IGNORED

Golf Magazine vs. Golf Digest

bSd
Note: This thread is 5730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Golf Magazine or Golf Digest?

• Golf Magazine
    • Golf Digest
    • Other

If you had to choose one or the other, which one would you go with and why? Personally, I am a little bit biased in favor of Golf Digest, I just find that it has articles and sections that are a bit more interesting and captivating. Also, they usually can get the "big names" more often to do guest articles/tips for them.

Golf Digest is still a great magazine but there are SO many instructors segments that I think its lost some cohesion...you could really tie your swing in knots if you tried to follow all of them. GOLF is going away from its classic drawings and becoming the same way...

I like LINKS best, my only complaint is that its not monthy.

B.A. Sullivan

I subscribe to them BOTH, and look forward to reading each for different reasons. I think both are equal with their Majors coverage, but here's where I think their strengths are...

GOLF DIGEST
Great equipment reviews
The standard course rankings
Tiger/Annika on staff

GOLF MAGAZINE
Great instruction for the average player
Strong new Sports Illustrated partnership
Better website ( www.golf.com )
David Feherty on staff (Golf's Rick Riley)

In my bag...
DRIVER: TaylorMade R5, 9.5
HYBRID: Halo 2i
IRONS: FTX
WEDGES: 52, 56, Izett 60PUTTER: Cameron Circa 62 #3

I actually read both regularly. If I had to pick one it would be Golf Magazine, simply because of Feherety.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I subscribe to Golf Digest and I enjoy the equipment reviews and instruction (except for David Leadbetter - "Find your swing chi" - Seriously?). I also like the columnists David Owen and the Golf Guru.

Jorgesgolf

Golf Magazine, I love David Feherty.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to go with Golf Magazine too. Better articles on tour players and I love George Peper. I like GD but there is too much instruction. I want to read about cool places to golf and about life on tour.
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

I subscribe to Golf Digest; I only read some of the tips, as I find if you read them all you get the classic paralysis by analysis, but I find their instruction more useful than Golf. I really like GD's interviews and columns, and the Hot List issue is my favourite of the year. That being said, since Golf became a SI publication, I find myself buying it more and enjoying it more than I used to. The one thing I don't like about GD is Dan Jenkins; I know his history and all, but I've never found any of his articles funny. The guy seriously needs to retire, and if he doesn't, they should send him off to pasture.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

For me, GD > GM.

I find the major previews in Golf Digest to be superior, as well as the product reviews and golf course rankings. I agree that GD has become too instruction heavy, and I do enjoy Feherty's articles. Regardless, I still prefer Golf Digest.

I enjoyed the club test in GM this year(this month), over the hot list in GD.. although more equipment was reviewed, I felt some of GD's reviews may have been biased. Getting to meet each tester and have different hanicaps rate the clubs is better than taking the editors word for it. Plus the hot list's rating system was a complete miss. Whoever came up with the categories and square box's of different colors with stars in them should be fired. I read both monthly and I no longer pay attention to the instructional articles in either because they're so bogus. "hit it 50 yards further" The "O" factor "how to hit it like Tiger". It's like taking a lesson from 5 different pros in one day and trying to apply what they've said on the golf course.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

I have been getting Golf Magazine for almost a year now and decided to order Golf Digest (haven't gotten first issue yet) as well. I like Golf magazine, but some of the "lessons" tend to be contrary to what my teaching pro is telling me. Every pro has there own "system" and it can get confusing, but I do like to read some of the items regarding the short game.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

• 10 months later...
I have a subscription to Golf Digest and buy a copy off the shelf of Golf Magazine. I look forward to both every month. The only thing I think Golf Digest could do less of is the travel section. It should only be a page or two and sometimes it seems like it takes up half the magazine.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I can't justify paying off the rack price for any magazine I buy regularly so I subscribe to, and enjoy, both.

$12 vs $48? That's a no brainer...

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Golf Digest since 1996
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I subscribe to Golf Digest, but I read Golf Magazine regularly as well. In my opinion, Golf Digest gets big name people to do swing tips, but I do agree that its not good to follow them all.
In My Grom Stand Bag:

Driver:
Big Bertha 460 Graphite 10°
Woods: Big Bertha 3&5 Graphite
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19° Irons: 06 Big Bertha #4-SWPutter: 35 in. Rossie Mallet *Soon to be Bettinardi C03H 34"Ball: ProV1x

I like Golf Digest and I think their website is better.
In my bag on my Sun Mountain Speedcart
Driver: HS9 10.0° F/ST
Woods: RPM 3, 5
Hybrids: Baffler DWS 23°
Irons: 775-CB 4-GWWedges: Tour 54°, WS 60°Putter: Rossa MonzaBall: This week TP BlackHome Course: North Bellingham GC"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" BenJamin...

I like them both. I get tips from lots of magazines and websites.

DR: Insight XTD Pro DF2400X 9.5 w/YSQ AD 65g S-flex
4W: Insight 16.5 Stiff
3,4 Hybrid: Idea Pro
5I - GW: Idea Pro -1 degree
SW: RST-DSG 56LW: RST-DSG 60Putter: Newport 2 DetourBall: TP Red

If you had to choose one or the other, which one would you go with and why? Personally, I am a little bit biased in favor of Golf Digest, I just find that it has articles and sections that are a bit more interesting and captivating. Also, they usually can get the "big names" more often to do guest articles/tips for them.

Like most people who have taken the poll I think Golf Digest is the better magazine (especially when it comes to instruction). Among the Playing Editors with Golf Digest are: Justin Leonard, Phil Mickelson, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Nick Price, Tom Watson, and Annika Sorenstam (oddly Ernie Els and Karrie Webb are no longer listed). Among the Teaching Professionals listed for Golf Digest are Butch Harmon, David Leadbetter (who hasn't wrote anything good in a while

), Jim Mclean, and Rick Smith. They also tend to have swing sequences of better players (Fred Couples in the April issue). Golf Magazine's current instruction is awful with instruction that isn't logical and doesn't make sense by people I've never heard of before. Back in the 80's and 90's Golf Magazine was the better magazine with Greg Norman, Butch Harmon, Peter Jacobsen, Nick Price, Nick Faldo, and Jack Nicklaus writing articles for them.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Note: This thread is 5730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!