IGNORED

How Many Times Do You Hit the Gym for Strength Training?

DoGolf Jonathan
Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Bullworker

I'm 47 and have been lifting on and off since 14.  I have never looked like anyone that stars in an action film.  A few years back my wife was treated for 2-3 different types of cancer.  Between surgeries, radiation tablets and hormone treatments she was left rather "wilted".  Last year I bought her a golf pass and she started getting some mileage in walking the courses we play.  Unfortunately, although she was getting her legs back in shape, she was struggling trying to hit 75 yard drives.

So,  we signed up at a local rehab center which has a well stocked Nautilus circuit and we started do Super Slow/Power of 10/Body by Science workouts.  She is starting to gain muscle mass in her shoulders and hips, and I am losing weight lifting the prescribed 1-2 days a week and cutting my food intake to three one plate meals a day.  (No S Diet)

I do use a Bullworker as well.  But, too much gives me shoulder issues.

Best of luck with your wife's treatments. May you have many many rounds together as she gets stronger and you get buff.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Best of luck with your wife's treatments. May you have many many rounds together as she gets stronger and you get buff.

Why thank you.  She is getting healthier and her treatments keep her in remission.  (She is now down to one $1200 hormone shot and one radiation tablet a year...)  Yesterday she was on the phone with my father and it has been the first time in 5-6 years I heard her say she was feeling pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

I weight train 3 days a week with free weights and ride my exercise bike 2 or 3 days a week. I'll probably cut back to 2 days a weight lifting in the summer, since I'll be on the course every chance I can get.

Weight training 4 days per week: M, T, Th & F.  If I have a Saturday round, I will often switch the weight training days up to M, T, W & Th.

M & Th are generally legs, back & bicep.  T & F are generally chest, shoulders and triceps.

Additionally, Monday through Saturday I do cardio and core work.  Generally that just consists of a couple miles on the treadmill or some sprint work, and a 100-200 situps/crunches.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 3 months later...

Your wife's story is really inspiring, Bullworker.  All the best to her!  I think strength training is great for her to build back up.

I had a rough pregnancy and went through a time of stress and now am a little underweight.  Just joined Gold's after several years off.  I used to hate lifting and had to force myself to do it but funnily enough, this time around I am loving it.  Realistically I get to the gym 2-3x/week but the ideal would be 3-4x/week.  Don't do any gym cardio (just 10 min treadmill walking to warm up and 5 min to cool down; then do 20-30 min very focused strength training.)  I have a high energy dog and get cardio from him:-)  Goal is to gain 10# muscle and doing it by lifting + eating.

Back in January of this year I stood on the scale at my doctor's office. It said 237...it made me sick. About a month later I started playing golf again, started eating better (and less), and joined a gym that had just opened in my town. I try to make it at least 3 times a week, but I have a very busy schedule. As of today I'm at 215 and making progress.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

• 5 weeks later...

Im 18 and I lift heavily 5 to 6 times a week.  Some say thats too much for golf but honestly those are usually the same people that dont spend much time in the gym, at least as far as powerlifting goes.  Sure i've been sore on the golf course but never to the extent where it hindered my golf swing. I think it helps my game tremendously.  Having good lower body and core strength is going to help everyone hit the ball farther, plus you'll look better too.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Lifting 5-6 times is not to much as long as you are keeping track of which muscles you are working out. You can easily go, Upper/Lower Break Upper/Lower/Core, but am a fan of giving the body enough to rest. I rather be cautious on that side then get injured by over training.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't lift "heavy", but I do lift 4 times per week.  I go Monday/Thursdays (legs, back and biceps) and Tuesdays/Fridays (chest, shoulders & triceps).

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Bullworker

Why thank you.  She is getting healthier and her treatments keep her in remission.  (She is now down to one $1200 hormone shot and one radiation tablet a year...)  Yesterday she was on the phone with my father and it has been the first time in 5-6 years I heard her say she was feeling pretty good.

Good on you for sticking with her through this. My Wife has Lymphoma. She has 2 chemos left then 1 1/2 months of radiation. She is in remission now though.

Back on subject. I lift 5 days a week for strength, and do cardio each morning. I am not in perfect shape, but I'm getting there. Down about 100lbs since last year. PLan to loose another 100.

I do 3-5 days a week of lifting and I use an app on my phone to keep track of things.  With some sort of cardio at least 3 days a week (i count bikram as a cardio'ish workout)

I also do Bikram and Hatha Yoga (at different studios).

one week I'll lift M-W-F and do yoga T-Tr, the next week I might swim M-W, then lift T-TR then Run a 5k on friday etc...  Then I might do Yoga 3 days and lift 2 etc...

I do core prior to every gym workout.

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

• 2 weeks later...

I used to perform two bodypart-per-day workouts.  Chest and bi's Monday, Legs Tuesday, Back and Tris Wed, etc.  Now that I run and play golf, married with kids, time is limited so I do workouts that include all bodyparts in one workout.  I try to get to the gym 2x per week but I'm lucky to get there once.

Here is one of the workouts I follow that I personally like very much.  I guess it is a 36-week program because you can complete the Beginners program for 12 weeks, intermediate for another 12, then expert for 12 weeks: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki7.htm

Currently in my Cart Bag:

Driver:     RAZR Fit Driver, 8.5-degree, Stiff Flex Graphite Shaft

Wood:      RAZR Fit Fairway 5 Wood, 18-Degree, Stiff Flex Graphite Shaft

Hybrids:  Bazooka JMAX Tour Hybrid Iron-Woods, 3 (21-Degree) and 4 (24-Degrees) [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Irons:      Bazooka JMAX QL Irons, 5-PW, +1/2-inch [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Wedge:   Bazooka JMAX 304 Stainless M812 56-Degree Sand Wedge [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Putter:     Tour Tech Putter, 35-inch (Right Handed)

Champion Member since August 2012

Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!