IGNORED

Golf Handicap Calculator

lsu70510
Note: This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone have / know of a Microsoft Excel template which calculates your handicap?  I go to golf.com and must enter ALL of my rounds after every round I play to determine my handicap.  I wanted a free template which calculates it for me so I can save the information and edit it after each round.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

IN MY BAG:

- TaylorMade R11 Driver (Stiff Flex)

- TaylorMade R11 3 Wood (Stiff Flex)

- TaylorMade Rescule 11 (Stiff Flex)

- Nike Slingshot irons (3 - PW)

- TaylorMade TP xFT 52*

- TaylorMade TP xFT 60*

- Nike OZ Mallet Putter

- Titleist NXT Tour golf balls

- Footjoy StaSoft glove

- Adidas Powerband Sport shoes

It's super easy to right the formula yourself to get the HC score for each round.  Say you write in a bunch of stats about the round in a row 1, with column A being your score, column B being the course rating from the tees you played, and column C being the course slope from the tees you played.  Then your index score for that round is:

=(A1 - B1) * (113 / C1) * 0.95

Say that formula is in column D.  If you've entered at least 20 rounds, then your HC is just the average of the best 10.  There's definitely a better way to get that average, but an easy way to get it is to use the SMALL function.  SMALL takes two arguments.  The first is the array of values, in this case D1:D20.  The second is the rank of the value you want.  So if you want the second smallest value, you would type "=SMALL(D1:D20, 2)".  So you could put into some cell the formula:

=(SMALL(D1:D20, 1) + SMALL(D1:D20, 2) + SMALL(D1:D20, 3) + ... + SMALL(D1:D20, 10)) / 10

Where the ... signifies using that same SMALL formula for ranks 4 through 9.

Alternatively, there are plenty of free handicap trackers for both the PC and your phone.  I use the "Handicap" app for my android phone.  It doesn't keep tons of stats.  Just FWs, GIR, and penalties.  But you can enter courses and rounds and it'll keep your HC for you and keep track of those other three stats as well.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have an excel file.... if you want to shoot me a PM with your email address, I'd be happy to send it your way.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by mdl

=(A1 - B1) * (113 / C1) * 0.95

The multiplier is actually 0.96.

Also you can make it a little more elegant by keeping a second sheet with an identifier for each course (and each set of tees, if you play different ones) on a row along with the rating and slope. Then you can just enter the course/tee identifier and have it automatically look up the rating and slope from the second sheet (instead of entering those numbers every time you play that course/tee). For example, here's my formula for finding the differential:

ROUND((A1-VLOOKUP(B1,Courses!$A$3:$C$102,2,FALSE))*113/VLOOKUP(B1,Courses!$A$3:$C$102,3,FALSE),1)

In this example, B1 is the course/tee identifier and A1 is the score I shot. "Courses" is the name of a second sheet with the courses on it, where column A is the course/tee identifier that I enter with my score on the first sheet, column B is the rating, and column C is the slope. The Course sheet has a list of courses from row 3 to row 102. The third argument in the VLOOKUPs is the column number for the value I'm looking for (column 2 for rating, column 3 for slope), and the 4th argument (FALSE) tells VLOOKUP to find an exact match, not an approximate one.

Just as an example of what I mean by a course/tee identifier, I might use "DOB" for Diamond Oaks blue tees.

There may be better ways of doing this - I am by no means an Excel expert.

(Also note that the 0.96 multiplier is not in my formula because I do that when I average the 10 best.)

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

The multiplier is actually 0.96.

Also you can make it a little more elegant by keeping a second sheet with an identifier for each course (and each set of tees, if you play different ones) on a row along with the rating and slope. Then you can just enter the course/tee identifier and have it automatically look up the rating and slope from the second sheet (instead of entering those numbers every time you play that course/tee). For example, here's my formula for finding the differential:

ROUND((A1-VLOOKUP(B1,Courses!$A$3:$C$102,2,FALSE))*113/VLOOKUP(B1,Courses!$A$3:$C$102,3,FALSE),1)

In this example, B1 is the course/tee identifier and A1 is the score I shot. "Courses" is the name of a second sheet with the courses on it, where column A is the course/tee identifier that I enter with my score on the first sheet, column B is the rating, and column C is the slope. The Course sheet has a list of courses from row 3 to row 102. The third argument in the VLOOKUPs is the column number for the value I'm looking for (column 2 for rating, column 3 for slope), and the 4th argument (FALSE) tells VLOOKUP to find an exact match, not an approximate one.

Just as an example of what I mean by a course/tee identifier, I might use "DOB" for Diamond Oaks blue tees.

There may be better ways of doing this - I am by no means an Excel expert.

(Also note that the 0.96 multiplier is not in my formula because I do that when I average the 10 best.)

To get an accurate index you also have to do the rounding correctly.  Differentials are rounded to the nearest tenth.  Then the Index is truncated to the tenths place.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

To get an accurate index you also have to do the rounding correctly.  Differentials are rounded to the nearest tenth.  Then the Index is truncated to the tenths place.

Yep. I"m rounding in the formula I posted, and I'm truncating when I do the average and multiply by 0.96, which I didn't post. I was assuming the OP knew the formula and was just asking how to implement it in Excel, so I didn't go into more detail... but you're right to point that out.

Bill

Thanks for all of your reply's.  I truly appreciate the help!!!

IN MY BAG:

- TaylorMade R11 Driver (Stiff Flex)

- TaylorMade R11 3 Wood (Stiff Flex)

- TaylorMade Rescule 11 (Stiff Flex)

- Nike Slingshot irons (3 - PW)

- TaylorMade TP xFT 52*

- TaylorMade TP xFT 60*

- Nike OZ Mallet Putter

- Titleist NXT Tour golf balls

- Footjoy StaSoft glove

- Adidas Powerband Sport shoes

• 2 years later...

Can u send me your excel file for handicap tracking?? Bmervar19@gmail.com

Sorry... just saw this. You should have it now.

BTW, Welcome to The Sand Trap. I hope that you stick around; it's a great community to be apart of.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 3 weeks later...
If you could send it to me as well, I would certainly appreciate it. 14ledo81@gmail.com

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Hi there... would you be willing to send me the excel spreadsheet as well?  Thank you!  slevy53@live.com

[quote name="14ledo81" url="/t/54088/golf-handicap-calculator#post_982169"]If you could send it to me as well, I would certainly appreciate it. 14ledo81@gmail.com[/quote] Just out of curiosity, why would you want a spreadsheet to calculate an invalid handicap index, when you can obtain a genuine, valid index for $25 or so per year?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a spreadsheet to calculate an invalid handicap index, when you can obtain a genuine, valid index for $25 or so per year?

Is it invalid to use an excel spreadsheet?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a spreadsheet to calculate an invalid handicap index, when you can obtain a genuine, valid index for $25 or so per year?

That's what I was wondering as well. sure it'd be nice just to know for your own interest but it's useless if you want to enter any tournaments.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I don't play in any tournaments, and have no plans to. Strictly for my own interest. Mainly to gauge progress.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I don't play in any tournaments, and have no plans to. Strictly for my own interest. Mainly to gauge progress.

Then track your average score..... One mathematical calculation means no more than another for your purpose.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!