IGNORED

Single Length Irons

Note: This thread is 1045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Single Length Irons  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about single length Irons?

• Legitimate
    • Gimmick

Originally Posted by Ron Davis

Why would you cut down irons and have them bent for a trial, when you can buy a new set and try them for 30days. That seems to make more sense. Basically you get a month at your own pace or your cash back

Single length irons all have the weight head-approx 265 grams which is what a 6 iron weighs, A PW is usually about 291 grams..  The only way to do it with conventional  heads would be get all 6 irons and bend them to the loft needed.  I think if you took a 6 iron and bent it to 48* it would be FUBAR!!

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Get a set of forged irons cut down then have the lofts and lies adjusted accordingly. I assume you'd need wider gaps.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to either build or convert a set of golf clubs for single-length play using conventional club-heads.  Conventional iron club-heads are progressively weighted in 7 gram increments from the #3 iron through the wedges.  In addition to this, conventional club-head lie angles increase in approximately 0.5º increments from the #3 iron through the wedges.  In other words, a conventional #3 iron club-head typically weighs 240 grams and has a club-head lie angle of 60.0º while a conventional PW club-head typically weighs 289 grams and has a club-head lie angle of 65º.  Also, conventional club-heads have varying degrees of offset and bounce angles from club-head to club-head.  Since it is crucial for the specifications of each iron within a set of single-length irons to be identical, building a set with conventional club-heads is simply not possible.  Another thing to bear in mind is that whenever you bend the hosel of an iron (whether forged or cast) for loft or lie you create stress fractures in the steel.  This weakens the hosel area and reduces the ability to hit as solid of a shot.

• Informative 1

David Lake

Originally Posted by Ron Davis

Why would you cut down irons and have them bent for a trial, when you can buy a new set and try them for 30days. That seems to make more sense. Basically you get a month at your own pace or your cash back

I wouldn't do it, and even if it could be done (since proven to be not possible) and done for free, I still wouldn't do it. I like the way clubheads look in a bag when staggered long to short as the lofts increase. They fit together properly that way.

Carry on / go for it!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by mdl

If I had the money I would buy a set of single length clubs instantly and at least give them an honest try.  It seems like it HAS to lead to much increased consistency to basically only have to practice swinging one club!

http://www.valuegolf.com/pinhawk-sl-single-length-irons/ $169.00 for set.

Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R

• 5 months later...
Originally Posted by Red_on_the_head

I have had some in the bag for the past year and they have certainly improved my game. Designs and clubs have been somewhat limited. I have bought and sold Tommy Armour EQL's because I didn't like them. I tried building my own out of standard components but had problems getting the weights right. 1iron golf is out of my price range.

I ended up with a set of Purefit iMatch SL's right now and love them so far. I have also found out that another company(valuegolf.com) is coming out with some new heads but his are a little different and I think are going to be quite a bit better.

They come in a set 5-PW. The lofts have 5* increments starting at 25* for the 5 iron. They all weigh in at 265 grams for a head weight so you can easily adjust them to play at 6 iron, 7 iron or even 8 iron length. All of the lie angles come in at 62.5*

Has anyone seen these yet? Reactions?

Go Twins

• 3 months later...

I built a set using Hogan CFT irons. They work well. The issue of distance from the ball to achieve the correct lie is circumnavigated with these clubs. Easier to maintain a correct swing plane. No free lunch however as distance splits between irons is not standard.

Overall not a bad idea if learning to maintain a constant swing plane etc.

• Upvote 1

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

Take a drive over to Girard,PA and talk to Aaron at Value Golf  . http://www.valuegolf.com/pinhawk-sl-single-length-irons/ I played them for the entire season last year and loved them.  I started this year with my signature irons, but went back to the single length irons a month ago, I put wedge grips on mine and really love them  . http://amegrips.com/precise-golf-grips/wedge I like the wedge grips because they are 1" longer .  I can grip down on chip shots.

Originally Posted by jaacobbowden

A ways back, I wrote an article about my experience with them.  I think they are great.

One concern about this approach is the evenness of the distance gaps between clubs. Did you find the gap between clubs to be fairly evenly spaced? I didn't see any mention of this in your article (you mentioned that you should still have consistent gaps, but you didn't mention your experience with them).

(A college friend of mine had the Tommy Armour EQLs and really enjoyed playing them. I don't know if he still has them or not. I always wanted to try a set.)

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

Also, I've wondered how constant length clubs perform compared to clubs built using the True Length Technology® fitting system developed by Dan Connelly.

http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com/truelengthtechnology.html

While it preserves the different length and clubhead irons, it does modify them differently (e.g., length is not a uniform 1/2" spacing) so that your body/hand/arm/angle position are the same from club to club - same end result as constant length clubs, but from a different direction.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

Originally Posted by Bobtrumpet

One concern about this approach is the evenness of the distance gaps between clubs. Did you find the gap between clubs to be fairly evenly spaced? I didn't see any mention of this in your article (you mentioned that you should still have consistent gaps, but you didn't mention your experience with them).

(A college friend of mine had the Tommy Armour EQLs and really enjoyed playing them. I don't know if he still has them or not. I always wanted to try a set.)

Yes, the distance gaps were just fine for me.  Length of the club has a minor affect on distance...but loft is the primary determinant.  People that I've talked to that have tried them have told me they've also had sufficient gapping.

Note: This thread is 1045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!