IGNORED

Stevie Williams - Racist?

turtleback
Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seriously?

Originally Posted by FLOG4

I love how when a white person mentions anything remotely to do with color they are a racist.....Meantime all the blacks in sports utilize descriptive adjectives that most reading these posts wouldn't allow their kids to listen to....And they all just get swept under the carpet.

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

Seriously?

Yeah, "all the blacks in sports" totally act the same way, man. Who can tell them apart anyway?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Media Outlook votes this one of best sports Halloween costumes of this year and there is no real public outcry (Other than 'why isn't their an outcry of this is racist. If it were a white guy in dressed as a black guy the $&$% would be hitting the fan').

Dwayne Wade dressed as Justin Timberlake

justin-timberlaker-300x225.jpg

Then the same media outlet posts this the  very next day and the "racist" outcry begins (Raffi Torres dressed as Jay-Z).

raffi_torres_was_jayz_for_halloween_dark_skin_included.jpg

If the only thing Stevie said was 'black $%^$'  then the public/media fail again.

I am a great CEO, thanks and what exactly is it that you do that makes you the expert on everything?

I never said they'd cancel his contract I said they are watching the situation and might threaten it if it continues to escalate and Scott refuses to fire Stevie.  I guess Tigers loss of Gatorade and AT&T; endorsements had nothing to do with his behavior either just a coincidence right?

Originally Posted by Shorty

You must be joking.

How much do you want to bet that Titleist will cancel Scott's contract?

Your house?

Imagine it - Titleist cancels Scott's contract because Steve Williams is an idiot. You'd be a great CEO.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I am a great CEO, thanks and what exactly is it that you do that makes you the expert on everything?

I never said they'd cancel his contract I said they are watching the situation and might threaten it if it continues to escalate and Scott refuses to fire Stevie.  I guess Tigers loss of Gatorade and AT&T; endorsements had nothing to do with his behavior either just a coincidence right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

You must be joking.

How much do you want to bet that Titleist will cancel Scott's contract?

Your house?

Imagine it - Titleist cancels Scott's contract because Steve Williams is an idiot. You'd be a great CEO.

Gatorade cancelled his contract because nobody was buying his brand of G water. AT&T; is a service industry that probably weighed their options and erred on the side of caution.

As long as the Adam Scott brand is moving Scotty Cameron broomstick putters, he's golden.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Gatorade cancelled his contract because nobody was buying his brand of G water. AT&T; is a service industry that probably weighed their options and erred on the side of caution.

As long as the Adam Scott brand is moving Scotty Cameron broomstick putters, he's golden.

Maybe this can be brushed under the rug and we can move on.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by Grumpter

Media Outlook votes this one of best sports Halloween costumes of this year and there is no real public outcry (Other than 'why isn't their an outcry of this is racist. If it were a white guy in dressed as a black guy the $&$% would be hitting the fan').

Dwayne Wade dressed as Justin Timberlake

Then the same media outlet posts this the  very next day and the "racist" outcry begins (Raffi Torres dressed as Jay-Z).

If the only thing Stevie said was 'black $%^$'  then the public/media fail again.

Grumpter, you're being very naive to the historical connotations of blackface.  Blackface in the truest sense conjures up insulting stereotypes to our intelligence, abilities and vocabulary.  So for you to compare the media outrage of Steve's bitter, meatheaded comments to the outrage of people dressing in black/white face is inaccurate at best, out of order at worst.  BTW, That being said, neither of the examples mentioned are racist, one can tell when there's malicious intent involved.....neither of these examples matches.

Poor Steve Williams, since that infamous day when he won with Adam Scott everyone is trying to make him look as the devil on Earth, maybe this is the price for winning the breakup with Tiger?!?

• Administrator

Originally Posted by makaveli

Poor Steve Williams, since that infamous day when he won with Adam Scott everyone is trying to make him look as the devil on Earth, maybe this is the price for winning the breakup with Tiger?!?

Huh? Perhaps you meant that tongue in cheek, but since that time Stevie's behaved far worse than Tiger.

When Stevie was with Tiger people blamed Tiger for the way Stevie behaved. I think people are seeing now that perhaps some of that stuff was Stevie being Stevie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What Steve Williams said was not racist, nor was it a racial slur.  The fact that the golf "journalism" business has been in such an uproar over this comment says more about its sorry state than it does about Steve Williams.  Williams is a loud mouth.  So what?  Folks like Alan Shipnuck apparently have no clue what racism or bigotry actually is.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

Grumpter, you're being very naive to the historical connotations of blackface.  Blackface in the truest sense conjures up insulting stereotypes to our intelligence, abilities and vocabulary.  So for you to compare the media outrage of Steve's bitter, meatheaded comments to the outrage of people dressing in black/white face is inaccurate at best, out of order at worst.  BTW, That being said, neither of the examples mentioned are racist, one can tell when there's malicious intent involved.....neither of these examples matches.

Both (The Stevie comments and the Torres story) are examples of the media/public trying to pin the racist card on stories that had nothing to do with anyone being racist. I agree none of the examples, including Stevie's meathead comments, should have been taken as racist but that didn't stop some of the media/public from crying foul. Even you are trying to steer towards blackface/whiteface. It's nothing more than two professional athletes dressing up as people they admire for Halloween. The media/public cry racist way too often.

Originally Posted by majorchamp

In regards to how Tiger handles media/press conferences...he rarely steps out of bounds with his words. He might not be the moral compass for how to handle a marriage or a relationship, but he is a pro at conferences and never says a negative word about other players, caddy's, etc...

Lets clarify something. Nobody's ass was called black. He was called an *******. If you call ANYONE an ******* in any form of serious terms, its meant as an insult...even jokingly its an insult unless you are doing it with your close friends and they know your joking. If you call someone who is black a "black *******" you are purposely targeting a feature on their body and who they are as a form of pain.

Steve said it as a clarification to his comments 4 months ago during the celebration. And given the deep anger he holds toward Tiger, calling him a black ******* was not in jest or fun, it was intended.

So Stevie wasn't Tiger's close friend?  So majorchump you know for a fact What Stevie meant! You're good!  My opinion is Stevie is a good ole boy not accustom to being on stage and got a little rambuncious with his choice of words.....

Good suggestion, time to move on.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Maybe this can be brushed under the rug and we can move on.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by carrx

What Steve Williams said was not racist, nor was it a racial slur.  The fact that the golf "journalism" business has been in such an uproar over this comment says more about its sorry state than it does about Steve Williams.  Williams is a loud mouth.  So what?  Folks like Alan Shipnuck apparently have no clue what racism or bigotry actually is.

Both (The Stevie comments and the Torres story) are examples of the media/public trying to pin the racist card on stories that had nothing to do with anyone being racist. I agree none of the examples, including Stevie's meathead comments, should have been taken as racist but that didn't stop some of the media/public from crying foul. Even you are trying to steer towards blackface/whiteface. It's nothing more than two professional athletes dressing up as people they admire for Halloween. The media/public cry racist way too often.

Ugh, comments like these are so disappointing to read.

Originally Posted by FLOG4

Quote:

Originally Posted by majorchamp

In regards to how Tiger handles media/press conferences...he rarely steps out of bounds with his words. He might not be the moral compass for how to handle a marriage or a relationship, but he is a pro at conferences and never says a negative word about other players, caddy's, etc...

Lets clarify something. Nobody's ass was called black. He was called an *******. If you call ANYONE an ******* in any form of serious terms, its meant as an insult...even jokingly its an insult unless you are doing it with your close friends and they know your joking. If you call someone who is black a "black *******" you are purposely targeting a feature on their body and who they are as a form of pain.

Steve said it as a clarification to his comments 4 months ago during the celebration. And given the deep anger he holds toward Tiger, calling him a black ******* was not in jest or fun, it was intended.

So Stevie wasn't Tiger's close friend?  So majorchump you know for a fact What Stevie meant! You're good!  My opinion is Stevie is a good ole boy not accustom to being on stage and got a little rambuncious with his choice of words.....

Way to be an adult.

Constantine

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Tiger's loss of contracts had nothing to do with his caddy's behaviour.

Scott doesn't have to "refuse to fire Williams". At least stick to one story. Woods lost contracts because of Woods. Now you think that Titleist management is sitting there monitoring the sitiuation like NASA and preparing to withdraw sponsorship if the situation "escalates".

Get real.

You don't have to be an expert on anything to recognise that Titleist wouldn't even be considering tearing up Scott's contract. Nor would Rolex. Nor would Aquascutum.  As if...
If there is a contract that may be terminated, it would be Valvoline's with Williams. But I doubt it will happen.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

What's dissappointing, and has been for some time now, is the race card that gets played over things that have nothing to do with racist acts. Tiger is indeed black, Dwayne Wade likes Justin Timberlake and a Mexican/Peruvian NHL player likes Jay-Z/Beyonce. The more people blow non-racial things out of proportion the more racial tension it actually creates. Get over it already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

What's dissappointing, and has been for some time now, is the race card that gets played over things that have nothing to do with racist acts. Tiger is indeed black, Dwayne Wade likes Justin Timberlake and a Mexican/Peruvian NHL player likes Jay-Z/Beyonce. The more people blow non-racial things out of proportion the more racial tension it actually creates. Get over it already.

You get over it already. I don't need to be told to get over it.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!