IGNORED

Webb Simpson - does he have a mind of his own?

Shorty
Note: This thread is 4325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Gresh24

You got issues Shorty.  Is it with Christains or Simpson (in this case)?

Your little preaching on here is no different than what Simpson does.

I have issues with anyone who doesn't see the hypocrisy of religion (and that's all religion).

Christians like Simpson, Baddeley and that moron Bubba Watson are  the Hallmark Greeting Cards of society. They use the lines of other people to "express themselves" and whenever there is a suggestion that no scrap of evidence exists or has ever existed to support their beliefs, they get all huffy and moralistic, and the "freedom" card gets dragged out.

What do you think would happen if a Muslim golfer won the Masters and repeatedly said "praise be to Allah" at the ceremony? You'd find a thread on this forum for a start, and suddenly the freedoms and respect and tolerance so nobly espoused here would be put to the test.

But.....I'll take a Christian golfer over a hunting golfer any day of the week.  From what I understand, Brad Faxon is one of the few who on the PGA Tour who doesn't get his kicks from killing animals.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Exactly. I'm Roman Catholic. Being religious is about believing inside of yourself. You don't have to tell the whole world. I think he may have missed that in RE class....

People like Bubba, Webb etc only say it out aloud because they want people to know they are so religious.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I noticed all of the above too.

I find it strange that a person has to constantly remind the world what they believe in. Where as, if a person was to advertise the fact they don't believe in a god, then it's like an insult to those who do believe somehow.

It's funny when a person wins an event or an award and the first thing they tell everyone is that they want to thank god.....errr, you can thank him without telling us - why are you telling us?

I am not a religious person, and I have no problems with those who are, but when they constantly have to advertise the fact, then it gets annoying.

But some people need faith to handle the up and downs of life when they cant themselves, so that's fine.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

True indeed. Americans act like they are the only ones who have free speech in the world.

Originally Posted by Shorty

That's the theory. And it is a very noble one. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually work out that way in a lot of places.

Look waht happens when Muslims want to build a mosque.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Point taken, though the issue was the specific location they wanted to build the mosque and it did get built, but you knew that already you just wanted to deflect the actual point of my post.  I don't see what you're doing as being any different than what Webb did.  Webb thanked god during his interview and quotes the bible you come into a public forum to state there is no god and rip Webb for believing in one.

That's the theory. And it is a very noble one. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually work out that way in a lot of places.

Look waht happens when Muslims want to build a mosque.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Point taken, though the issue was the specific location they wanted to build the mosque and it did get built, but you knew that already you just wanted to deflect the actual point of my post.  I don't see what you're doing as being any different than what Webb did.  Webb thanked god during his interview and quotes the bible you come into a public forum to state there is no god and rip Webb for believing in one.

I agree with newtogolf here. I'm about as non-religious a person as you'll find, and it kind of sucks how under-represented non-religous people are in the public world, but non-religious people aren't going to gain respect by Christian-bashing. I'll admit to finding it a little odd how Christians thank God for everything (I'd find it really hard to not take all the credit for winning that Masters, unless I was Angel Cabrera and Kenny Perry just handed it to me), I find it strange that the vast majority of Christians I know have never attended church, and I find it really odd that most of them wear it on their sleeves (or around their necks), but y'know, to each his own. As long as Webb Simpson doesn't try to convert me (which, I'll grant you, many Christians, as well as members of other religions, have tried to do since the beginning of time), I won't try to convert him. He can live in ignorance in my eyes, and I can live in ignorance in his. I do agree with that hunting thing, though. I can't get the fun of shooting defenseless animals when there's a slim chance you'll actually eat it through my brain.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Seems to me that all sorts of folks are thankful when they accomplish something.  Has there ever been an Oscar winner that didn't thank his/her parents, spouse, girl/boy friend, director, producer and on and on, detailing what inspired them.  How about the corporate whizkid who thanks his mentors guiding him along his upward climb on the ladder of success.

Similarly, golfers are quick to thank their family, their caddy and, especially, their swing coach (maybe they view them as gods?) for their inspiration and great achievements.

If such inspiration, from whatever source, allows them to perform at a higher level, why are only the one's who thank their God for such inspiration lacking in personality and/or intelligence? Could it be that they have found the inner peace that Shorty is lacking?  Could explain his bitterness.

That is what religious people do... they share what they believe in as they truly believe that it is important... and they have every right to.

In essence he is doing the same thing you are doing here... he believes in his faith and shares it... where as you believe in no god and are sharing that...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by jamo

As long as Webb Simpson doesn't try to convert me (which, I'll grant you, many Christians, as well as members of other religions, have tried to do since the beginning of time), I won't try to convert him. He can live in ignorance in my eyes, and I can live in ignorance in his.

To a point I agree with this, but you must remember that a big part of all religions is to spread their faith and convert/save people who don't believe.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

That is what religious people do... they share what they believe in as they truly believe that it is important... and they have every right to.

In essence he is doing the same thing you are doing here... he believes in his faith and shares it... where as you believe in no god and are sharing that...

To some extent, yeah. There's a reason they call it faith. [quote name="tristanhilton85" url="/t/53805/webb-simpson-does-he-have-a-mind-of-his-own/18#post_653995"]

To a point I agree with this, but you must remember that a big part of all religions is to spread their faith and convert/save people who don't believe.

[/quote] I understand, that's just the part I don't like/slightly resent. ;-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think that their faith does encourage them to share what they believe but I also see it as a technique that people in the public eye use regardless of their religious convictions to demonstrate they are still humble.  By deferring their success to a higher power or even a parent, spouse, mentor, etc they show their fans, media and the general public they are not ego maniacs who are consumed by their own greatness.  I do believe some are sincere (like Webb) when they do it but wonder if some only say it because their publicist told them to.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Harmonious

If such inspiration, from whatever source, allows them to perform at a higher level, why are only the one's who thank their God for such inspiration lacking in personality and/or intelligence? Could it be that they have found the inner peace that Shorty is lacking?  Could explain his bitterness.

Because they're thanking something that isn't real. And don't say that it is a matter of opinion, because you know it isn't. It's reasonable to thank parents, mentors. directors, publicists etc. They exist. That's the whole point. It's when people thank something which doesn't exist and conveniently sidestep the question of why he which is worthy of thanks lets them win a golf tournament on the same day as a car crashes through the walls of a childrens hospital.  No profit in that, is there.

And  to harp on about 'inner peace" and "bitterness" only goes to show that you don't like intelligent debate.  I'm more than happy to discuss these issues, but I find it extraordinary when someone can't identify the difference betwee a parent (for example, which is real) and something imaginary which obviously isn't.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I think that their faith does encourage them to share what they believe but I also see it as a technique that people in the public eye use regardless of their religious convictions to demonstrate they are still humble.  By deferring their success to a higher power or even a parent, spouse, mentor, etc they show their fans, media and the general public they are not ego maniacs who are consumed by their own greatness.  I do believe some are sincere (like Webb) when they do it but wonder if some only say it because their publicist told them to.

I totally agree.

I can tell you don't like it because you do not understand what is truly being said. To someone who doesn't believe in it, it all does sound like gibberish.

But if you really want to know what is the reasoning behind this sharing of the belief, ask someone with that belief whom you feel comfortable engaging in conversation with. I'm sure they will explain.

Not all Christians are gonna shove their belief down your throat, you gotta understand that. Just like you would say that not all atheists or agnostics are out to make religious people feel terrible about what they believe in. Am I right?

Because they're thanking something that isn't real. And don't say that it is a matter of opinion, because you know it isn't. It's reasonable to thank parents, mentors. directors, publicists etc. They exist. That's the whole point. It's when people thank something which doesn't exist and conveniently sidestep the question of why he which is worthy of thanks lets them win a golf tournament on the same day as a car crashes through the walls of a childrens hospital.  No profit in that, is there.

And  to harp on about 'inner peace" and "bitterness" only goes to show that you don't like intelligent debate.  I'm more than happy to discuss these issues, but I find it extraordinary when someone can't identify the difference betwee a parent (for example, which is real) and something imaginary which obviously isn't.

You clearly have a point of view, but I doubt that any sort of "debate" would be worthwhile. So long as you view with contempt and ridicule anyone who has a differing viewpoint from you, further discussion is futile.  Discussion of religion, like politics, consists of more heat than light.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I don't see what you're doing as being any different than what Webb did.  Webb thanked god during his interview and quotes the bible you come into a public forum to state there is no god and rip Webb for believing in one.

Exactly.  Talk about hypocrisy...

• Upvote 1

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

What I find tired about Shorty's point of view, is that aethists predictably convey the vibe of being intellectual and 100% convinced beyond any shadow of a doubt that there's absolutely no possibility for a higher power.     When a few billion people (they see as non-thinking lemmings) disagree, logic would dictate they wouldn't take such a hard line stance ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 4325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!