk to anyone who will gossip or name drop to the public and answer questions from the media about him.  Thats what happened to Butch, Hank Haney, Steve Williams, and Charles Barkley.

Tiger also views himself as the military like commander in chief, and when Steve publically said Tiger would have to gain his trust.  This put Steve over Tiger.  And I knew it was only a matter of time till Steve Williams was gone.  Think what would happen if the commander of the Marines Corp would say to the media that President Obama would have to earn his trust.

If anyone thinks Tiger would go to a gossiping Greg Norman for advice, and it would also mean that Tiger would be publically acknowledge Greg as his elder, superior. Won't ever happen .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Greg is still talking .

Greg Norman said:

“I can understand the name of a Tiger Woods and his history of what he’s done on the golf course,” Norman said. “But I pick the guys who I think are ready to get in there and play and have performed to the highest levels leading up to it.”

“If I was in his shoes, I would feel like I got gut-checked a little bit,” Norman said. “He’s a young guy. He likes the Presidents Cup. He loves the idea of playing for his country, and he’s not. So I feel for him.”

Couples fired back:
“I have no problem with Greg. He can say whatever he wants, but I’m not really into that. I play golf with my clubs,” Couples said after his seven-shot win. “Robert Allenby is his pick, and Aaron Baddeley, and they’re Australians and I think they’re great picks. But I think I can sit here and say Robert Allenby hasn’t won a tournament in 10 years.”

I think the point goes to Freddie on that exchange.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by neophyte

Tiger will not socialize or talk to anyone who will gossip or name drop to the public and answer questions from the media about him.  Thats what happened to Butch, Hank Haney, Steve Williams, and Charles Barkley.

Tiger also views himself as the military like commander in chief, and when Steve publically said Tiger would have to gain his trust.  This put Steve over Tiger.  And I knew it was only a matter of time till Steve Williams was gone.  Think what would happen if the commander of the Marines Corp would say to the media that President Obama would have to earn his trust.

If anyone thinks Tiger would go to a gossiping Greg Norman for advice, and it would also mean that Tiger would be publically acknowledge Greg as his elder, superior.  Won't ever happen.

I believe Hank texted Tiger that he was gone ... and Tiger said something like "WTF?"

Hank effectively fired Tiger.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I believe Hank texted Tiger that he was gone ... and Tiger said something like "WTF?"

Hank effectively fired Tiger.

I don't believe that. I think that either Tiger let Hank say that's what happened or Hank read the tea leaves and decided to quit instead of being fired.

But let's talk about Greg Norman here, not Hank Haney. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Couples fired back:
“I have no problem with Greg. He can say whatever he wants, but I’m not really into that. I play golf with my clubs,” Couples said after his seven-shot win. “Robert Allenby is his pick, and Aaron Baddeley, and they’re Australians and I think they’re great picks. But I think I can sit here and say Robert Allenby hasn’t won a tournament in 10 years.”

In John Stewart voice - "Ohhh snap!".

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Seems like a lame attempt for Norman to grab some headlines and attention from the press at Tigers and Couples expense.  Couples response was spot on, hopefully this will shut Norman up for a while.

Joe Paradiso

The Allenby counterpoint is a good one. No PGA Tour wins since 2001, no Euro Tour wins since1996, 5 major top-10s in his career, none since 2008 (but hey, he won on the Sunshine Tour in 2009! :-P I shouldn't kid, the Nedbank attracts a decent field). Tiger's a has-been at worst, Allenby's a never-was at best.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I wish America didn't care about Tiger Woods so much.  Time hasn't change the fact that he is still a spoiled, childish, ***** mongering, very rich an talented pro athlete. I hope he never talks to anyone who could give him advise except maybe someone who could convice him to be a better person, role model etc.  I hope he contiues to play poorly as long as his attitude is so surly.

This isn't a pro Woods sentiment, nor is it anti Allenby, it's a Norman made a dumb statement. Allenby is a great ball striker, I think his putting is not as good.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You have an "interesting" posting style.

Greg Norman could have kept his thoughts on Tiger to himself, but there are two things he could advise Tiger on.

1.) Driving

2.) Not giving up

3.) Recovering from injuries

4.) Dealing with spiteful members of the press

Okay, that's 4.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

It is true that Norman could giver Tiger advice on the above things - but Tiger's probably already taken advice from a lot of people be it related to his divorce or how terribly bad he drives the ball.

I just naturally assumed that sean_miller meant driving a car...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You guys laugh at Norman picking Allenby, but you guys haven't played golf in Australia. Playing golf on Sandbelt courses in the height of summer which make the greens at Augusta look like cow paddocks. Now, if the golf club got their way, the greens would be like playing on concrete. Good luck stopping a ball on the greens. Allenby grew up playing these courses, hitting shots with high winds and hard greens. It takes a lot of experience to play these conditions. Tiger has played in these conditions quite a few times, and as a result will be an asset to the US team. See the score last time it was played at Royal Melbourne? And the US had arguably one of the strongest teams they'd ever had in a president's cup.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I have some advice for Tiger as well but he doesn't call me, either.

As for picking Tiger for the President's Cup, I honestly believe Freddy had no choice in the matter.  I can imagine that when he started hinting around that he might not pick Tiger some tournament or PGA official informed him that he would, in fact, be picking Tiger.  TV Viewership doubles at least because of Tiger's presence.  That amounts to real dollars.  You can tell me otherwise but I'll never believe it.

Note: This thread is 4564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!