IGNORED

Webb Simpson - does he have a mind of his own?

Shorty
Note: This thread is 4325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

This is where you're missing the point.  In most religions, including christianity you aren't free to make your own decision or believe what you want without going against the sanctity of the religion which is considered a "sin" in christianity which you must be absolved from if you are to go to heaven.

I was raised catholic, went to catholic school and a catholic college.  During my days as a catholic I remember it was a sin to miss church on Sunday, it was a sin to eat meat on fridays during lent, it was a sin to use condoms, it was a sin to cuss, it was a sin to have lewd thoughts about a person that was not your spouse, it was a sin to masterbate, it was a sin for a woman to have an abortion.  Basically anything you did that was not condoned by the catholic church and pope was a sin.  Some were mortal sins, some weren't but the fact was you couldn't take communion and were told you'd live an eternity in hell until you confessed your sins to a priest and performed the assigned penance.  Does that sound like the promotion of independent thought to you?

No, catholicism is VERY different many other christain denominations.  I'm not catholic.

Again, there are lots of levels of christianity and many differences among denominations.

I do make my own decisions and do what I want.  That's just me.  Maybe some will say I'm not a true Christain, but I read listen to teachings and interpretations and make my own decisions.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Gresh24

No, I don't speak for all Christianity and I said as much.  The only reason I added a few 'personal beliefs' was because of the incorrect assuptions made about Christains by a few people here.  I don't take it personally.

I don't recall anyone having made assumptions about "Christians" here. Find them. You seem to be confusing the generic term with whatever specific version you practice. Most people are discussing it generally, not specific to you.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

But as soon as someone with 'faith' responds, all the questions start flying on how I can believe what I beleive and if it's "right" and if mine "counts", and so on.  If you don't believe in heaven or hell, why do you care how I chose to try to get to heaven?

Those seem somewhat contradictory to me. People ask questions because they're having a discussion. They "care" enough about the topic to discuss it, to ask the questions. Why does not believing in heaven or hell preclude someone from being curious or interested?

I don't think anyone discussing this really cares about you or your specific version of Christianity. We're talking about it as a whole. If you just want to claim "well, that's not how I see it" that's fine... it just doesn't add much to the conversation. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't recall anyone having made assumptions about "Christians" here. Find them. You seem to be confusing the generic term with whatever specific version you practice. Most people are discussing it generally, not specific to you.

Those seem somewhat contradictory to me. People ask questions because they're having a discussion. They "care" enough about the topic to discuss it, to ask the questions. Why does not believing in heaven or hell preclude someone from being curious or interested?

I don't think anyone discussing this really cares about you or your specific version of Christianity. We're talking about it as a whole. If you just want to claim "well, that's not how I see it" that's fine... it just doesn't add much to the conversation. :-)

It was the generic, general assupmtions that were wrong, IMO.

iacas, you asked me specific questions about me and my specific beliefs and version of Christianity.

All the christian denominations are different. Some are pretty close to catholicism and some aren't. Heck there is always a debate is some of them (Mormanism) are even christians.

You are delusional if you think there is one catholic voice.  There are left wing catholics and right wing ones and everything in between. The pope is unfalliable on like 2 things(immaculate conception and assumption of mary).  Pretty much everything else is up for debate.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

No, catholicism is VERY different many other christain denominations.  I'm not catholic.

Quote:

All the christian denominations are different. Some are pretty close to catholicism and some aren't. Heck there is always a debate is some of them (Mormanism) are even christians.

You are delusional if you think there is one catholic voice.  There are left wing catholics and right wing ones and everything in between. The pope is unfalliable on like 2 things(immaculate conception and assumption of mary).  Pretty much everything else is up for debate.

I agree.  That's the point I'm trying to make - a LOT of things are up for debate and interpreted differently among denominations and even within the same denomination like you mentioned.

Originally Posted by makaveli

I have never liked famous people who try too hard to show they are religious. Thank god there are not much in my country, and I am from Italy (where the Pope actually is) which is pretty weird...

p.s. (yeah I know the Vatican is another country but I am sure you get my point)

Given that the Pope protects pedophiles it's no wonder you don't respect him.

The Catholic church is possibly the most corrupt and disgusting organisation on the planet.

Yes them and just about any other form government, ruling cabal, board of directors. Don't single out the Pope he doesn't personally protect pedophiles, the Roman Catholic church is a huge bureaucracy.

I do follow Christian beliefs, although I am not extremely devout, maybe go to service a couple of times year.  I believe in higher powers, and the virtuous teachings within the practice and try to live by them.

However, I have very little tolerance for those religious zealots that actually ask God for things.  That kind of attitude makes me sick and I see it all the time.  I see kids praying so that they could win a sports game, or get an Xbox for Christmas, or even worse, I see people pray to win monetary bets.  Deities aren't magical wish granting genies and I wish people wouldn't treat them as such.

Originally Posted by iacas

Oh Godwin. Let's not say the H or the N word again, eh?

And fwiw, I don't think atheism supports morality, no, but I think humanity does.

To the deathbed point, I've heard this offered as a reason why Christianity is lacking:

Bob is a great guy, charitable, nice, great son, father, husband, community member, etc.

Peter is a mass murderer who stole, raped, killed, and in general never lived a decent day in his life.

Bob's an atheist.

Peter accepts Jesus Christ into his heart a few days before he's lethally injected.

Bob is out of luck and Peter gets into Heaven?

Christianity is not going to say Bob is a great guy.  He's fallen short of God's standard and is a sinner needing forgiveness...I'm sure you've heard the rest.  Peter looks pretty bad compared to Bob but what if we find someone who has killed more,raped more ect..  Can't they be the standard of what is considered a bad person?  In that case Peter can be one of the good guys I guess.  I think that would be the slippery slope of moral relativism which I beleive atheism is stuck with.

Is that blog post on this site?

Originally Posted by imtomtomim

I do follow Christian beliefs, although I am not extremely devout, maybe go to service a couple of times year.  I believe in higher powers, and the virtuous teachings within the practice and try to live by them.

However, I have very little tolerance for those religious zealots that actually ask God for things.  That kind of attitude makes me sick and I see it all the time.  I see kids praying so that they could win a sports game, or get an Xbox for Christmas, or even worse, I see people pray to win monetary bets.  Deities aren't magical wish granting genies and I wish people wouldn't treat them as such.

You oughta check out religious tv sometime.  If you send them a $1,000 "seed" they promise God will send you back that and more.  It's unreal, it should be illegal, but it is funny to watch

As far as making it illegal is it  any worse than the get rich quick schemes involving real estate, day trading, selling stuff on ebay, the free money guy (the idiot with the question mark suit) and the rest? The only difference is that one gets a tax break......

The catholic church might be the most corrupt but I doubt they crack the top 10 of most digusting. The competition is just too steep.

Originally Posted by mck

You oughta check out religious tv sometime.  If you send them a $1,000 "seed" they promise God will send you back that and more.  It's unreal, it should be illegal, but it is funny to watch

i have friends that are extremely christian. theres this thing that is becoming really common in christianity and the churches and that is evangelism, basically preaching to others. In most modern christian churches they tell the church goers that that is there main priority in being christian, at least what I have seen in all the churches I have been to over the years. I have never agreed with evangelism, I think people are free to believe what they want and preaching to them doesn't really work too well. I find it annoying personally. Tim Tebow is a really good example of this same kind of idea. These people are really set on their duty of evangelizing. If I won a major tournament I would definitely thank God for giving me the opportunity because I do have faith, but putting on others when they want to hear about golf... I would never.

Mike Mayorga

Driver Nike Machspeed Black Round 9.5° Stiff

Irons Cobra SS Forged 3-PW

Putter Scotty Cameron Futura

Bob was never Christened, so technically he never entered into the Kingdom of God.

Originally Posted by mck

Christianity is not going to say Bob is a great guy.  He's fallen short of God's standard and is a sinner needing forgiveness...I'm sure you've heard the rest.  Peter looks pretty bad compared to Bob but what if we find someone who has killed more,raped more ect..  Can't they be the standard of what is considered a bad person?  In that case Peter can be one of the good guys I guess.  I think that would be the slippery slope of moral relativism which I beleive atheism is stuck with.

Is that blog post on this site?

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Originally Posted by John King

Don't single out the Pope he doesn't personally protect pedophiles, the Roman Catholic church is a huge bureaucracy.

No --- SPECIFICALLY the current Pope. (As well as others, of course,) but he personally has been in charge of investigating abusive members of his church and deciding to protect them.

That is a statement of fact, not a personal opinion.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

No --- SPECIFICALLY the current Pope. (As well as others, of course,) but he personally has been in charge of investigating abusive members of his church and deciding to protect them.

That is a statement of fact, not a personal opinion.

OF COURSE

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I'd never heard of Webb before watching him in a tourney a few days ago. I watched for about 20 minutes and not only was he talking religion, his playing partner was, they apparently went to bible school together, even the commentators were talking religion and how it helps some people play better.

I tuned in to watch golf and listen to golf talk so I turned it off.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

OK, I've finally figured out something to say that may be original, although I suspect someone else has said this at one time or another, somewhere. I guess I'm sort of glad the thread isn't locked.

The following is simply an opinion, and likely a long winded one at that. I do not want to offend anyone. I respect all religions, especially Christianity, since I am friends with so many Christians.

So:

I don't have any problems with religion. At all. Why? Every religion has a sect of terrorist, bigoted separatists. Many have been killed in the name of Buddhism too, let's not forget that.

Why? Oh right. Buddhists are humans too.

So please stop blaming religion when really you have a problem with some aspects of humanity. Let's not displace our anger. People should be allowed to practice and believe whatever they want to believe, as long as it doesn't harm another person.

But in the end, hate in your heart is hate in your heart. And a lack of satisfactory cognitive ability is simply just that as well.

IMO we're all just five hairs away from being baboons. Some of us are highly intelligent, compassionate individuals. Most aren't. And that's not because of religion. It's because humanity still needs a few million years of evolution under its belt . If we are lucky enough to survive that long into the future, those generations will probably look at all of us as animals.

I encourage everyone to follow the good in life and to not succumb to temptation of cheating or hurting others.

Quote:

I read your blog from time to time and I remember this post when you made it in 2009.

What this video proves to me is that upbringing cannot be blamed for the problems that arise through Christianity. Here is a child who has been taught since the beginning to follow a certain philosophy. But, in his heart and mind, he cannot accept it. He has innate compassion. He feels pity for others. He feels empathy. He cannot follow the doctrines of hate towards gays, non-believers, so-called "sinners," etc. that a few Christian parents try to impart to their kids.

His parents are not their son. At all.

I think this partly proves my point that religion isn't to blame. It's really just the evolutionary lottery that determines who is intelligent, compassionate, and caring. The rest are born with hate in their heart. They have an inability to understand the plight of others.

And let me be clear. There are many, many compassionate and intelligent Christians out there. I know this because I am friends with a lot of them, and have been since I was a kid.

So I blame nature....Thanks a lot, nature, for having me be born is such primitive times.

Christians for the most part are good people. As are Muslims. And Jews. And Buddhists. Atheists who follow a personal moral code are excellent individuals too. Agnostics who say "I don't know" are highly intelligent, questioning, compassionate people.

My problem lies with certain sections of humanity who are still a few million years in evolutionary development behind the rest of us. But I don't play the blame religion game. I play the blame the individual game.

Do good unto others. Cheers

PS- Has anyone else seen the South Park episode (Go God Go) where they imagined a world with no religion? The atheists divide themselves up into different sects because they disagree over what science is telling them. And they kill each other over it. It's a really funny one.

PPS- And I agree that atheism is not the polar opposite of Christianity.

Constantine

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

I'd never heard of Webb before watching him in a tourney a few days ago. I watched for about 20 minutes and not only was he talking religion, his playing partner was, they apparently went to bible school together, even the commentators were talking religion and how it helps some people play better.

I tuned in to watch golf and listen to golf talk so I turned it off.

You must not have watched much US golf, as Simpson has been the hottest player over the past three months and, by the way, is the Tour money leader, ahead of #2 Luke Donald.

Were you referring to the 30 second congratulatory hug between him and Ben Crane, on reaching the playoff? They are good friends, and apparently attend the Tour's weekly Bible study group. I didn't hear them say too much else other than say "good luck" to each other.  Seemed kind of gentlemanly to me. And commentators mentioning that both give credit to their religious beliefs was just a statement of fact, and certainly wasn't an in-depth discussion of the pros and cons of spirituality.

If you wanted to watch golf, why didn't you watch the golf?  They did, in fact, have the playoff. Had you watched, you would have seen that even Tour players can miss two-footers.

Hmmm, upon re-reading my post a couple times, it could be construed that I'm targeting Erik or something. I'm not at all. I actually agree with pretty much everything he's said so far in the thread. Sorry if it was interpreted that way. It's so hard for me to engage in these kinds of topics without coming off like I'm a know-it-all or that I'm better than anyone else. I guess a lot of stuff can be lost in translation over the internet without being able to hear the tone of my voice if I could read what I wrote aloud.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 4325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!