IGNORED

Greg Norman's Rant on Tiger Woods

Papi
Note: This thread is 4557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He's not exactly a household name or someone even on the tour that gets much media attention.  In fact the most media attention he's gotten recently was when he commented on Tiger.  The guy hasn't finished a Major in 2 1/2 years.

Originally Posted by Kobey

It's a shame that probably 99% of the non-golfing public know who Tiger is but I'd bet almost none have ever heard of Rocco Mediate.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

It's a shame that probably 99% of the non-golfing public know who Tiger is but I'd bet almost none have ever heard of Rocco Mediate.

How is that a shame? A journeyman who barely keeps his Tour status most years versus arguably the best or second best golfer in history?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The point I was trying to make was that the entire sport is pretty much defined by one guy as far as the public is concerned.  They know nothing of the other golfers (I just used Rocco as an example) who actually have personalities.  Maybe that's what Greg was trying to do, bring Tiger out of his shell.  If I could play a round with a professional golfer (past or present) of my choice, Tiger would be way down on the list.

The guys I play golf with all have great personalities but they aren't as good as Tiger Woods.  If you just want to play a fun round of golf with a pro, I agree there are a number of golfers to pick from.  If you want to play a round with an icon of the sport and possibly the best golfer the sport has ever seen, Tiger is the guy.

They know nothing of the other golfers (I just used Rocco as an example) who actually have personalities.

If I could play a round with a professional golfer (past or present) of my choice, Tiger would be way down on the list.

Joe Paradiso

They know nothing of the other golfers (I just used Rocco as an example) who actually have personalities.

Since when did golfers have personalities?  Golfers are the most straight forward shooting, boring professional athlete's you can get.  Rickie Fowler, who's trying to be different, gets blasted for wearing his hat backwards at a press conference?  Why, because the "code" in the golf tells us that "golfers" need to be of a certain etiquette and class.  God forbid that a young, hip up and commer breaks that code...Because of these so called traditions, golfers are like I said...boring.

The game is consumed by Tiger because he single handedly crushed the competition for 10 years like no one has ever seen in the sport.  And on top of that, did it with flare and excitement.  So take the old mans game and inject Tiger woods and what do you get, exactly what you seem to not understand.

Maybe some of the other golfers should win more often and be less "boring" if they want to be noticed by casual fans.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I guess I'm the only person that doesn't love the guy.  Oh well, I can live with that.

I don't "love" Tiger.

I enjoy watching him play golf.  I enjoyed watching him win and I enjoyed the fact that he made the game appeal to my friends so that I can play golf with them to on the weekends.  None of the other "great" personalities you say that exists encouraged my friends to play golf.

Say or feel what you want, but it has nothing to do with "love"...for me at least.  I respect his career and what he has done for the game.  His personal life isn't my business just like yours isn't mine or anyone elses either.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I don't think many here "love the guy", I'd actually guess most don't appreciate the way he's handled his personal life.  That said, the guy is one of, if not the best professional golfers in the history of the sport.  He made golf a main stream sport to the point where kids play it on their xbox and playstation.  Golfing with someone that has done so much in and for the sport of golf would be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I guess I'm the only person that doesn't love the guy.  Oh well, I can live with that.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

I don't "love" Tiger.

There are guys with borderline embarassing Tiger mancrushes (one particularly nauseating f***tard was banned I think), and you're certainly not one of those guys.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Rather than start a new thread I'll add this article here.  Geoff Ogilvy criticizes Couples pick

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/associated-press/ogilvy-criticizes-timing-of-couples-pick-of-woods/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Not sure why Ogilvy felt the need to weigh in on Couple selection.  IMO no one except Keegan Bradley deserves an explanation from Couples on how he came to his decision.  As the article points out, there's still a chance Bradley will get in as an injury replacement.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Rather than start a new thread I'll add this article here.  Geoff Ogilvy criticizes Couples pick

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/associated-press/ogilvy-criticizes-timing-of-couples-pick-of-woods/

Joe Paradiso

You may be correct about calling Norman for" entertainment"...but recently Greg is proof positive of an old Mark Twain bit of advise..."Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth  and confirm it."

Perhaps Norman is trying to desperately make up for his remarkably underachieving career by shooting his mouth off and acting like some kind of "elder of the game" but...

His interview in Golf Mag or Golf Digest this month was atrocious...he is a loose canon spouting forth his incredibly unschooled and/or uninformed opinions on all matters of beast!

Tiger ignoring Norman may well have been his best move since the night his Escalade hit the hydrant.

You're absolutely correct...this is between Couples and Keegan Bradley.(..and perhaps a senior member of the US Team like Phil -in private)....for any of the Internationals to be commenting on Couples picks is inappropriate and perhaps mere gamesmanship on their part...disgraceful behaviour at any rate.

BTW: I happen to think that Freddie has made a mistake here as well and that Keegan is most deserving of a place on the team as the ONLY American holding a Major win this year...

I can only hope that Tiger rises to the challenge and plays more like the Tiger of old...and maybe Keegan gets on the team because Stricker cant play due to injury...

Keegan Bradley doesn't "deserve" selection to the team at all. The only players who deserve selection are those who made the team by their performance. Keegan Bradley didn't do that, even though he had a great season and is obviously a great player. This is no knock on Keegan but I for one am getting sick of people saying how he deserves to be on the team. Maybe I'm only arguing semantics here, but I could argue that he would have been a WORTHY captain's pick, but that's the thing about captain's picks, they're made at the discretion of the captain. Time will tell if Couples made a good choice or not. Plus, since it seems there is a good chance he will get on the team anyways, this all may be a moot point.

Oh, and I've always thought Geoff Ogilvy seemed like a classy guy but I'm having second thoughts now.

Woods isn't trained in etiquette.  he should call and say "thanks but no thanks". since he is not just ignore the offer.  Woods needs advice from someone with whom he is comfortable.  Norman, Trevino etc have offered to help but if there was improvement in Woods' game, get out the spotlight and the book tour.  Woods needs help from someone who teaches and doesn't brag afterwards.  Woods doesn't like sharing the spotlight as exemplified by Fluff, Stevie, etc.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

I agree.  If Greg Norman called and tried to reach out, the very least you can do is say "thanks, but no thanks".  But this is just speculating because we don't know how busy Tiger has been or even if he's gotten the message.

Quote:

Not sure why Ogilvy felt the need to weigh in on Couple selection.  IMO no one except Keegan Bradley deserves an explanation from Couples on how he came to his decision.  As the article points out, there's still a chance Bradley will get in as an injury replacement.

Probably for the same reason Norman weighed-in on Woods: to drum up interest for an end-of-season tournament that no-one's really bothered about.

I'd be surprised if Team USA didn't all but blow away Team Who? by Saturday's afternoon 4somes...

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by bigoak

Woods isn't trained in etiquette.  he should call and say "thanks but no thanks". since he is not just ignore the offer.  Woods needs advice from someone with whom he is comfortable.  Norman, Trevino etc have offered to help but if there was improvement in Woods' game, get out the spotlight and the book tour.  Woods needs help from someone who teaches and doesn't brag afterwards.  Woods doesn't like sharing the spotlight as exemplified by Fluff, Stevie, etc.

That's just one of many reasons why the Foley experiment seems off base.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!