IGNORED

Rolex believes in Tiger!

shades9323
Note: This thread is 4556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Doubt that, maybe it was a Folex.  Rolex makes a quality watch, but I think Tag and Breitling make better looking watches.

Originally Posted by caniac6

My Timex kept better time than my brother in law's Rolex.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by caniac6

My Timex kept better time than my brother in law's Rolex.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

He either doesn't own a winder or flat out just doesn't take care of it. There is no way a battery operated watch should ever out perform a quality automatic.

You're kidding right?  No one believes a mechanical timekeeping device, no matter the quality, will be as accurate as an electronic timekeeping device. Even Rolex will tell you they're in the jewelry business, not the timekeeping business.  While it won't look as nice the Timex you buy at WalMart is more accurate than the Rolex.

• Upvote 2

Butch

It's not at all surprising that an inexpensive electronic watch would beat the pants off even the best mechanical timepiece.  For a few bucks, you can get a crystal oscillator that is accurate to a few parts per million in frequency (i.e., something near 0.0001%).  That can easily translate into < 0.1 seconds per day of drift, or maybe a few minutes per year.  While the cheapest watches probably don't do this well because of temperature variations, etc, it's much easier to compensate the electronics than the elaborate gearing in a mechanical watch.  I'd take a $30 Timex over any mechanical watch for accuracy, and wouldn't be surprised if cheaper crystal watches were more accurate as well.

There's a reason that the scientific world uses electronic timekeeping, and it's not just that Rolex is expensive.

The mechanical watches are more about the artistry and jewelry aspects.  That's cool---I have an acquaintance who is a trained watchmaker, and to hear him talk about the design and construction of the devices is fascinating.  The development of accurate clocks is a major factor in the transition to the modern era, so the historical impact is cool too.  This guy, by the way, was not terribly impressed by Rolex---in his opinion they're nice watches, but the quality of the mechanisms is not in line with the enormous prices.  I don't recall off-hand what his recommendation was, though.

Anyway, glad to see Tiger getting some support, hope things look up for him.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Not surprising to see Tiger gathering sponsors again. Personally, I haven't worn a watch in over a decade. The mobile phone rendered it useless on my part.
  • Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

You're kidding right?  No one believes a mechanical timekeeping device, no matter the quality, will be as accurate as an electronic timekeeping device. Even Rolex will tell you they're in the jewelry business, not the timekeeping business.  While it won't look as nice the Timex you buy at WalMart is more accurate than the Rolex.

If properly serviced and maintained, a well built manual winding watch will hold time properly.  Most people make the mistake of not paying the 800-1500 to get their watches serviced which, if not done, will affect the watches' ability to hold accurate time over time.

I own a Panerai and know first had that it holds time very accurately.  My dad owns a rolex and noticed that his watch was losing a mintue every 3-4 hrs or so...got it serviced and it now is holding time perfectly.

Yes, a battery operated watch will hold time perfectly while the battery is alive.  But, when the battery starts to die, well, guess what, it'll lose time and eventually die and not work at all.

Making a statement like you did is misleading when you don't factor in all of the variables and truths.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

If properly serviced and maintained, a well built manual winding watch will hold time properly.  Most people make the mistake of not paying the 800-1500 to get their watches serviced which, if not done, will affect the watches' ability to hold accurate time over time.

I own a Panerai and know first had that it holds time very accurately.  My dad owns a rolex and noticed that his watch was losing a mintue every 3-4 hrs or so...got it serviced and it now is holding time perfectly.

Yes, a battery operated watch will hold time perfectly while the battery is alive.  But, when the battery starts to die, well, guess what, it'll lose time and eventually die and not work at all.

Making a statement like you did is misleading when you don't factor in all of the variables and truths.

Sorry but in everyday wear a quartz watch is far more accurate than a mechanical watch. That is indisputable. What happens when someone doesn't wear their automatic watch and doesn't keep it on a winder. It stops running. That's analagous to your dying battery.

i myself, have grown tired of the tiger hate.  celebrity is cyclical.. we build them up, tear them down, and then build them up again.  i'm ready to see tiger winning again, i was a hater before, but now want to seem him win 5 more major's and take the stage as the greatest golfer to every play.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Rolex should hire Thierry Henry and Gilette should get Woods back. Both companies can make a collaborative commercial where the sports trio shave while wearing Rolexes and using Gilettes. Two for the price of one.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

That is when you change the battery. :-P

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Well I could have waxed on about esoteric reasons as to why an electronic wrist watch is more accurate over time than the very best mechanical wrist watches.  But is just boils down to the precision of the source of the time reference for an electronic device is much more stable over time and temperature than a mechanical device.  A torsion spring or whatever just cannot compete over time and temperature with a simple quartz crystal.  So I don't think I said anything misleading and will stand by the statement that the typical Timex is more accurate than the typical Rolex.  But as a practical matter both are adequate for most of us.

Anyway we are off topic and I'm glad to see Tiger back on the course and hope he keeps playing regardless of how the tournament turns out.  He needs to play competitive golf if he is ever to return to form.  Rolex is probably making a good decision to sign Tiger albeit with some risk.

Butch

i wouldn't really call it cheaping out... as it costs nearly 1k to get a rolex serviced....

Don't know about that....tell you brother in law to stop cheaping out and go get his watch serviced.

Your Panerai and father's Rolex are not expected, or even supposed to keep time "perfectly" A few second a day is perfcetly acceptable for an automatic watch.

Servicing and regulating, whilst desirable, are not actions designed to make automatic watches keep time as accurately as a quartz watch.

As for those who talk about Tag Heuer (not Heuer) making better watches than X brand, you are mistaking what is essentially a "fashion watch" with something else.

For those of you who are even discussing the accuracy of quartz v automatic, you clearly aren't "getting it" and, fortunately for you, you will save yourself many thousands of dollars over the years.

The beauty, precision and artistry tp be found in high end timepieces - or even inexpensive automatic watches - is something to enjoy, and whilst they can be very accurate, the fact that they aren't as accurate as a 20 dollar quartz watch is beside the point.  Am I back on topic yet?  Oh......I'm glad that Rolex and Tiger have teamed up.  Both very glossy, both with a brilliant past,both incredibly good at times, but both having a reputation tarnished by immitation and pretension.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

The beauty, precision and artistry tp be found in high end timepieces - or even inexpensive automatic watches - is something to enjoy, and whilst they can be very accurate, the fact that they aren't as accurate as a 20 dollar quartz watch is beside the point.  Am I back on topic yet?  Oh......I'm glad that Rolex and Tiger have teamed up.  Both very glossy, both with a brilliant past,both incredibly good at times, but both having a reputation tarnished by immitation and pretension.

Well Said...

Originally Posted by ggolokin

i wouldn't really call it cheaping out... as it costs nearly 1k to get a rolex serviced....

The comment was made in the context that if you decide and have the money to buy a rolex, you should also spend the money to get it serviced.

Whether his brother in law did get the watch serviced or not, I don't know.  It was just a lose comment based on what he said and my own experience.

As for Tiger, was he wearing a Rolex during his round yesterday?  With the way he played, I don't know if he'll be helping them sell more watches.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Well Said...

The comment was made in the context that if you decide and have the money to buy a rolex, you should also spend the money to get it serviced.

Whether his brother in law did get the watch serviced or not, I don't know.  It was just a lose comment based on what he said and my own experience.

As for Tiger, was he wearing a Rolex during his round yesterday?  With the way he played, I don't know if he'll be helping them sell more watches.

He was wearing sleeves (and I didn't look hard enough to tell), but I doubt it. He never wore the Tag Heuer watches until after the last hole.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

He was wearing sleeves (and I didn't look hard enough to tell), but I doubt it. He never wore the Tag Heuer watches until after the last hole.

Other than Phil and a few others I never see professional golfer's wearing a watch. The Rolex Cellini Mickelson wears is quartz by the way and the TAG Heuer Golf watch developed with Tiger was quartz and as light as can be.

Going to chime in here as a Rolex wearer, previous to that, wore an Omega (kind that took batteries).  The Rolex, in my case, the Sea Dweller is a beautiful watch, however as a mechanical self winding timepiece every month I need to reset the time since mine tends to gain a few minutes over the course of a month.  Not a big deal for me but I can see how it would bother others, but i'm sure battery operated quartz timepieces like my Omega would bother some as well, especially when the watch ran low on battery and eventually stopped at the most in opportune times forcing me to find a watch shop that could replace the batteries.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

Other than Phil and a few others I never see professional golfer's wearing a watch. The Rolex Cellini Mickelson wears is quartz by the way and the TAG Heuer Golf watch developed with Tiger was quartz and as light as can be.

Besides the money, I wonder if the fact that Phil is normally a righty but golf lefty has something to do with that?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!