IGNORED

Playing by the rules........ Is there one here who can cast the first stone?

bogey joe
Note: This thread is 4506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Kobey

True.  But why would you use an official golf handicap in something that is close to but not actually golf?

Good point. To be honest I don't know why organizers even bother to handicap scrambles. In every one I've participated in, either the winners were obviously cheating or the rules were so badly thought out that they made the handicaps irrelevant.

Bill

Originally Posted by Kobey

I just read something interesting off the USGA FAQ pages.

Rule Misc.

Scrambles

Q.  What USGA Rules apply for a Scramble Format?

A.  A scramble format is not covered under the Rules of Golf. The Committee in charge of the competition must determine the necessary rules for the format.

Since that is the only type of tournament I ever play in, I guess I don't have to worry much about rules.

I've played in a number of scrambles which were still played by the rules of golf.  The only deviation was the necessary one of picking up the balls not selected for each shot, and allowing players to stand behind the player putting to "see" the line.  Otherwise the rules of golf applied as usual.  If a player set up to the ball after placing it and accidentally moved it, that was his shot for that turn.  Penalties also were counted, although rarely in the final score since it would take the whole group hitting bad shots to require the group to use a penalty shot.  Also, the teams were often flighted by total team handicap, so the rules came into play in that respect too.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

It's widely accepted that the non-golfers already left and couldn't care less who's a better player other than to know which person to steer clear of on Monday mornings.

Perfect.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

• 3 weeks later...

That's like allowing your children to steal and tell lies. There is a rule that states clearly that you nor anyone else is allowed to change the rules of stroke play...plain and simple. Hey, I don't care if you play by the rules or not, but don't brag about your score to me when you play mulligans, gimmies, etc. Thaat's a joke.

Ulysses

Note: This thread is 4506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!