IGNORED

Single Length Irons

Note: This thread is 1045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Single Length Irons  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about single length Irons?

• Legitimate
    • Gimmick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got a call that my set of Sterling irons will be ready for pick up tomorrow, looking forward to getting them out on the course!

In The Bag
Wishon 919 Driver 9.5
Wishon 4W 16.5
Wishon  21 degree hybrid
Sterling SL 6 - SW
Seemore CS FGP

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

Kenstl....did you pick up your clubs? How do you like them?....I have a set of 1-Iron clubs, but am thinking of getting a set of Sterling clubs....any suggestions?

In 2014, I bought custom-fitted TaylorMade SLDR woods and Mizuno 825 irons....in June, 2015, I switched to 1-IronGolf 'single length' irons, and woods...so far, it's the best thing I have done to improve my game....and I have a relatively unused set of TaylorMades and Mizunos for backup!

• 2 weeks later...
On August 29, 2016 at 9:09 PM, dmcnab said:

Kenstl....did you pick up your clubs? How do you like them?....I have a set of 1-Iron clubs, but am thinking of getting a set of Sterling clubs....any suggestions?

I have been playing the Sterlings since mid June and I think they have been a big part of the improvement in my HC.  I have played any other single length irons so I can't really speak to 1 Iron comparisons.  I have 6 - SW of the set.  I have been hitting them consistent and straight in the 8 and up irons, I hit the 7 pretty good but my 6 iron is fighting to stay in the bag.  Off of the fairway I am not consistently getting enough distance gap between the two clubs as I am off of the tee box.  

I had them made up with the tour X xcalibur graphite shafts.  I won't be taking them out of my bag anytime soon. 

In The Bag
Wishon 919 Driver 9.5
Wishon 4W 16.5
Wishon  21 degree hybrid
Sterling SL 6 - SW
Seemore CS FGP

Hi just a wee enquiry,  has anyone been playing the wishon sterling single length irons? What has your experience been pros and cons?  The roumer mill reckons cobra will be releasing some as well. 

We don't really get wishon over here in UK,  what's the quality of their products like in comparison so the usual brands?

Ive actually practiced and played 9 holes set of irons that where all the same length just a couple weeks ago. They were all about the length of a 7 iron if i remember.

It feels absolutely uncomfortable with a wedge loft at that length. I felt like you loose some of your feel with wedges that long with half and three quarter shots if you're accustomed to a wedge length club. The ball is in a different position. I found myself gripping down to the metal for chips and other green side shots. With the lower lofts, 6, 5 land 4 irons, i was probably more than a full club shorter with those than my normal set. Personally, i dont understand this fad in terms of playing the game, and i think its a little silly. But i understand the science behind it. It just feels unnatural and weird if you learned playing a traditional set. 

Thanks for the feedback,  was just reading an article about Bryson and it got me hunting the net for info.   Would be interesting to see if cobra do bring a set to the market as would give easy access to test them on a monitor at the local golf shop.  

I'm really intrigued to try it but not got enough money to drop on a set of wishons to find out they are crap for me.  

6 minutes ago, Steviestuboy said:

Thanks for the feedback,  was just reading an article about Bryson and it got me hunting the net for info.   Would be interesting to see if cobra do bring a set to the market as would give easy access to test them on a monitor at the local golf shop.  

I'm really intrigued to try it but not got enough money to drop on a set of wishons to find out they are crap for me.  

There are some rumors that Cobra will release a single length iron set, so maybe wait to see if they do.  

Joe Paradiso

Wishon used to be a good quality iron.  No idea if it is still the same or if quality has changed (for better or worse).

Assuming no change or improvement in quality, definitely go for it, but understand the pro's and con's of using SL irons.

• Upvote 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I think for myself it would be best to wait and get a go of them if possible.  But I'm an idiot so will probably batter a set on the visa and the wife will divorce me.   Could be a win win actually! 

There are several options in single length irons now days.  Value Golf sells both Pinhawk single length with a consistent bounce and offset and Integra i-Win components with a progressive bounce and offset.  I have toyed with the idea of single length for a while and even lengthened a PW to 6 iron length to get a feel for it.

I'll chime in here as I have been playing a set of the Wishon Sterling irons in 6-SW since June of this year.  I am 51 yrs old and have been playing golf since I was 15 yrs old.  I was have played as low as an 8hc at times, and have been up around 13hc throughout periods of my life.  I was a 10.2 hc at the end of May and since playing the SL irons, I have dropped my HC to a 7.2 and I have to give some of the credit to the irons.  I no longer have mis hits or fat shots, my misses are generally in safe areas (i.e. Not on ob), and I have good control of my distances while hitting the ball really straight a majority of the time. 

For me, I think the consistent club length helps me with a consistent set up, ball position, and the same swing plane on my irons.  They have also helped me get a consistent tempo throughout my set.  I tended to try and over swing with my longer irons in the past.  

Regarding distances, the longer shafts on the SW, GW, pw and 9 have not been issues.  In fact, considering the stronger lofts, I may even be hitting my wedges shorter than my previous set even though they have longer shafts.  i can't explain that, but my distances are consistent so I am not really concerned with the numbers.   

They may not be for everyone, but they have flat out improved my consistency and thus my scoring.  

• Upvote 1

In The Bag
Wishon 919 Driver 9.5
Wishon 4W 16.5
Wishon  21 degree hybrid
Sterling SL 6 - SW
Seemore CS FGP

Thanks for the feedback on your irons.  I really like the idea of it,  did it take you long to adjust?  What is the quality and finish of the sterling's like in comparison to the other manufacturers?  And how have they held up to use?   

Cheers 

Stevie 

19 hours ago, Steviestuboy said:

How did the longer pw go?  

It is still an experiment in progress.  I glued an extension in a King Snake (King Cobra clone) 45 degree PW making it 38 inches long.  I did not adjust weight, lie, or loft.  I am 6 ft tall and find irons feel short even when I played 1 inch over standard.  

I have played 3 rounds and been to the range 5 times with it.  During the rounds I rarely need an 135 yard approach but I have hit a couple of greens with it and it stops where it lands.  It is a heavy swing weight and thus easy to overswing.  With a hard swing it can fly to 160 yards and a 1/2 swing gets 110 yards.  Seems pretty versatile although I am sure the lie and swing weight are off.  I can see the complaint about loss of feel with a longer short iron but I think it is due to the heavy swing weight in this case.

20 hours ago, kenstl said:

For me, I think the consistent club length helps me with a consistent set up, ball position, and the same swing plane on my irons.  They have also helped me get a consistent tempo throughout my set.  I tended to try and over swing with my longer irons in the past. ...

@kenstl played with four of us at the Archland TST outing on Saturday. He really hit his irons well, and had a very smooth tempo on all his iron shots. Ken says he has about 12-yard distance gaps from club to club; I was worried about too-small gaps when I first heard the different club mfgrs were making them.

Tom Wishon's site had technical explanation on the S-L  system works.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 1045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!