IGNORED

Road to becoming a professional golfer

Travis Robinson
Note: This thread is 2333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Based on that information, it does sound like he is in a good position.  I find it hard to believe a 6 handicap is in a good position to do it within 2 years, but honestly these levels of golf that we are discussing are foreign to me.  I would think that a 6 is miles away from scratch, and scratch is miles away from the tours.  Thus, a 6 is light years away from the professional tours.  Hopefully the OP will continue to update his progress, but I fear he will simply say "follow me on Twitter!"

F**k twitter.

He did go from a 15 handicap down to a 6 in an impressive time period of time while paying off his student loans at the same time.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Lihu

He did go from a 15 handicap down to a 6 in an impressive time period of time while paying off his student loans at the same time.

That is pretty easy to do, I did it in one summer just playing once a week.  Going from 6 to 0, now that is tough.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by cipher

That is pretty easy to do, I did it in one summer just playing once a week.  Going from 6 to 0, now that is tough.

I can promise you that going from a 15 to a 6 in just one summer by only playing once a week is not something that is normal....or easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I know a 23 year old that shot 62 (par 71) from 7,000 yards to win the County Am 3 years ago. He has been gold as an am since them. He is a plus cap and shoots 67 on an average day. He is thinking about turning pro. He has the physical ability, has performed under pressure and in competition, has a good mental game, and has a mini-sponsor lined up. Even he knows it's a long shot but he is in a great position to try.

Based on that information, it does sound like he is in a good position.  I find it hard to believe a 6 handicap is in a good position to do it within 2 years, but honestly these levels of golf that we are discussing are foreign to me.  I would think that a 6 is miles away from scratch, and scratch is miles away from the tours.  Thus, a 6 is light years away from the professional tours.  Hopefully the OP will continue to update his progress, but I fear he will simply say "follow me on Twitter!"

F**k twitter.

A 10 is closer to scratch than a scratch is to playing on tour. So light years is correct for a guy who is playing to a 6. The point is that it gets incrementally harder to improve once you get into single digits and then beyond.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

I can promise you that going from a 15 to a 6 in just one summer by only playing once a week is not something that is normal....or easy.

Yes you are right, I misstated that.  Not that easy, especially depending on what issues are holding the golfer back.  Maybe it just felt that way to me as well.  But pretty easy still in comparison to going from 6 to 0.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

A 10 is closer to scratch than a scratch is to playing on tour. So light years is correct for a guy who is playing to a 6. The point is that it gets incrementally harder to improve once you get into single digits and then beyond.

Yep way harder.

Nate

To quote Tom Coyne from Paper Tiger : "Scratch is shit."

I've mentioned it before, but the course I used to work at hosted a mini-tour event for the then-Tar Heel Tour. I followed the guy who ended up winning it on Sunday. Very windy conditions. Course record before that day was 67. He shot 63. Afterwards, he was kind enough to allow me sit down on the patio of the Pro Shop and talk to him. I asked him, "Why the hell aren't you on the Tour?" I had honestly never seen anyone play like this guy. Flushed every shot. Beautiful touch around the greens. Sank so many hard putts. He laughed and said "Have you ever seen those guys play in person?" I hadn't. He then went on to try and describe the difference between a Tour Pro and him. Apparently, those guys are on a level of play that most of us can't comprehend.

Originally Posted by Lihu

I agree that is impressive.  However, at some point last year I went from a 16 to a 9 (it lasted for 2 weeks before going back up to 11) over the course of 4 months, so I believe that 15 to 6 can be done with proper instruction, working pretty hard for a year and possessing a modicum of talent/skill.  But I still stand behind my belief--or theory, I suppose--that the time it takes in going from the teens to the single digits is no indication of one's ability to get to scratch or beyond.  I could be wrong, but the depths of golf below a 1 handicap seem like a netherworld compared to where the majority of us play.

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

To quote Tom Coyne from Paper Tiger: "Scratch is shit."

I had to look this up.  This book seems like it should be required reading for anybody starting a thread like this.  I may even give it a read.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I had to look this up.  This book seems like it should be required reading for anybody starting a thread like this.  I may even give it a read.

It's a must-read for all golfers in my opinion, regardless of aspirations. Very funny book at times. I remember it making me laugh pretty hard at times. Great look into how hard it is to play at that level for us mere mortals.

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

I've mentioned it before, but the course I used to work at hosted a mini-tour event for the then-Tar Heel Tour. I followed the guy who ended up winning it on Sunday. Very windy conditions. Course record before that day was 67. He shot 63. Afterwards, he was kind enough to allow me sit down on the patio of the Pro Shop and talk to him. I asked him, "Why the hell aren't you on the Tour?" I had honestly never seen anyone play like this guy. Flushed every shot. Beautiful touch around the greens. Sank so many hard putts. He laughed and said "Have you ever seen those guys play in person?" I hadn't. He then went on to try and describe the difference between a Tour Pro and him. Apparently, those guys are on a level of play that most of us can't comprehend.

I am going to say that part of the reason that guy is not on tour is NOT lack of ability, but lack of self confidence.  The guys on tour, particularly the winners, believe in themselves even when they aren't playing well.  Have you ever seen Tiger interviewed after a poor round and seen him say that he is not far away or when he was all over the course and said that he mostly hit the ball well except for a shot or two.

Yes, the pros are tremendously talented, and most of us might not be even close, but my guess is that the difference between the guy you saw shoot 63 and a Jim Furyk or Zach Johnson is mental, not physical.  JF and ZJ believed they belonged on tour and put in the hard work until it happened.  Believing in yourself is no guarantee that you will make it but a lack of believe seems like a guarantee you will be right.

• Administrator

15 to 6 is plenty possible. We taught a guy that went form 9 to 1 in a few months, so a lot of things are POSSIBLE.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

15 to 6 is plenty possible. We taught a guy that went form 9 to 1 in a few months, so a lot of things are POSSIBLE.

Oh, I 100% believe it is POSSIBLE.  But going from 15 to 6 in one summer and only playing once a week is not easy.

Easy was the word used and it almost sounded like that accomplishment was the norm.

***cipher already stated that his post was mis-stated.

• 3 months later...

Dont give up your day job.

It will be very difficult to get to scratch, if you are at 14 now at age 25.

If you enjoy the game, by all means try to improve, but remain pragmatic, and attempt to judge your progress logically.  The odds are against you starting at your age.

good advice dick

good advice dick

How is being realistic being a dick?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

How is being realistic being a dick?

Equally, why comment now, on a post that was made 2 years ago.....? :-\

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

dont worry about it..... you did too, very quickly

Nope. I commented on one made 10 minutes before mine. EJ commented on one made 50 minutes before his. You were 2 years late, but then again, those classic threads never really go out of style., :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!