IGNORED

Question about the gloved hand

Note: This thread is 4554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Forgive me if this topic is well covered in another thread....

My question about the gloved hand (my right hand) is about just how much cupping it's supposed to have during the swing?

The idea of having a flat wrist at impact automatically made me flatten my wrist at setup, and then also at the top of my back swing, with very little to no cupping so to speak. My results weren't bad. I could play good golf. At setup my hands would be pushed a fair way out in front of the ball. This is something I was taught to do to try and fix another swing flaw from about 3 or 4 years ago.

Recently I have moved to cupping this wrist a LOT. At first it felt as if the shaft was pointing behind me 90* to my target line, when in actuality it was on a really good plane.

The instant results were nothing short of amazing with the irons. My control, ball flight, accuracy were all dramatically different. Even the strike was better.

But alas, my driver and 3W have become extremely unreliable. Both clubs began (or continued more or less) to emit massive push fades.

So far my only remedy for the leftness of my woods has been to close the face up, and to really try and feel like the hands get way in front of ball at impact, trying desperately to hold my 'flying wedge'. Again, this is not proving to be entirely reliable, although it's not as if every drive is poor. At times this has over corrected the problem to a slight pull draw (which I'm not too unhappy about, as it's a sign of ironing out the push fade kink)

In the two or so weeks since making this change even the irons have slipped a little, but they're still pretty damn good most of the time. (My tempo among other things could be contributing to a loss of consistency here)

Is this feeling of over-cupping (again, it's only the feeling) worth persisting with? Or does it create complications for the down swing? I haven't seen a lot of instruction regarding this so I'm not sure how correct it is.

Note: This thread is 4554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!