IGNORED

Your 2012 Golf Goals - Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. Work on the consistency of my my ball striking, swing and control.

2. Finally rid myself of my to often slice. (almost at that one )

3. Finally beat my father in a match.

4. Get to single digit handicap.

Well, I think I narrowed down my 2012 golf goals.  It seems I haven't really progressed over the last 3 years (read: break 100 consistently) but I am looking to attempt to practice just as much as I play.  Not sure how often I will get out but I am hoping at least 20 times.

1. Consistently shoot in the 90's - Last July I bought an Iphone and checked out some golf apps.  Downloaded Golfshot (lite) which is an awesome app for scorecard/stat tracking.  Was only able to log 5 rounds so my stats are terrible and skewed.  My scoring avg over those 5 rounds shows as 105 (111,108,102,100,109 - The 100 I shot 5 weeks later on the same course as the 111 - nice eh).  Like most of us Sand Trappers....after each round, I think back on how many shots I lost out on whether they were penalty strokes, easy missed putt, top the ball, fat shots, etc..The last round I had for example was a 109 and I fired my first 4 tee shots into the woods.

2. Average 36 putts per round - My putting is hit or miss and is something that I have worked on quite a bit in my basement this past winter.  I have a much better grip now with less wrist action and am looking forward to hitting some practice greens and trying some drills.  I had no problem draining 20 footers last year to save a double bogey :)  Small sample size again, but for my 5 rounds last year, my putts show as 39/round.  Since this will be the first year of fully tracking stats, 36 seems like a nice round number...

3. Fairways hit at 35% - For my FH and GIR, I had no idea what to put for an achievable goal so I kind of pulled the numbers out of my rear and will see how I do.  They aren't very high but I am trying to be realistic.  If I find out halfway thru the season that I am smashing these particular goals then I will readjust...I should be able to hit at least 5 fairways per round....especially the way I have been cranking the driver at the range...hope it translates to the course.

4. Greens in Regulation at 20% - Again, wasn't sure which % to aim for but this seems about right for me.  I am not very long off the tee and I can't hit my irons very well consistently so I have a hard time hitting GIR....but I think I can try and manage 3-4 per round.  I would like to be able to start learning my distances with each club too....

5. Reduce Penalties - I really believe this is what kills my score most days....always nailing balls into the woods or in to the drink...My goal is ultimately zero but will start keeping track to see how they affect my score at the end of the day

6. Reduce Fat/Thin shots - Would like to eliminate these all together...I am always good for a few bad ones every round so it will be nice to try and fully eliminate those types of shots...nothing worse than teeing off on a 500+ par 5 only to top the ball and have it roll 20 yards.   Makes for a much longer hole ;)

7. Walk vs Ride - I like to walk more than ride as I am out of shape and this helps, but on those super hot and humid days, I would rather cart just for the shade and  the small breeze I get...I don't do well in the sun at all.  I usually have to slap on 70 SPF multiple times in the day.  After each round, I will note on whether I walked or used a cart....will be interesting to see how each affects my score if at all over the season.

8. Finish top 4 on my "Guys Golf Trip" - Every June me and 7 other guys head to PEI for the weekend and play a couple of rounds.  Awesome times but for the 3 years that I have been going, I never finished better than 7th.  It's not competitive but there are some bragging rights.  2 of the 8 are pretty decent but the other 5 guys are right around where I am in skill level....A small personal goal of mine to have a good showing on what is always a great trip.

9 - Establish Handicap - No idea what my handicap is but I am sure it's in the 20-30 range.  This will be the year that I finally figure it out and stick with it.  That will help with a goal for 2013 to lower it whatever it may be at the end of this year.

There you have it..those are my quantifiable goals for 2012.

2012 Goals......Realistically!

• Handicap: Currently at 15.3, Goal is 10 in July. The last 3 winters my Hcap has mushroomed to 20 or 21 with my Summer low at 13 to 15.  Since this past winter my Hcap was 17, I should be able to get lower during the summer.
  • FIR%: Currently at 54%......Goal is 71 %
  • GIR%: Currently at 18%......Goal is 36 %
  • Putts: Currently at 32.....Goal is below 30

Hard to say with just a number. my best score is an 88 and its been less than a year but i imagine now that ive just quit duffing these are the hard strokes to cut off but ive been working on my putting where i have recently had a huge problem out of nowhere. im gonna shoot for 70's but id also like to play that draw with my driver. i can do it sometimes but when it doesnt work its a dirty snap hook that just leaves me screwed. But have hit it so sweet and far before i want it so bad.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by shamus

Consistently break 90. My best round ever was an 85, 2 years ago, but I've been stuck in the 90's ever since.

Same here. I need to start breaking 90 this season.  I'm CLOSE (low 90s) but I can't seem to minimize the mistakes enough to break them.

My goal is to shoot an even par round of golf. And to get my handicap lower than my dads (7.4 currently) which he will hate.   >:)

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shoot 5 consecutive rounds in the 70's.

Hit a consistent push-draw with my driver when I want to.

Get invited by iacas for some free lessons.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

My overall goal is to cut my handicap in half from 30.5 to 15.

Some side goals would be:

To play and/or practice more often. I would be happy with practicing twice a week and playing once a week.

To have a consistant drive giving me a playable lie whether its in the rough or fairway.

To learn my B & C swing as well as perfect my A swing.

Develop my short game

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

First Id like to break into the 80s. Second I'd like to get my handicap down to a 17 or below. I am a mid 90s golfer as we speak. I dontthink these goals are too lofty. We joined a CC last month and I plan to play 27 holes per week plus a range day.

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

Break 70!

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

The number one goal I have this year:

Shoot consistently in the 70s... ( or 30's since I usually only get to play 9 after work)

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Note: This thread is 4092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!