IGNORED

Stevie Williams - Racist?

turtleback
Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Read his post in a sarcastic tone to get the joke.

Not end of story. You can call most people black. Many prefer it to African-American. You can't call people a "black *******" in the same way you might call someone a "stupid *******." It's the use of the adjective that is damning. Try it sometime the next time you're mad at a black guy who is a with a bunch of his friends out in a public and see what happens.

And of course, if you yourself are black and this is your opinion then I stand corrected. Obviously it varies between person to person. But many people were offended by the way he used the adjective "black," which was attached to the word "*******," and usually when you attach an adjective to that word with the intention of insulting someone, it's not used with a positive connotation. Unless you're talking to a friend whom you're just messing around with, such as "you smart *******, I love you for saving me from looking like an idiot in front of colleagues at that meeting."

What are you, racist?  Are you trying to imply all black people like to fight and resort to violence immediatly when they don't like someone or something they said?  Are you implying he'll get "jumped" by a "gang" of black guys for calling one of them "black ----?"  I honestly can't believe we are still stuck with this mentality in AmeriKKKa!  all you are doing is perpetuating the idea that all young black men are "Thugs" that will commit assault if "dissed."  I bet you hope stevie gets some "capps" in his white "a******"

ETA: i'm sure you'll come back and try to say you really aren't racist and have alot of black friends and therefore cant be racist but your true self has already shown itself to me.

Originally Posted by clubhousehero

What are you, racist?  Are you trying to imply all black people like to fight and resort to violence immediatly when they don't like someone or something they said?

To me it looks like you verbally proved the point you thought Jet was making, even though I think he did not really make.

Originally Posted by clubhousehero

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Read his post in a sarcastic tone to get the joke.

Not end of story. You can call most people black. Many prefer it to African-American. You can't call people a "black *******" in the same way you might call someone a "stupid *******." It's the use of the adjective that is damning. Try it sometime the next time you're mad at a black guy who is a with a bunch of his friends out in a public and see what happens.

And of course, if you yourself are black and this is your opinion then I stand corrected. Obviously it varies between person to person. But many people were offended by the way he used the adjective "black," which was attached to the word "*******," and usually when you attach an adjective to that word with the intention of insulting someone, it's not used with a positive connotation. Unless you're talking to a friend whom you're just messing around with, such as "you smart *******, I love you for saving me from looking like an idiot in front of colleagues at that meeting."

What are you, racist?  Are you trying to imply all black people like to fight and resort to violence immediatly when they don't like someone or something they said?  Are you implying he'll get "jumped" by a "gang" of black guys for calling one of them "black ----?"  I honestly can't believe we are still stuck with this mentality in AmeriKKKa!  all you are doing is perpetuating the idea that all young black men are "Thugs" that will commit assault if "dissed."  I bet you hope stevie gets some "capps" in his white "a******"

ETA: i'm sure you'll come back and try to say you really aren't racist and have alot of black friends and therefore cant be racist but your true self has already shown itself to me.

No I did not mean that at all. Sorry if you took it that way.

High road, here I come.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

That guy needs to keep his mouth shut! He's a real moron who thinks he's some kind of celebrity.  Just carry the bag and pace the yardage, let the players do the talking.

Totally agree.

Just read this article... http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2097468,00.html

It mentions how it simply becomes a topic nobody publicly really wants to talk about and I think the article does a great job of pointing that out. It noted how there was barely a peep on pgatour.com and sure enough I had noticed the same thing. The only point made was that the PGA Tour and Euro tour both felt it was a closed issue simply because he said "I am sorry" and that Steve will go unpunished.

I also didn't realize Tiger is now officially the only "black" golfer on the PGA Tour. So it kind of makes Steve's words a bit more harsh IMHO.

Fuss seems to have died down however with a potential Tiger vs Scott match up at some stage in the Presidents Cup, the pot is only on simmer.

From our main Sydney paper

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/steve-williams-exposed-as-a-profane-fool-20111107-1n2h4.html

Consensus out here is similar to the article, that he is someone who would be described as, "not the sharpest tool in the shed".

I would march him after the Preseidents Cup. Whatever the outcome piece he is / isn't, having him carrying on and trying to be the centre (sorry center) of attention cannot be a positive for Scott's game.

Scott and Tiger seem like they're going to be paired together for the Australian Open, this should be fun ;-) http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/should-scott-and-woods-be-paired-in-australia/ And Freddy says he would have fired Stevie http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/couples-says-hed-have-fired-williams/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

PGA Tour Confidential is out. I agree about what they all say about the situation.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2097475,00.html

Damon Hack, senior writer, Sports Illustrated : I'm disappointed in golf's tepid response but hardly surprised. As for Steve Williams, his comment was racist whether or not he is racist. It was an attempt to regain some semblance of power against someone he used to work for. It was a comment made to elevate himself and to put Tiger in his place in front of a roomful of peers. It disgusts me.

Constantine

Originally Posted by deasy55

"The dinner was attended by 100 caddies, players and guests and all had accepted their invitations on condition that they would not disclose what happened at the ceremony"

Shame that this story got out. I'd imagine there would have been a few things said that night just as bad

Oh.  Well I guess that makes it OK.

The reason I think it might indicate racism on his part is because someone who was not a racist wouldn't even think to go there.  If you want to criticize someone criticize him for something he has control over.  Say, "ram it up his egotistical arsehole", "ram it up his ungrateful arsehole", "ram it up his sleazy arsehole".  But playing the race card?  That just gives us insight into his real way of thinking, and the fact that for the second time he thinks that because it is supposed to be a closed to the media occasion he can say anything he likes makes it more damning, not less, IMO.

And if he said this after a few pints, well, you know what they say:  in vino veritas.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by franky21

Williams is a great caddie there is no doubt about that. But to say Williams made Tiger is just stupid. No need for me to say what Tiger has done in his career but to say Tiger would of done nothing without Williams is  just ridiculous..I just think people need to get over what he did to his wife and look at him as a golfer and forget what he did off of the golf course.

I think you need to send your sarcasm detector out for repair.

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by Malvern

When referring to Steve Williams or his new moniker, "Stevie", can we not associate the bonehead with being or having anything much to do with Australia. The "Full of Boneheads" sign went up years ago here, we don't need him.

Nobody was actually there to hear the context of how it was said, nevertheless as someone else pointed out its strike 2. Maybe if the players offerred anything other than formula sports speak this fool wouldn't have a forum.

No we weren't there.  But the reports that there was stunned silence and many jaws dropped shows us that it was not a benevolent or kidding, or funny context.  At the very least it was meant to be hurtful.

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by luu5

Only for those who for some reason care about the incident. Why should anyone give it any thought?

Yet here you are showing you care enough about the incident to participate in a discussion of it.

It is ludicrous to the point of irrationality to think that a comment like this will not draw a great deal of public attention.

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by mvmac

Scott and Tiger seem like they're going to be paired together for the Australian Open, this should be fun

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/should-scott-and-woods-be-paired-in-australia/

I'd love to know what made you draw that conclusion. The article asks if they should be paired, it doesn't say anything other than the usual "there are reports that...."

There is no way that they will  play together in the first two rounds.

It would be deliberately provocative and disrespectful towards Tiger Woods. At some point in the next year or so they may well end up playing together, but it won't happen soon because tournament organisers would make themselves look as bad as Steve Williams if they did, looking for a headline and cashing in on this whole ugly controversy.

It may happen at the Presidents Cup, but certainly not in the Australian Open

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by mvmac

And Freddy says he would have fired Stevie

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/couples-says-hed-have-fired-williams/

I don't believe for one minute Fred would have fired Joe for that comment. He may have suspended him for a tournament or two to reflect on what he had said, but he wouldn't have fired him.

The reason Fred has said this is to get Tiger on his side and playing for him at the upcoming President's Cup. Great captaincy if you ask me! Also, Fred has come under some pressure for picking Tiger, and not Bradley, and he needs to defend that decision by defending the player until the cows come home (or the Cup!).

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Strongly suspect that quite soon Stevie will be unemployed and even more bitter. Adam Scott may want this to just go away already, but it shows no signs of doing so and eventually someone with some clout (like, say, Wally Uihlein) is going to have a little word with him about enlightened self interest.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Taken from Adam Scott's Facebook page:

Quote:
I take this opportunity to address the comments that were made by my caddy, Steve Williams, at the Annual Caddy Awards Dinner this week in Shanghai, and the subsequent media reporting.
I want it made very clear that I do not support nor condone racism. I believe there is absolutely no room for racial discrimination in any walk of life, including the game of golf.
I have discussed this matter directly with Steve and he understands and supports my view on this subject. I also accept Steve's apology, knowing that he meant no racial slur with his comments.
On behalf of my team, I apologize personally to everyone that was offended by the reported comments. Please accept this apology so we can all move on.
I now consider the matter closed. I will not be making any further comment.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Scott has to have Stevie on a short leash.  He's becoming quite a distraction and I don't get the sense Scott is the type of guy that subscribes to the only bad publicity is no publicity.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!