IGNORED

Webb Simpson - does he have a mind of his own?

Note: This thread is 3366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just noticed the Titus 3:3-7 embroidery on Webb Simpson's cap and then had a look at some of his "tweets".

Now I'm the first to admit that this guy is a great golfer and has been the find of the season, but seriously, this fellow doesn't seem to be able to do anything except quote religious gibberish and dogma.

People can draw strength or comfort or inspiration from wherever they like, but it would seem that he actually BELIEVES that there is a deity. Quite scary. I know he's not alone out on tour - one always notices how they thank their "Lord and Saviour" when they win, but don't blame him when they lose - and I am sure that there are some Sandtrappers who share similar views, but one would think that a person in the modern world would be capable of independent thought. And have an ability to express it.

I know that religion is a big thing in your country - and a major part of its culture, but seriously -  this guy is  deluded.

And the media lap it up!

I woud love to hear him use some of his own words, rather than just parroting pretentious and  trite "sound bites" from the bible.

Surely he has something to say, or is he as boring as he seems. Perhaps being "devoutly and deeply" religious is a substitute for having a personality.

• Upvote 4

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just noticed the Titus 3:3-7 embroidery on Webb Simpson's cap and then had a look at some of his "tweets". Now I'm the first to admit that this guy is a great golfer and has been the find of th

That's the theory. And it is a very noble one. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually work out that way in a lot of places. Look waht happens when Muslims want to build a mosque.

Perhaps you need to read your Stephen Hawking a little more thoroughly. You would know that there is no simple explanation. I hardly think that in the absence of a simple answer to the questio

Wow...setting up for a nice flame fest hmm?  How odd, someone actually BELIEVES in their faith.  Shocking.  The US is obviously the only place this happens...

I agree that he is going way over the top with his constant bible quoting and praising of God. Bubba is the same. You are religious, we get it. No need to keep going on about it. It's hard work that wins you tournaments, not your "Lord and savior".

And I am religious, before anyone accuses me of not respecting other peoples beliefs.

Yes, the Christians in the US are just a bunch of naive, deluded, boring, and scary people full of gibberish and incapable of independent thought and personality.  (Did I miss anything?)  If only we could rid the world of these terrible no-good people.

You got issues Shorty.  Is it with Christains or Simpson (in this case)?

Your little preaching on here is no different than what Simpson does.

• Upvote 1

Mind elaborating?  I hear and see people say this quite a bit, but I'm never quite sure what they mean.  Does it it mean you go to church/mosque on a regular basis?

Originally Posted by deasy55

And I am religious, before anyone accuses me of not respecting other peoples beliefs.

Not sure how I can elaborate on me saying i'm religious. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Originally Posted by Nole77

Mind elaborating?  I hear and see people say this quite a bit, but I'm never quite sure what they mean.  Does it it mean you go to church/mosque on a regular basis?

• Upvote 1

As in, what qualifies a person to be "religious"?  I've known people people that have used this as a descriptor because they believe there is some "entity" out there somewhere or simply because they attend church every Sunday but don't really believe there is a God.  So my question to you was, what makes you "religious".  As can bee seen from this link: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religious it can vary quite a bit from person to person.

Originally Posted by deasy55

Not sure how I can elaborate on me saying i'm religious. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Surely he has something to say, or is he as boring as he seems. Perhaps being "devoutly and deeply" religious is a substitute for having a personality.

And being a condescending atheist is so much better, right?

• Upvote 2

Just noticed the Titus 3:3-7 embroidery on Webb Simpson's cap and then had a look at some of his "tweets".

Now I'm the first to admit that this guy is a great golfer and has been the find of the season, but seriously, this fellow doesn't seem to be able to do anything except quote religious gibberish and dogma.

People can draw strength or comfort or inspiration from wherever they like, but it would seem that he actually BELIEVES that there is a deity. Quite scary. I know he's not alone out on tour - one always notices how they thank their "Lord and Saviour" when they win, but don't blame him when they lose - and I am sure that there are some Sandtrappers who share similar views, but one would think that a person in the modern world would be capable of independent thought. And have an ability to express it.

I know that religion is a big thing in your country - and a major part of its culture, but seriously -  this guy is  deluded.

And the media lap it up!

I woud love to hear him use some of his own words, rather than just parroting pretentious and  trite "sound bites" from the bible.

I noticed all of the above too.

I find it strange that a person has to constantly remind the world what they believe in. Where as, if a person was to advertise the fact they don't believe in a god, then it's like an insult to those who do believe somehow.

It's funny when a person wins an event or an award and the first thing they tell everyone is that they want to thank god.....errr, you can thank him without telling us - why are you telling us?

I am not a religious person, and I have no problems with those who are, but when they constantly have to advertise the fact, then it gets annoying.

But some people need faith to handle the up and downs of life when they cant themselves, so that's fine.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I noticed all of the above too.

I find it strange that a person has to constantly remind the world what they believe in. Where as, if a person was to advertise the fact they don't believe in a god, then it's like an insult to those who do believe somehow.

It's funny when a person wins an event or an award and the first thing they tell everyone is that they want to thank god.....errr, you can thank him without telling us - why are you telling us?

I am not a religious person, and I have no problems with those who are, but when they constantly have to advertise the fact, then it gets annoying.

But some people need faith to handle the up and downs of life when they cant themselves, so that's fine.

I understand why people are turned off by it and think he goes too far.  But to conclue that he has no personality, is incapable of independent thought, has nothing to say, is deluded, boring, naive, etc., etc., simply because of a couple comments about his faith (in interviews representing a very small fraction of his life/personaluty), is just ignorant.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

I understand why people are turned off by it and think he goes too far.  But to conclue that he has no personality, is incapable of independent thought, has nothing to say, is deluded, boring, naive, etc., etc., simply because of a couple comments about his faith (in interviews representing a very small fraction of his life/personaluty), is just ignorant.

I didn't say he has no personality, incapable of independent thought, boring, naive or is deluded....

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I didn't say he has no personality, incapable of independent thought, boring, naive or is deluded....

Oh, I know.  Sorry.  I was refering to the OP.

Individual rights are a big thing in this country, not religion.  We respect an individuals right to worship any god they choose whether we agree or disagree with it as long as it doesn't infringe on others rights to do the same.  I suggest that the next time Webb is on television you shut it off or maybe just get over the fact he believes in something you don't.  BTW, I'm agnostic and would typically agree with you if your post didn't come off as being very intolerant and ignorant.

And the media lap it up!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Harmonious

And being a condescending atheist is so much better, right?

One would think so.

Probably better to base one's beliefs on reality rather than dogma that you've been brainwashed with.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Kaivai

if  i ever find out that god has anything to do with sporting events i am going to be pissed

Oh---but he does!!!!!! He helps Christians hole putts and win golf tournaments when he's having a break between causing tsunamis, famine and earthquakes and giving people cancer.

And that's just on a day when he's being "merciful".

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Individual rights are a big thing in this country, not religion.  We respect an individuals right to worship any god they choose whether we agree or disagree with it as long as it doesn't infringe on others rights to do the same.

That's the theory. And it is a very noble one. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually work out that way in a lot of places.

Look waht happens when Muslims want to build a mosque.

• Upvote 3

Note: This thread is 3366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!