IGNORED

Your 2012 Golf Goals - Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My 2012 goals, with what I consider to be their difficulty ranking. 1) Hit 55% fairways. (Last year I ended at 56%.) - [b]Easy[/b]: My local course has wide fairways and even with my bad drives I'm hitting them. I think I have no excuse not to continue. I would like to raise my target percentage but I have a lot of other work to do with my driver, dialing in accuracy doesn't seem realistic yet. I just don't want to get worse. 2) Hit 33% GIR (eg, 6/18). (Last year I finished at 20%.) - [b]Medium[/b]: GIR seem to come in spurts for me. I'll hit 3/4 then miss 9 in a row. Really, at a minimum I think I should hit 1 par-3, 2 par-5s, and 4 par-4s per standard par-72 round. Round that down a bit and 6 total should be doable. Really, all I need is to hone in my 8-iron through GW, as those are the clubs I use for about 50% of my GIR approaches. If I can hit the fairway, I should be hitting greens. 3) Drop my handicap to < 15. (Currently 16.6.) - [b]Easy[/b]: This is all about short iron and long wedge shots. If I can hit a couple extra greens and avoid making a few crappy shots here and there, I can knock a couple strokes off per game easily. 4) Drop my handicap to < 13. (Currently 16.6.) - [b]Hard[/b]: After I clean up my short game a bit, it's going to come down to better all-round ball striking. Long irons and hybrids will need more control, as will the driver. I need to avoid triple bogeys like the plague. This is doable, but it'll require a lot of improvement. 5) Drop my "anti-handicap" to < 19. (Currently 21.4.) - [b]Medium[/b]: I hate to be optimistic about the anti-handicap because it's really easy to screw it up. My handicap can tolerate the occasional really crappy game, but my A-HDCP can't. I'll need to control my bad games a little better. Some of it should be a result of consistent ball-striking, some will be improved course management. I really improved my A-HDCP this last year, but tightening it further will be a lot harder. My non-HDCP game will basically have to average 91 at my home course. 6) Break or hit 85. - [b]Medium[/b]: I've gotten 86 and some 87s. This should probably happen purely by chance if nothing else. 7) Play a double-bogey free round. - [b]Hard[/b]: I would [i]love[/i] to do this. To do so I'm really going to have to reign in those crappy shots that surface every so often, and I'm going to have to be a little more conservative in course management and then actually pull off the shots I want to hit. That's a lot of improvement, but nothing new and spectacular. 8) Play 20 rounds. - [b]Medium[/b]: This comes to a game about every other week, excluding a couple of winter months. I'm better about finding time to play consistently now. But kid #2 is on the way in mid-summer, so we'll see how frequently I can get out after that. I don't like setting unattainable goals, but I think all of those are within reason. Obviously, that doesn't mean I'll hit all of them, though, but I expect to get about 6/8 of them. (Same as last year.) At the end of the year, I'll determine what range of time/games I should use for my relevant stats, that way I can use stats most indicative of my ability at that point. I will probably choose something around the last 5 months (eg, July and later) or 10 games. It depends on how much I play and where my games are clustered throughout the year. Also, I include a small margin of error around percentages. For example, if my target for something is 50%, I'll accept 49.7%. Basically, if it rounds to the goal then it's close enough. For the record, here's how I assess the "difficulty" rating: Easy: I should be able to hit 3 out of 4 Medium: I should be able to hit about 1/2 Hard: I should be able to hit about 1/4 Here are a couple that I'd like, but aren't worth writing down: * Hit a par-5 in two - I've gotten pin-high on my second shot a couple times and been as high as the front of the green a couple more times, but it's always been to the side, never actually on the green. I'd love to hit one in two, but it's not a worthwhile goal because that's not the style of game I want to play. If I can get it, great, but I don't want to stand over every par-5 thinking that I need to hit the green in two, that would be a terrible recurring mental thought. Focusing on extra length isn't necessary and won't produce good results. Even if I did it once, other attempts would cause a lot of blow-ups. I'm just glad I have the theoretical length to do it, because for so long in my life I was a short hitter. * Hole out from more than 20 yards - I've holed out from about 20 yards off the green once, and other than that all within about 5 yards. No spectacular hole-outs from way far away. I'd love to do it, but how can you make that an actual goal? I'm just going to focus on getting it near the pin and let statistics run their course.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

1. Practice putting all winter to reduce number of 3 putts
  2. Work on flexibility over winter
  3. Work out to increase swing speed
  4. Break 85
  5. Lower handicap to 15 or lower.
  6. Spend less time on the range and more on the course.
  7. Improve pitching and chipping

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 goals this year:

1) Break 100. The closest I've gotten is 105, I average about 108-115 right now. Biggest problem is monster slices, on the rare occasions I can hit my first two shots straight-ish I can usually par or bogey the hole

2) Break 90 :) This of course is dependent on #1 happening.

I'm a evolvr member, and practice 5-10 hours a week before playing on the weekend, so I'm hoping these goals are realistic. But that 100 has been taunting me for 2 years now...

Make it to 2013 and spend more time doing stuff with my 7 yr old daughter.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

My goal is to just stay consistent. My goal for the end of 2010 was to get my handicap from 12 to 6. I got there but it was late January 2011. I had a massive blow out during winter but have gotten the handicap back to 6. I just want to avoid the same thing this year.

goals for 2012:

1. break 90. this is actually a left-over goal from 2011. i came really close a week or so ago by shooting a 91, so i'm thinking this one should be pretty easy.

2. practice more.

3. break 90 at least 5 times.

4. card at least 10 birdies over the course of the year. i don't think this should be a problem, despite my last birdie being about 8-9 months ago. yesterday, i missed 3-4 very make-able birdie putts just because i kept thinking "don't leave it short/don't push it/don't pull it/etc..."

5. have at least 1 round with no score over double bogey. this is going to be the hardest one, i'm sure, but it will keep me motivated. i look at my scorecards and just shake my head about what could have been if i could at least limit my blowup holes to 1 per side, or even more awesome would be 1 per round. this probably will fall into place if i can...

6. settle on ONE swing motion/theory/movement/thought and stop fiddling around.

- Get @ or below a 5 handicap

- Practice short game more

- Play more the twice a month

Hi Bore XL 10.5*

Launcher DST 3W 15*

Rescue 09 Hybrid 19*

MX-23 Irons 4-PW

Wedges 51*,56*, 60*

Classic II Putter

B330-RX

My targets for this year

- Commit to training, both golf and fitness

- Get fit and lose around 30 pounds (15kg)

- More discipline on competition rounds

-> Stoke average to 75

3 first are goals and last one is will (hopefully) the result

1. Play at least 30 rounds
  2. Track Statistics and use them to improve
  3. Establish a true handicap
  4. Walk at least 80 percent of my rounds
  5. Break 80
  6. Play in a a non-scramble tournament
  7. Buy some new equipment :)

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

1. Take at least twelve (12) professional golf lessons.

2. Improve my last ten rounds (nine holes) running average from 59.9 to 44.0 or better.

3. Improve official golf handicap from 36.4+ to 10.0 or better.

4. Score par or better for nine holes on a regulation golf course.

General goal is of course to keep improving.  My main measurable goal is to break 80 semi-regularly.  I broke it twice very early in 2011, but haven't since, due to a set of swing changes I made that hurt consistency.  I can only play about once a week, though I practice regularly.  So my goal is to break 80, say, 6 times in 2012.  If I can do that through the increased consistency which was the goal of the changes I made last year, then I have a good shot at my other goal, which is to lower my handicap, maybe down to 8.0?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

1. 40% GIR

2. 40% U/D

3. Under 33 putts per round

4. 51% fairways

5. Upload 2+ videos to Evlovr every month!

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Gym workout to improve core strength , endurance , flexibility and balance. Putting Short Game More Consistence And play more low 70s ..
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

• 3 weeks later...

1) Keep track of my game better, rather than just keeping score. Record putts per hole, fairways hit, and greens in regulation, to figure out what aspect of my game really needs improvement.

2) Hit at least one round below 85 on my regular course (I shot an 88 in the last round of the year which was my best round ever, but also my first round with my new irons)

3) Consistently break 90 whenever I play, wherever I play.

4) Hit the range more often, and practice more slowly.

Note: This thread is 4091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!