IGNORED

Single Length Irons

Note: This thread is 1050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Single Length Irons  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about single length Irons?

• Legitimate
    • Gimmick

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

What I find interesting, there are 12 pages of this topic but only 20 people have voted and all of them have voted GIMMICK.  

I voted legit.....the site says 51 have voted but only 20 votes show...and all gimmick....somethings askew 

• Like 1

@Vinsk, the manufacturers can offer all kinds of variable products, more choices, more sales, with current models which are over the board.  SLIs just do not fit within a marketing strategy, particularly in an industry which customers are convinced these differences make a difference in one's game.  Some shafts, swing weights, spin rates, etc. do no doubt, but I think DeChambeau still is onto something.  He's a brave man to follow his heart in the face of overwhelming disagreement, and it does not mean he's mistaken.  Buggy whips lasted for centuries until Henry Ford created a new product.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lil Greener said:

Buggy whips lasted for centuries until Henry Ford created a new product.  

Yes this is true. But Ford created an obviously superior product with immediate improvements to transportation. I’m all for some people believing that it was the single length iron set that improved their game. I’m not believing that they all exhausted every attempt to improve their swing with no avail only to find the ‘secret’ was using single length irons. Just because an amazingly talented tour pro chooses to use SLI doesn’t mean he’s ‘on to something.’ It’s a good feel for him. If BD is on to something, then what is Rose, Woods, Rham, Koepka, DJ, Fowler,...oh...the rest of the entire tour on to?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Winning - a lot.  Your point is valid -- though they haven't tried, I don't think, the SLI, at least seriously. Why bother if you're making $3 million a year.   Hey, a great athlete can be successful any number of ways.   I just don't think BD's technique is a gimmick.  It has sound theory behind it.   And so do the others. 

43 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yes this is true. But Ford created an obviously superior product with immediate improvements to transportation. I’m all for some people believing that it was the single length iron set that improved their game. I’m not believing that they all exhausted every attempt to improve their swing with no avail only to find the ‘secret’ was using single length irons. Just because an amazingly talented tour pro chooses to use SLI doesn’t mean he’s ‘on to something.’ It’s a good feel for him. If BD is on to something, then what is Rose, Woods, Rham, Koepka, DJ, Fowler,...oh...the rest of the entire tour on to?

If I were making millions I'm guessing I would be unlikely to make a comprehensive change to my game based on the success of a single individual. To make the change that may or may not work for them they'd have to step back for months and work their butts off. Big risk. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a few fringe players or an older guy bouncing around from club pro some weeks and playing tourneys a few times a year start to pop up in the conversation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lil Greener said:

I just don't think BD's technique is a gimmick

Nor do I. But that’s not the topic here.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I must have missed something.    The question is:   SLI, legitimate or a gimmick was the question I saw..  Since his technique includes them, it seems on point.  But, I come into this discussion very late.   9 years late.  🙂 

• Administrator

FWIW the poll was screwy for some reason. I reset it, and so now the only vote that's on there is my old one. The poll was very slanted in the direction of "Gimmick" but it wasn't 20-0. With 53 votes, it was 46-7 in favor of Gimmick.

But, with the reset, most of the votes will come from those who like SLI, which is fine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

47 minutes ago, Lil Greener said:

I must have missed something.    The question is:   SLI, legitimate or a gimmick was the question I saw..  Since his technique includes them, it seems on point

Well it’s about the equipment. SLI. Not Bryson. Yes he uses them. But again, having one tour player who is doing well is hardly a vote for ‘legit’ imo. I’m quite certain BD could still play on tour without using SLI. He’s developed a great feel with them and prefers them. Again, I don’t think it justifies that SLI are some secret and will solve so many golfers woes. 

A 7 iron is a 7 iron. Can’t see any reason in the world to lengthen 8,9 or pw. The fact that they are shorter makes them easier to hit, that’s why they are scoring clubs. That leaves the  6,5,4,3. As the 5 is already a 3 iron loft if they made a 3 iron it would be putter loft. So the whole thing is based on 2 clubs, 5 and 6 iron. Makes more sense to just practice to hit normal 5 and 6. It’s not all that hard.

14 minutes ago, tinker said:

A 7 iron is a 7 iron. Can’t see any reason in the world to lengthen 8,9 or pw. The fact that they are shorter makes them easier to hit, that’s why they are scoring clubs. That leaves the  6,5,4,3. As the 5 is already a 3 iron loft if they made a 3 iron it would be putter loft. So the whole thing is based on 2 clubs, 5 and 6 iron. Makes more sense to just practice to hit normal 5 and 6. It’s not all that hard.

I think you may be missing the point here. All one length so that the swing is the same for every iron. It's not easier to hit a club if it's a different length than all the others. Some one length systems are based on the 7 iron length and some the 8 iron length. Both of these irons are typically the ones people are most confident with. You swing fully with every iron except your highest lofted iron, for me it's my lob wedge which I use 70 yards in. Woods are typically based on, I believe the 5 wood length. 

If the system was based on your easiest club to hit, the PW, you would not be in the ideal straight up position. At least this is my understanding.

Lastly, I believe the driver, wedge, and putter are called the scoring clubs.

Can you play three shots in a row with the same ball position and exact same swing? Do you play the ball in the same exact position if your uphill, downhill, side hill, behind a tree, under a tree, on bare hardpan, in a divot. Learning golf is about learning how to use clubs to accomplish the shot that’s called for. That’s why there’s 14 clubs in the bag. A fade calls for an open stance and the ball forward. If you didn’t make the turn in the dog leg do you just hit it straight into the woods? BDC is winning on tour but he’s cherry picking easy flat courses. He imploded at the British Open. 

Yeah, and I heard Tiger would not win again.  And Ben Hogan after his accident.  In my book, with competition so severe, 5-6 victories within 2 years, in college, or in the pros, probably qualify any golfer as good, on any course.  SLI or hickory shafts.  The Memorial has one of the toughest slopes in golf.  

Edited by Lil Greener

55 minutes ago, tinker said:

BDC is winning on tour but he’s cherry picking easy flat courses. 

Did you really just type that? 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

14 hours ago, tinker said:

A 7 iron is a 7 iron. Can’t see any reason in the world to lengthen 8,9 or pw. The fact that they are shorter makes them easier to hit, that’s why they are scoring clubs. 

The loft of the clubhead is what makes the 8,9,PW easier to hit. I can easily make the argument that the driver and long irons are the "scoring clubs"

47 minutes ago, tinker said:

BDC is winning on tour but he’s cherry picking easy flat courses.

Just stop. He won back to back playoff events... He's not cherry picking easy flat courses.

My comments below are off topic 

Spoiler

"A fade calls for an open stance and the ball forward" @tinker

No, it doesn't. Those might be the things that YOU do in order to hit a fade, but all that is required to hit a fade is to have the clubface open to the club path. That's it. You can fade the ball with a closed stance and the ball back in your stance, just like you can draw the ball with an open stance. Stop spreading misinformation.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

58 minutes ago, tinker said:

He imploded at the British Open. 

Jack Nicklaus once shot 83 at the British Open with a 44 on the back 9.... Maybe he should have cherry picked some easier tournaments?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Jack Nicklaus once shot 83 at the British Open with a 44 on the back 9.... Maybe he should have cherry picked some easier tournaments?

Tiger blew a back 9 Sunday lead at the most recent Open, should he pick easier tournaments too?

Based on @tinker 's logic, if you implode at the British Open then the length of irons the player used must not work. Since Jack imploded at the British open that must mean variable length irons must not work either right?

Based on that logic everyone should just use irons that are PW length since the shortest length iron is automatically the easiest to hit.

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 1050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!