IGNORED

Your 2012 Golf Goals - Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. Make Par on a hole( have only shot a few bogeys to date, but I know I have the potential) 2. Play a full 18 rounds from the white tees 3. Be able to hit all my irons for distance 4. Improve slice(getting better already) 5. Hit the green in regulation at least once and 6. buy a hybrid for my bag because I will never be able to hit my 7 wood

Originally Posted by slodsm

Break 90.

Learn to hit 4-6 iron with anything resembling consistency.

I'm the same way, give me a 7 - sandwedge any day but give me a 4 iron and I start to sweat a little.

Been posting on the site for a bit, so thought it was time to add my goals for the rest of the year:

1. Eliminate the blow up holes: Had a decent round this past weekend, blown to bits by a 10, a 12 and a 13. Everyone of those included at least one OB shot. Gotta quit that.

2. Consistently play double-bogey golf. I can handle going 112 one day and 106 the next, but I'd like to be around 108 consistently.

3. Break 100. Just once I'd like to have a legit double-digit score. I've done it a couple of times, but with mulligans/playing improved lies/etc. No more. I'm serious about playing it straight.

First goals for this year is breaking 90 and getting to play my hcp down to about a 15. Well, it's 3 months later, I've broken 90 about 15 times and my current hcp is 12.1. As I already played a round of 80, my next goal is to try and play a round of under 80. Single digit handicap wouldn't be impossible, but we'll see.

909D2 9.5 Stiff
Z-TX 3-H Stiff
Z-TX 4-PW Reg.
CG15 DSG 52 & 56
CG12 60 degree
Trinidad (CS)

Goals for the rest of the season:

1) Continue my streak of low rounds.

2) Hit more consistent shots.

3) Hit all fairways in a round of golf.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Only one goal at this time. Heal the back and get back out there. Been to hte doc twice. Ran through a cycle of anti inflammatories and I still have problems doing day to day things. Getting out of bed is an ordeal. Sucks because I was planning on moving, had my sights on a home that backs up to #7 fairway at my fave place. But there's no way I could get it done moving around in pain. Had to put the breaks on until I know what ails me. Next appt is tomorrow so we'll see.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let's see here... we're more than halfway through the year, but... 1) Get my index to single digits. 2) Break 80 for the first time in 20 or years or so. 3) Figure out how to be halfway consistent off the tee. (Probably why I'm not achieving goals 1 & 2...) 4) Smoke my best friend a couple more times to shut him up... :-P

:tmade: R11 9* Blur Stiff --- R11 14* 3w Blur Stiff --- Rescue 11 21* Aldila RIP Stiff :tmade: Tour Preferred CB 3i-6i --- MC 7i --- MB 8i-PW - Project X Flighted 6.0, custom lie and lofts :vokey: Oil Can 52.08 --- Oil Can 56.11 --- Oil Can 60.07 :cameron: 1996 Catalina - Custom specs made @ :titleist:

Originally Posted by ERLoft

4) Smoke my best friend a couple more times to shut him up...

That's a good one. I think I'll add it to my list. Eventhough my friend is better than me, and has been that for the past 2 years, I'm finally catching up. I'll get the chance of beating him tomorrow best bring my A-game.

909D2 9.5 Stiff
Z-TX 3-H Stiff
Z-TX 4-PW Reg.
CG15 DSG 52 & 56
CG12 60 degree
Trinidad (CS)

I just picked the game back up after a four hear hiatus and have really started taking it seriously. My goals for the rest of 2012 are:

1) Consistently hit fairways with my driver (Currently can only do it with my 3 hybrid)

2) Practice at least three times a week

3) Hit at least 10 greens in a round and have less than 36 putts

4) Get to a single digit index by the end of 2012

The last one may be a little lofty but I play a lot and that is my ultimate goal for the rest of the year

I just want the RA in my hands to subside enough to where it's not so painful to play as much as I would like to.  Other goals...get my handicap back to a 5 or under again.  Break Par again...it's been 15 years since I broke Par for 18 holes.  Finally...make a Hole - in -One.....I've been playing almost 40 years now....and have come close at least 30 times if not more....one of them finally needs to go in the hole!!!

Mid-Year Update: 1. Accomplished. 2. 15 played so far. (10) 18-hole rounds, (10) 9-hole rounds. 3. Shot a 93 on a par 71. 4. Accomplished. Shot a 78. 5. Accomplished. Currently at 23.6. 6. I've made progress, still plenty to work on. 7. Accomplished. I've played the last 4-5 rounds with no thin/fat shots, and that has helped dramatically. Still plenty of room to grow. Current Goals for 2012: 1. Play 20 rounds of golf. 2. Play 30 rounds of golf. 3. Break 90 on a par 72. 4. Break 85 on a par 72. 5. Break 75 on my local course (First Tee Chesterfield, par 66). 6. Break 40 on my local 9-hole course (Windy Hill). 7. Break 38 on my local 9-hole course (Windy Hill). 8. Bring my handicap to 15.

Update as I've changed my home course... Accomplished so far: 1. Replace my entire set of clubs. 2. Play 20 rounds of golf (I'll count 9-hole rounds as 0.5). -- Played 28 so far. (14) 18 holes, (28) 9 holes. 3. Break 90 on a par 72. -- Shot 87 on a par 71. 4. Break 85 on my local course (par 66). -- Shot a 78. 5. Bring my handicap below 25. -- Currently 21.5. Current Goals for 2012: 1. Score 85 on my home course (66.1/122). 2. Score 83 on my home course (66.1/122). 3. Score 40 on front 9 at my home course (par 35, 32.6/118). 4. Score 41 on back 9 at my home course (par 36, 33.5/125). 4. Bring handicap to 20. 5. Bring handicap to 15.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

Other than trying to continue to improve, I've been careful not to set any real goals. I've read through other people's goals, and it makes me think my problem may be unique, but here it is. In the past when I've set goals, I've actually had sort of a letdown or loss of interest after accomplishing the goal. Not for every goal I've ever set, but for a couple. - Waaaay back, I was all juiced up about trying to break 80. Well, I finally did it, and after I didn't repeat the feat over the next ten rounds or so, I just sort of lost interest. I did have some new business matters that were directing my interest away from golf, though. I quit playing golf for quite awhile after that. - I'd kept my index around 2 for almost a whole season. I wanted to play to scratch so badly...I was consumed with it. When I finally had a revision at scratch, I put my clubs away almost immediately for about a month. I was playing so much golf that I was pretty burned out - I'd either played or hit balls for something like 80 days In a row. I don't know if I thought I'd feel different or what, but other than seeing the .2 on the card, it was a little anticlimactic. I guess it was a lack of maturity (wtf ever....I was 41). After I picked my clubs back up, it took me almost a year to see scratch again, and that was fleeting.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

1. improve my short game. my ability to get up and down is keeping me from being a 1 or 2 HC.

2. join a club and play more. (budget is always an issue)

3. play in atleast 3 competative amateur tourneys. (already played in 2 and finished well in both but was disappointed in my second day rounds in both tourneys)

4. introducing my 4 year old to golf

Sports psychology recognizes three distinct types of goals:

Outcome Goals: Goals that take competition or comparison with others as a criteria, such as "I want to win my league tournament" or , "I want to beat my friends this weekend".

Performance Goals: Goals that take self-referenced performance criteria that are not dependent upon comparison with others, such as "I want to break 100", or "I want to lose less than two balls on the course today".

Process Goals: Goals that emphasize the actions or strategies needed to meet Outcome or Performance goals, such as "I want to follow my pre-shot routine for every shot", or "I want to make sure I follow through on all my shots".

A review of ten different studies found that in nine of those studies, setting a combination of all three types of goals lead to better results than using just one of the goal types individually.

For more information, see Eccles & Feltovich, (2009). DOI: 10.1002/piq.20014

• Upvote 1

My last goal for this year is to get to scratch. I am currently a 2.2. But that goal extends to the beginning of next season.

My 2013 goals are very much set in stone though. To place top 5 in the NB Mid-Am, and qualify for the Canadian Mid-Am, then at the end of the season, I will take and pass the PAT, and turn pro, which is my ultimate goal.

And no, I have no delusions of being a touring pro, I do however, want a pro license and proper training to get an official Golf Team together at the University I work at.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Note: This thread is 4091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!