IGNORED

Single Length Irons

Note: This thread is 1023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Single Length Irons  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about single length Irons?

• Legitimate
    • Gimmick

The Pinhawk SL's are game improvement iron.  They are cavity back with undercut cavity .

They are 3mm offset including short irons. Most players irons are offset .1. to 0.5 mm in short irons Due to shitty spring and health problems, I have barely played this year, but so far I think the PinhawkSL's are GREAT!

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to argue with mlf16507.  Although the design is cavity back with undercut cavity; not having progressive bounce as the loft increases makes it difficult for a high handicap slow swinger to get through the ball without taking getting hung up in the turf.  My conclusion is;  SL's are good  clubs, well designed but better suited for middle and fast swing speeds, where hitting through and taking a divit is not occasionally, a painful experience.

On another note, I am not so sure that having multiple swing planes is a handicap.  I find that once you set up correctly for a specific club length, that the swing tends to stay on plane for that length.  After all, hitting balls on the fairway with either club requires adjustments for different lies, elevations etc, no matter which clubs you play.  Our brains are able to handle the many variations better than you might think.  Also, with the SL's I still  have three wedges, three hybrids, one wood and one driver that are all different lengths that I have to work with.  Even with Dave Lake's 1-Iron clubs, you have at least three lengths to deal with, (the irons, the woods, and the driver).  If it were only that simple, I would expect more than just two manufacturers of SL irons.  SL's are logical, but then logic and fact are often not the same.

As of the past week, I have returned to my Ping G5's and playing better already.  But that's just me.

Best to all.

• 2 months later...

As some of you know I build a set of single length clubs. This pro I had a lesson with told me that I wouldn't be able to get proper distances out of them becuuse of the loss of angular momentum. I didn't bother to break out my slide rule. So I want to knwo what everyone thinks about single length Irons. I was also considering replacing the heads I have with some maltby forged Irons heads and getting the lie bent to match. what do you guys think?

My Bag: Nike Vapor X
Driver: Diablo Octane Tour Project 7.0  X-Stiff
Woods: Callaway RAZR 3 wood Adilla NVS 65 g X-Stiff
Hybrids: Taylor Made Burner Superlaunch 3-18*, 4-21*, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 75
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 5-PW TrueTemper X-300
Wedges: Maltby Tricept 52*/6, 56*/10; 60*/6 TrueTemper S-400
Putter: Yes! Emma 37" Belly Putter 
Ball: NXT Tour

I've been tempted for a long time to get single length, single lie angle clubs where all my distance difference comes just from loft.  I see no reason to have to have 13 slightly different swings when I could just have 2 or 3 different swings.  And by different I mean reality not feel.  I know lots of people say that you should take the same swing with all your clubs, but that's not reality.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It would be a cool experiment.

Of course you want the same lie. Varying lie angles are only a necessity when you have different overall club lengths.

Without the different lengths, clubhead speed is going to be very similar across the set, varying only because of different headweights in modern club heads. This may necessitate a larger gap between club lofts in order to cover a sufficient range of distances.

Or you could just carry more clubs... :D

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I agree that you need a larger loft gap.  A rule of thumb for Tom Wishon's book was that about 20% of your length gaps comes from the length change in the shaft and about 80% from the loft (based on 1/2" shaft and 4* loft increments in the irons).  I believe Tommy Armour Golf did a set like this some 10+ years ago and I'm sure they weren't the first nor the last.  Interestingly, I was just talking about this subject with my girlfriend who just took up golf about a year ago.  She had no clue, even after playing 10 or 20 rounds that the shaft lengths were different between the irons.  It just came natural for her to set up closer and swing more upright with a wedge than with her 7 iron.

I do have to ask how you plan on matching the swingweights, OR if you would just take a standard set of iron heads an let the swing weights become progressively heavier as you move from the top to the bottom of the set.  Interesting stuff!

The Tommy Armour EQL irons were a flop, the concept never caught on with the public.

Most of the single length irons I have seen are based around either a "normal" 6 or 7 iron in length and weight (37" - 37-1/2", and ~ 265g), and have 5° of loft gap between each iron.

The issue you will run into with something like a TE Forged head isn't so much bending for loft and lie; as the lofts will only need adjusted +/- 2-3°, and lie around 2°, either of which is very dooable, but the weights like Stacey_E mentioned.  The Pinhawks are built around a 265g head.  The TE Forged 5 iron is 254g, and the PW is 291g.  You would have to remove 26g off of the PW to get it to 265g.  That is a LOT of weight to remove from that head!

If building a true set of one length irons with these heads, you would definitely want all the head weights, and thus the swing weights, the same.  Or else I think you would kind of be defeating some of the point of building a single length set, which is one swing with basically the same club.

Here is some good reading from Dave Tutelman on the subject:

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/OneClub.php

Hmmm, flop may be a little too harsh a word.  TA sold about 1 million sets over a 5 year period, and determined the project was not successful enough to continue with.  No other major manufacturer that I know of ever had success with, or even tried the concept.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_on_the_head View Post
None

Haha, I actually have one of those adjustable irons too. I bought it as a novelty item for like $20 on ebay. I have never hit it.

The EQL's were ok. The only reason I didn't like them because the shafts were WAY too stiff for me and they were catching top dollar on ebay so I sold them. I couldn't beleive how long and straight I could hit the 2 iron. SL irons like the EQL's are not for everyone that's for sure but what I can't seem to figure out is that if you present a golfer who is brand new to the game. Pretend like he has never seen a set of golf clubs before. Let him pick between two sets and describe the differences to him. I'll bet you that he'll take the single length irons before the "standard" irons. If loft is the primary determinant of distance then why not take the rest of the variables out of play?

Id have to agree with you. in fact Ive only been playing since last year and i think im going to get the 1 irons.   All those variables elliminated 1 basic swing plane.  I kinda think of taking all the practice of one year and dividing it by 14 different swings.  Its pretty inefficient practice.  Ive also stated looking into this and back at the trun of the century 1900s all your clubs were the same length.

• 2 months later...

Originally Posted by Red_on_the_head

Does anyone know if there is anything else out there besides 1iron, Pinhawks, Tommy Armour EQL, or iMatch SL's?

http://www.simpletonsgolf.com/

Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R

If I had the money I would buy a set of single length clubs instantly and at least give them an honest try.  It seems like it HAS to lead to much increased consistency to basically only have to practice swinging one club!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by mdl

If I had the money I would buy a set of single length clubs instantly and at least give them an honest try.  It seems like it HAS to lead to much increased consistency to basically only have to practice swinging one club!

Get a set of forged irons cut down then have the lofts and lies adjusted accordingly. I assume you'd need wider gaps.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Get a set of forged irons cut down then have the lofts and lies adjusted accordingly. I assume you'd need wider gaps.

I've got forged irons but getting them all reshafted or cut down and bent would still be out of my price range.  Plus I wouldn't want to commit 100% to single length/lie irons by altering my current irons.  What if my intuition is wrong and I want to go back?  I could definitely not afford altering my current irons then purchasing another set, even used!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 1023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!