IGNORED

Tiger Woods Swing - Updated Australian Open

michaeljames92
Note: This thread is 4544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's always had a two-stage head dip throughout his career so it's clearly not affecting him. Also I believe he's been aiming for a clean one-plane swing, in which case the head dip isn't a problem anyway.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by uttexas

Bubba Watson and Vijay hit lots of pull fades with the driver.[if IE]>

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I remember an interview with Bubba where he said he has to work the ball because he can't hit it straight.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't but that is just what I read from people who saw him at the bridgestone and USPGA.

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Of course they play fades, and you can do that well.  Those two are probably a different category of player though.  Bubba works the ball a lot, and is 161/185 in total distance efficiency.  Vijay is a little better at 24/185, for example.

Trackman data showed us that the best way to hit it straight and long with the driver is to hit up and out.  For every one degree of up, hit it one degree in-to-out.  With a square to open clubface, you get straight to push-fade.  Pull fade is hitting it with a shut clubface and a path that comes over and to the left in relation to it.  That's the least efficient way to swing the driver according to the data.  My point is, why would we strive to swing in the least efficient way?

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

So Tiger trying to play a pull-fade seems a bit odd to me.  I'd be surprised if that were true.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Administrator

Trackman data showed us that the best way to hit it straight and long with the driver is to hit up and out.  For every one degree of up, hit it one degree in-to-out.

You're confusing a few things... or one thing anyway.

The most efficient way to hit a driver is on the upswing but with a path (the club's path at impact) dead square to the clubface. Not out.

Without getting into it the reason people say "one degree out for every degree up" is because they're saying your base plane line should be shifted right because your club's actual path or "resultant path" is one degree left for each degree up.

I think talking about "base planes" is borderline stupid, because nobody really cares about "base plane lines" - they care and "get" the path the clubhead is on at impact far more easily.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Another swing, this one from the great Terry Rowles

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Most hip turn I've ever seen on a Tiger swing. Too much neck extension at address, could bring hands in a bit earlier, and still approaching the ball a hair under plane.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Quote:

Originally Posted by uttexas

Bubba Watson and Vijay hit lots of pull fades with the driver.[if IE]>

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by iacas

You're confusing a few things... or one thing anyway.

Thanks for the clarification.  I actually had in mind a trackman video similar to what you guys put together where he was using a hula hoop to make the same explanation.  I said "in-to-out" meaning that the club head (for the driver when hit on the upswing) was traveling to the right of the intended line of flight.  I assumed that the face would be square to the path and that the path would be slightly more from the inside to compensate.  If I'm confused, let me know because I may have inadvertently confused those guys I was talking with.

[ Equipment ]

Tiger's missing left a lot...

[ Equipment ]

Tiger's missing left a lot...

Given that big in-to-out path, I'd guess a lot of hooks.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Given that "release", me too.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Terry Rowles always has great video on the web. I wish I was able to afford lessons from him since I live in SF.

I haven't been watching the coverage lately but I see Tiger's shots on Shotlink and it seems that with his current swing that he misses right and if he tries to make a correction he hooks it left. Just what I see from work...

Originally Posted by mvmac

Another swing, this one from the great Terry Rowles

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Hate to criticize more but....

Tiger P4 caddy upper axis 2.jpg

Tiger had his chance to work with a guy that knows the importance of a STABLE axis, now he's stuck

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

One of the issues here is that I've read that Foley deviates the most from a centered pivot (s&t;) when it comes to the driver. Foley talks about a 60/40 backfoot/front foot with the driver and loading into the rear side with the driver. This is part of the reason Tiger is now thrusting his head back a lot going into impact with the driver. Foley's got it backwards, the driver is the most important club to get the front hip forward in the backswing and more forward in the downswing. Detrimental to Tiger's progress, yes.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by jamo

Given that big in-to-out path, I'd guess a lot of hooks.

Absolutely.  Perfect example, the 180 yard duck hook he hit with the driver this past Friday...

That doesn't happen if you aren't coming way in to out with the face slamming shut at the same time.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

Absolutely.  Perfect example, the 180 yard duck hook he hit with the driver this past Friday...

That doesn't happen if you aren't coming way in to out with the face slamming shut at the same time.

Don't be so generous.  Shotlink had it at 160.  That's an improvement over the 85 yarder he hit earlier in the year, so I have to say his misses are improving

[ Equipment ]

Note: This thread is 4544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!