IGNORED

Road to becoming a professional golfer

Travis Robinson
Note: This thread is 2307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Mihi,

Wow, very inspiring, thank you for posting and sharing.  I feel like I'm going through the same things you were when you decided that you wanted something and why not try and get it.

This is really great to hear and I appreciate the vote of confidence.

You are exactly right, maybe I will, maybe I won't, but I'm going to give it my best!

This is truly great to hear about how determination and passion will get you VERY far.

Please stay on board!

Originally Posted by mihi4

ATTENTION: LONG POST!

I was thinking quite some time about posting something to this thread, but now I decided to do it.

Short Version:

@Travis: GO FOR IT!

If you have the financial means to give it a try, and don't bring other people (i.e. a family) into trouble, do it!!!

Don't listen to the nay-sayers, because they cannot understand, how something is possible, that they didn't manage to do.

Long Version:

Some background story first.

During my childhood (35 years ago) I grew up like a regular boy, doing all kinds of sports, most of it, playing a lot of football (soccer, for the u.s.).

Since it's most common to play in junior leagues, my parents let me play there, and I got used to do things competitively.

At age 14, I tried Volleyball for the first time, and was hooked. 1 or 2 years later, my dream was to play internationally, have a jersey with my name on it and make it to Austria's national team.

Let me tell you, that at this time I was about 165cm in height, so these weren't the perfect athletic abilities, to say the least.

So I concentrated a lot on technique and strategy. Of course I worked out in the gym to maximise my jumping strength, to be able to compete.

At age 17 I already played in my hometown's men's team in Austria's 2nd league.

When I turned 20, a club of the first league wanted to trade me to them, and our team's manager at that time asked me, "Don't you overestimate your potential, my friend?" (sounds familiar, Travis?)

I grabbed the chance and never looked back.

I played semi-professional (more wasn't possible at that time in Austria) Volleyball for the next 15 years - I didn't grow higher than 180cm BTW, but I managed to jump 90cm in my best times (reaching 2m24cm while standing, and 3m14cm with a jump).

Even after university, when I got a job, I managed to attend training 5 times a week and play the matches at the weekends.

Now, I have a jersey with my name on it on a wall at my house, I played at a EuropeanClubChampionships (CEV-Cup) tournament in Spain and even got a call for the national team for one time.

Yes, I trained _a_lot_. And yes, I think I had some phyiscal abilities that helped me to get to that jumping strength I had.

But this was only to compensate for my low height.

What really kept me inside our country's top players were my technique and strategy - and that's something not given or you're born with it. That are things you can learn.

But it is even as important to get mentally involved in what you are doing.

I didn't just listened what my trainers told me - I watched videos of the best volleyball setters to see, what they were doing different than me and try to adapt.

Think about, what were my best tactical options in different situations, and so on. Read as many books and articles I could find and pick out the things that were valuable to me.

I ate, drank and dreamed Volleyball as long as I can remember.

I always wanted to understand, _HOW_ something is working, and _WHY_.

And I think, that's what is meant, when I read about "deliberate practise".

It's not only the amount of time put into something, but the mental intensity you're doing it. I think 30 minutes of deliberate practice (understanding _what_ , _why_ and _how_ you are doing something) are much more effective than being on the range for 2 hours, without even thinking what you are doing.

What I had, was determination.

I didn't go out long the night before a game, never drank too much and tried to stay healthy.

My friends would always tease me, "Come on, 4 or 5 beers more can't be that bad", or "You are going home _NOW_? It's just starting to get funny!" and so on.

I read paper tiger last year and after some pages, to me it was clear, he wouldn't make it. There's one situation, where he comes to Florida and sees all those players at the range and the first thing that comes to his mind is something like "I wish I would be as good as them" and he's freezing with respect.

That's not the attitude to get good at something, least getting to beat someone. If you don't think, you can win, you won't - and that was where his fate was determined IMHO.

I think, most of the guys, not making it on tour don't have worse golfing abilities than the others, technical wise.

To me, it looks like the difference is the competitiveness of the better guys.

Nobody fell out of the sky being an expert in something.

Once again, Travis - go for it and keep us updated, how it goes!!

I won't say, you will make it, and I won't say you won't make it.

All I can say is, get involved in the things you have to do to reach your goals and give everything you have - this way you will know, that you did your best!

greetings

michi

Lots of good stuff here, please keep it going.

First, I know that I don't have what it takes right now, I had a typo somewhere in a post and said that I definitely know that I have the talent right now.  Ha, very different point that I was trying to make ---I KNOW I'M NOT READY YET. :P

I have my gameplan currently:

Practice at least 20 hours a week - check - Also, as I start working less, I'll obviously be practicing more and in 4 years, I'll be in a position to triple my practice and go all year round.  I'm also not talking about mindlessly hitting balls.  I'm talking about deliberate and precise practice to work on all aspects of my game.  I have come to a big conclusion that one of the reasons why people practice A LOT but don't get much better is how they leave out detail in their work ethic, or how they don't have a certain goal, or how they don't take their full pre shot routine even though they're on the range, or they don't get in the proper mind set, or they neglect the mental game, or maybe they're super great but they have no tournament/pressure experience.  I will be deliberately practicing on all that.

Save up $1000 each month - check - No more Taco Bell :(

Work less each month - check - I've posted before and it's true, I work about 70 hours a week.  That includes 3 jobs.  I'm quitting one, and the other I'm not taking on any more students as well as organizing them better to save a bunch more time.  I'll still be able to save $1000 each month as well.  For the next 4 years I'll be able to put about 35 hours into my game during the school year(I'm a teacher), and then obviously I'll be going non stop in the summer.  This has averaged out to around 1700-1800 hours each year.

Get suitable indoor practicing equipment - check - I've got an indoor driving range and launch monitor, I have an indoor putting green, I'm working on all my clubs indoors except for driver and my 4 wood because they make dents in my ceiling!

Get a golf/swing coach over the winter - check - The other BIG reason I have found that a lot of practice doesn't improve is because a player will practice bad habits and the more he practices, the more it becomes ingrained in their head.  I have someone that is going to be working with me throughout the winter, he will be analyzing the swing, I'll be going to his indoor facility, and I'm going to work hard on a grip, posture, alignment, swing, chip, putt, etc.

Work on mental game - sort of check? - Like I said before as well, I know that there are so many good golfers that are probably better than some pros on tour except that their mental game isn't up to par(ha....ha....) and that is a HUGE problem.  I said sort of check because the best way to work on pressure situations and etc is to obviously play in tournaments and be in those pressure situations.  I can't at the moment obviously but I'm working on positive thinking, visualizing, confidence, a proper mind set, etc.  It sounds weird but I think it will help quite a bit - before bed I close my eyes and pretend that I'm in those situations and that I'm dealing with the pressure and hitting shots crisply.

Enjoy the passion and keep the determination - check so far - This is obviously going to be the hardest goal to keep.  ABSOLUTELY anyone could become a pro if they practiced, lived, and breathed golf for 40 years 14 hours a day.  I'm not going to do that but when I move, I'll hopefully be practicing 10-12 hours a day and again this will probably be more like a 10-15 year journey.  The funny and huge advantage I think I have over other golfers though is that I really really have fun when I practice.  I also mix it up quite a bit to keep things interesting.

Again, my future goals are:

Saving up $60k in 4 and a half years

Moving to Florida(or somewhere warm, I'm just going to say Florida) to work on my game all year round.

Get a job at a golf course.

I feel it's very solid, if I get a job at a golf course in Florida, I will be able to golf for free and probably get discounted lessons from pros in the course.  I'll be able to work on my game all year round and with the money saved up, I'll be comfortable for quite awhile.  I can also build a repetoire of guitar students and make good money from that just from let's say 10 guitar students which would only be 5 hours a week.  I'd be able to live off what I make right then and not have to tap in to my savings.  Let's say 5 years later, things are definitely not going well, I have money saved up to go back home and that's that.

Also, I know that 60k could go by very very fast if I'm trying to do some mini tours and that'd be a slight problem.  I do want to get the pressure situations comfortable but I'd rather not put in a lot of money if I'm not ready to win money yet.  There are other ways to do this on a lower level of pressure but easily achievable still.  Local tournaments are everywhere and would definitely help, or small tours of some kind.

I know I've got infinite amounts of work to catch up on but I have my gameplan, I'm achieving my goals so far, I'm making progress, and I'm in it for the long haul.  Oh and the biggest thing, I'm having fun!

We get it.  You've got a plan.  You're not the first, and won't be the last, 15 handicapper with visions of glory.

Tell you what - Come back in six months (better yet, a year), after working those many hours a day in your indoor driving range and swing monitor, with your instructor and mental approaches, and tell us the progress you are making.  Until then, I think I've heard it enough times already.  I'm out of this thread.

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by Harmonious

We get it.  You've got a plan.  You're not the first, and won't be the last, 15 handicapper with visions of glory.

Tell you what - Come back in six months (better yet, a year), after working those many hours a day in your indoor driving range and swing monitor, with your instructor and mental approaches, and tell us the progress you are making.  Until then, I think I've heard it enough times already.  I'm out of this thread.

Me too.

It's getting beyond ridiculous.

He is planning on achieving something that has never been done before and we're supposed to "keep it going".

If he gets to a single fgure handicap, that would be great. Even that is 1000 times harder than he thinks.

Over and out.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Travis Robinson

Holy crap guys, I meant to say that I definitely know that I don't have the talent right now!

Then you never will.  You seem to not understand the difference between talent and ability.  Talent + development (via instruction, practice, determination, etc.) - ability.  It takes both in large doses to make touring pro.  And talent doesn't change.  I think a reasonable goal for you might be to get to the point of passing the PAT test and become a club pro,.  Touring pro?  No way.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good Luck Travis.  Ignore the negativity.  You'll miss every shot you don't take.  Another book you might look at is a book called "The talent Code"  it basically puts to bed the myth that talent is a born gift.  If you down load  the (audible) app and set up a account you first audio book is free. I don't have a ton of time to read so I listen to tons of audio books.  Audible  its linked to Amazon.   I read paper Tiger and it is a great read.  You'll enjoy Tom Coyne.  He's a great writer.  I just wished his books were on audio.

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Wood Taylormade R11 Hybrid 19* Taylormade MC Forged Irons 4-PW Taylormade XFT 52, 56 60 Wedges Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter Taylormade Penta Balls

Thanks Matthews,

I agree with you matt and respectively disagree with turtleback.  Talent isn't something you're born with.  It's dedication, practice, hard work, basically what turtleback was describing as ability.

Does Tiger have more talent than me?  Obviously yes but that's because he started playing golf when he was 18 months old.  He supposedly racked up about 15 years of experience playing golf when he started winning big stuff when he was 18.  Talent is what you make of it.

You'll miss every shot you don't take.  That's my whole mindset.  I will take a look at the talent code as well, thank you for the tip!

Originally Posted by mathews42

Good Luck Travis.  Ignore the negativity.  You'll miss every shot you don't take.  Another book you might look at is a book called "The talent Code"  it basically puts to bed the myth that talent is a born gift.  If you down load  the (audible) app and set up a account you first audio book is free. I don't have a ton of time to read so I listen to tons of audio books.  Audible  its linked to Amazon.   I read paper Tiger and it is a great read.  You'll enjoy Tom Coyne.  He's a great writer.  I just wished his books were on audio.

Hey, an easier and less annoying way to follow me is on twitter if you guys want to:

travdaddy226

I will be keeping track of my progress on there and keeping you informed so please follow as this will take awhile!

A few things:

I played 18 holes today at Geneva National.  It was cold, definitely not the 61 degrees like they promised.  There was no sun, whipping winds, and it was more like 45 degrees.

The first 9 holes was terrible, 49.  I changed my mindset and just relaxed for the back 9 and ended up shooting a 39.

The funnier thing is that the 39 included a hole where I scored a 10 on.

I tried to get on a par 5 in two and pushed my iron into the drink.  I then stubbed my wedge fat to hit it in the drink again, good times!

But, for that back 9, I hit 6 fairways, 7 GIRS, made 3 birdies, should of had 4 or 5 of them, and with that double digit number 10 on one of the holes, I shot a 39.

I felt really great about it actually.

Also, I got hooked up with another teacher at a college 5 minutes away that has state of the art indoor practice facilities so I will be down there a lot!

Cheers to everyone.

Well it is hard to have a conversation where you make up the definition of a word. Can we define pro as making 50 bucks of scrip at the pro shop? Then I like your chances.

In most sports, no sane person would argue against the importance of genetics.  No amount of training will get 99% of the population to run a sub 10s 100m, throw a baseball 95mph, run a sub 3:50 mile, run a 4.5 40 and so on. The only people that believe otherwise are the ones that have never tried.

Golf falls into a funny ground where a lot of the shots don't seem so impressive (Pretty much anyone can physically hit a 60 foot put, 100 yard wedge,...) but the end result is something that few people can do. Think of it as painting a Jackson Pollock. In theory I think my dog could do one. In practice only a few people have been paid for doing work like that.

The good news is that the opportunity cost of doing this is super low. After 1000 hours of training it will be clear if you have a shot as that will get you 95% of the way there.  The next 9000 hours will be all about getting 5% better.

Thanks Matthews,

I agree with you matt and respectively disagree with turtleback.  Talent isn't something you're born with.  It's dedication, practice, hard work, basically what turtleback was describing as ability.

Does Tiger have more talent than me?  Obviously yes but that's because he started playing golf when he was 18 months old.  He supposedly racked up about 15 years of experience playing golf when he started winning big stuff when he was 18.  Talent is what you make of it.

You'll miss every shot you don't take.  That's my whole mindset.  I will take a look at the talent code as well, thank you for the tip!

Hey, an easier and less annoying way to follow me is on twitter if you guys want to:

travdaddy226

I will be keeping track of my progress on there and keeping you informed so please follow as this will take awhile!

Like I said, it's about the attention.  Twitter is a narcissistic wonderland of egomaniacs.  Try improving, post your scores and see what happens.  I'd say by this time next year you might have the chance of being a single digit hcp.  Then again, you might not.  Good luck.

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

Quote:

travdaddy226

Like I said, it's about the attention.  Twitter is a narcissistic wonderland of egomaniacs.  Try improving, post your scores and see what happens.  I'd say by this time next year you might have the chance of being a single digit hcp.  Then again, you might not.  Good luck.

Mostly true, and for the point you're making,  you're probably right. But as much as I hated twitter when it first came out, it's actually pretty useful for sports injury information, practice information in regards to sports, normal news info, and comedy. Also, I thought chambleegate was highly entertaining and actually quite productive towards making the golf world a little bit better.

I'm veering slightly off topic now. Just wanted to make that point though.

Good luck, Travis. You're gonna need it.

PS- Also, good or bad, the Arab Spring relied a lot on twitter, among other forms of social media.

PPS- I'm on neither twitter nor facebook, so.... mostly playing devil's advocate.

Constantine

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

Like I said, it's about the attention.  Twitter is a narcissistic wonderland of egomaniacs.

Really? Because I use it to ask questions, talk to my friends, get some interesting news (or share interesting news), and so on. Twitter can be about that if you want it to be. Or it can be something totally different.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Travis, please keep us all posted on your progress vs. just saying what you PLAN doing.  Also, provide evidence on your progress...scorecards, official handicap, post your swing, etc etc.  Also, make sure you are following the complete rules of golf.  You would be surprised how much your handicap can be affected if you don't consistently play by the rules of golf.

If you truly believe you can do this and want people to see you do it (obviously you do or you wouldn't of made this thread), you need to start showing it and stop talking it.

I wish you luck in your goal.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I tend to disagree with “Talent isn't something you're born with." All the great athletes are born with talent; it is refined with dedication and practice. Like everyone I have some swing flaws but I have always had the natural ability to shape a golf ball, I don't know why but I did.

Thanks Matthews,

Still waiting on pics of the indoor driving range and putting green set up!

Get suitable indoor practicing equipment - check - I've got an indoor driving range and launch monitor, I have an indoor putting green, I'm working on all my clubs indoors except for driver and my 4 wood because they make dents in my ceiling!

• 10 months later...

It's been quite a while oh man.

Well I know many people aren't that interested but I figured I might as well keep posting anyways.  I like discussion.

I've been golfing for 4 years now, my handicap is at a 7.5 now and my plan is still in place.  I was hoping to be around a 5 HC about now but a nagging injury severely limited my practice as I had to take off golf completely for about a month of my summer.

The biggest issue is money right now (Usually the issue for anything), I am in debt and need to save up a lot of money for when I move to focus just on my golf game.

I have been doing that as I'm working quite a bit and am hoping to still get out of debt and save up enough money in 3-4 years or so.  I'll continue to chop my handicap down as I save money.

I'm hoping to be around scratch by the time I'm ready to move.

I'm still on the road, I still have my plan in place, I'm moving towards my goals, and I'm still motivated as ever to do this.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Also, you can follow me on twitter @travdaddy226

Note: This thread is 2307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!