IGNORED

Choosing a putter. Beginner question.

Note: This thread is 3579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a relative beginner. I have been using an un-named club putter for practice over the past few weeks and I am now looking to get my own.

I have done the usual thing and gone to a couple of superstores to try a variety of putters on their little indoor greens. I don't really know the terminology but the putters that feel most comfortable to me have heads that look like the Ping Anser model and I seem to prefer clubs with a heavier head. The one I seem more drawn towards is an inexpensive Cleveland model with the brass head.

When I was starting my search, they had used Cameron sitting out there. I believe it was the Newport model  At the time I did not know anything about the brand but as I have tried more putters I have realized that it was the most "natural" or confident feeling of all the ones I have found since. I realize that Cameron is perhaps a "boutique" company so they are expensive. The used Cameron I tried is long gone. But is there anything I should be looking at that might give me a similar feel at a lower price point or should I just look into used Camerons and get it over with?

Thanks so much.

Putting is as subjective as buying a toothbrush...the only rule is how comfortable you feel at address...as confidence is 99% of putting...be sure to try different length putters in order to keep your stroke smooth...for example I am short (5 foot 7 inches ) so I actually have had my traditional putters at standard 33 inches and even cut some to 32 inches....its all about feel...

you might also want to try some of the new belly putters that are so popular right now as well as they serve to stabilize your stroke...

the Cleveland putter you said you liked is a pretty good one -especially for the money...you might want to check out ebay for a deal on one....oh and one last thing...be sure to not place too much faith in superstore putting greens as these places have been known at times to build a drain style hole setup so that EVERYTHING you  hit gets jarred!   LOL

The only true test of a putter is that it 1. gives you confidence and 2. you have tried it and liked the results on the courses that you play.

Hope this helps...

Good luck!

i'd definitely not recommend you shell out big bucks for a putter if you're a relative beginner.  A $150 putter is not going to make you better.

And I'd definitely agree with the above post that putter preference is completely subjective.  The Ping Anser is probably the most imitated design of putter, and essentially every company makes a similar model.  so if you like that brass Cleveland and it's not pricey, i'd go for it.

Dont be afraid to spend the $$$ on a cameron - even if you dont end up liking it, it will hold its value far more than some $50 - $150 putter you may find.

At the end of the day, the putter is all about feel - but me recommending a cameron is going to hurt you less in the end than a $100 putter someone else recommends that isnt worth the metal it is made of.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by philiprst

But is there anything I should be looking at that might give me a similar feel at a lower price point or should I just look into used Camerons and get it over with?

If it is the shape of the Cameron you like, the virtually and of the hundreds of the Ping Anser style putters will suit you.

The Cameron doesn't feel any different to most of them.

Try to avoid literally buying into the mythology. It's based on consumer desire to own headcovers and things that say "For Tour Use Only" and such like on them.

Martin Kaymer used a Karsten Anser which is less than $100.

The Cleveland ones are great too, as are most putters made by known brands.

I have owned several Camerons and didn't  like the feel of any of them - but that's just me. My 80s Ping anser had one of the nicest feels, but was too light.

Right now, for me, the Odyssey Black Tour Designs is the best putter I've ever used. I've got two and wouldn't trade them for a dozen Camerons (except that I could sell the Camerons to golf newbies on ebay who think they're getting something special).

Try the Cleveland Classics and the Ping Karsten series if you are on a budget.  They are cast, not milled (so what?) and are terrific putters.

I would look at the the Rossa Daytona Ghost putter thats what I use and love it I am also a relative beginner although I have been able to play for quite a while I only started really playing a lot this year. I like the white club head, and fine it really easy to align and love the weighting on the club. I find myself very confident setting up to my putts

You have a leg up in that you know what head shape you like.  I think if you concentrate on the right shaft length (and maybe even the lie angle) you should be set regardless of what you buy.  You do want a putter that setups up into your natural putting posture (which will probably change the more you play) as opposed to you setting up to it.  If you find one that feels good in your hands, and one you can build confidence with, you should be good for a while.  That being said, it is true that a used Cameron probably will hold its value within $25 or so, if you keep it in the same condition you bought it in.

Thanks so much for all of your advice. I truly appreciate it.

I went on another little search after my golf lesson today and came across an inexpensive Taylormade Rossa Lambeau that I really liked for around $90. I could not find it on the Taylormade site so I expect it is a discontinued model but any views would be appreciated. I also tried the Ghost Daytona but it didn't seem to work as well for me.

Originally Posted by philiprst

Thanks so much for all of your advice. I truly appreciate it.

I went on another little search after my golf lesson today and came across an inexpensive Taylormade Rossa Lambeau that I really liked for around $90. I could not find it on the Taylormade site so I expect it is a discontinued model but any views would be appreciated. I also tried the Ghost Daytona but it didn't seem to work as well for me.

Does it have the AGSI+ insert?   I have this in the Taylormade Rossa Daytona classic blade and LOVE IT!   Ball rolls right off the face true and smooth....

An extra point to note is how well you actually putt with different putters. I loved my Ping iWi Anser when I had it; it had perfect weight, great looks, lovely grip and was confidence inspiring at address. I putted 'ok' with it for a couple of years but it was only on trying out other putters that I realised I'm more suited to face-balanced and/or center shafted putters. I now use a Ping Half Wack-E which looks like something from Star Trek (uuuggllyyy!!!) BUT I'm a much much better putter with it.

A beggining golfer should be using a mallot putter, it is much easier to keep the ball on the line, which will lead to u making more putts. Beginning players should not use blade putters, because if u do and u do not have a close to perfect putting stroke then you will pull or push a putt very easily.

Note: This thread is 3579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!