IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

shot 46-48 yesterday on my short little course. Ok for me but not great. Only one round over 50 this year so I am improving although it's at a snails pace. Think I'm about due for a break through, if I can get the downswing part of my evolvr lesson nailed I think I'll see a nice jump in scoring.

Hacker question here, when I'm on the course should I be consciously trying to swing like I am when working on my evolvr lesson or just swinging back and through and trust my body to remember all the drilling? I was doing half and half yesterday which obviously doesn't help with consistency and lead to me getting into my head a little too much.

Main miss is a block, sometimes epic. Blocked two 5 irons in a row straight into the drink, WAY off line. I think possibly I'm not rotating all the way through when this happens but I'm not sure. Anyway, not gonna speculate on what I'm doing wrong, just gonna focus on doing things right. Preferably not BLOCKED right lol.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say that the time to be thinking about your swing is on the range. On the course, just think about the target and trust that the changes you've been making on the range are going to show up.

Blocks are path right and face open. Epic blocks are path way right and face way open. Face tends to map to path, so the closer you can swing to the target line, the less trouble you are generally going to have.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

You can think about your set-up. Make sure you set up the same on every shot. For me I can maybe think about one thought when actually swinging. But for the most part you just have to trust that muscle memory. Happy Farher's day BTW.
  • Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by cipher

You can think about your set-up. Make sure you set up the same on every shot. For me I can maybe think about one thought when actually swinging. But for the most part you just have to trust that muscle memory.

Happy Farher's day BTW.

Love ya buddy, but that's going straight to the spellin' thread.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Better than Happy Farter's day..........................sayin

Best regards,  Frank

:titleist: 913 D2 10.5*

:titleist: 913 F 17*

:titleist: 913 H 21*

:titleist: 716 AP1 4-P

:vokey:  SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

:odyssey: Tank Cruiser #7

:sunmountain: C-130

• Administrator

One swing thought is fine on the course.

Setup things don't count. They don't require any athletic skill whatsoever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would say that the time to be thinking about your swing is on the range. On the course, just think about the target and trust that the changes you've been making on the range are going to show up. Blocks are path right and face open. Epic blocks are path way right and face way open. Face tends to map to path, so the closer you can swing to the target line, the less trouble you are generally going to have.

[quote name="cipher" url="/t/54175/my-swing-ernest-jones/150#post_856299"]You can think about your set-up. Make sure you set up the same on every shot. For me I can maybe think about one thought when actually swinging. But for the most part you just have to trust that muscle memory. Happy Farher's day BTW.[/quote] [quote name="iacas" url="/t/54175/my-swing-ernest-jones/150#post_856434"]One swing thought is fine on the course. Setup things don't count. They don't require any athletic skill whatsoever. [/quote] Thanks guys. I knew all this already but sometimes you need someone else to say it just to make sure you haven't lost your mind. On course swing thought for now is just going to be to make sure that my hips turn back slower, otherwise I end up with my legs completely loaded before I've even reached A2.5. This is a good swing thought for me because it sets up the rest of my chain pretty well. In practice I'm playing around with the feel of having a connection between my lead knee and my arms, it feels like from A4-A6 my arms drop down at the same time/rate that my lead knee pushes out past my ankle. Once I get there I should be able to pivot as fast as I want...only have a handful of reps with this feel but I think it could be what I was looking for. Feels great slow but it's gonna take a little time getting comfortable with it at any kind of speed. I'd love to get a big mirror for immediate/realtime feedback for the slow motion mapping. It would be a great supplement to the camera work. Modest goal is too stay sub-100 for the rest of the season and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. I do think I'm on the cusp of a breakthrough, hit some awesome tee shots last time out. Still not using my driver but I'm close to (and sometimes out driving) my playing partners using a 3h and occasionally my 5w. End of the season reward will be a modern 3w or maybe a 4w. My current 5w is about 10 years old.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Just wanted to add to my last post with something I left out. Not so much for anyone reading but more for myself in case I refer back. From A4-A6 my arms come down in sync with the lead knee pushing forward (feels like my arm movement is pushing the knee) but I need to feel my hips staying back till around A5.5 or so. I left that out as it was obvious to me, it's the whole point of everything else I'm doing but it occurred to me that it may not be so obvious if I refer back to this post in a month or a year. So...fixed.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

God damn frustrating!!!!! Doing my Evolvr drill over and over and the god forsaken shaft WILL not lay down. I don't get it, last week I had it almost too flat, this week nada. It's getting in my head and causing me to stray from the drill, adding shit to try and get it to lay down. I'm a frustrated monkey right now! Gonna give it a few more sessions then I'll send in to Evolvr. Grrrrrrrrr..........

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Sorry about the rant. I'll be fine. Gotta do more reps and slower. I know this. Just ventilating a bit. :-D

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I believe in the Stupid Monkey post they talk about exaggerating the thing you're working on over and over again and your body learns to replicate something in the middle over time. Have you found this to be the case?

Sorry about the rant. I'll be fine. Gotta do more reps and slower. I know this. Just ventilating a bit. :-D

Yep slow it down bud. Just slow it way down an take the ball out completely. Just do it really, really slow a lot of times. You will get there.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

I believe in the Stupid Monkey post they talk about exaggerating the thing you're working on over and over again and your body learns to replicate something in the middle over time. Have you found this to be the case?

Absolutely. When I have the discipline to do this I can make some pretty big changes fast. They don't necessarily stick 100% beyond that session but 1 or 2% of the change will stick and you just keep building on that. Don't pay any attention to my previous rant, it was just that, a rant. Do a lot of slow reps of whatever Evolvr sends you and slowly build it up, if you start to lose it just slow back down again. Feel free to rant, it helped me regain focus. You should check out the threads on the improvement loop and the slow&specific; thread as well. I can't link from iPhone but maybe someone else will, otherwise just look in the Swing Thoughts forum. [quote name="cipher" url="/t/54175/my-swing-ernest-jones/150#post_857576"] Yep slow it down bud. Just slow it way down an take the ball out completely. Just do it really, really slow a lot of times. You will get there.[/quote] Yeah. It's all good, like I said, just ventilating a bit. A few non-golf related frustrations happened right before practice so I ended up just hitting balls as hard as I could. I actually hit some great shots but didn't make any progress with the changes I'm trying to make. My scores are trending downwards, my good shots are better than they used to be and, more importantly, my bad shots are WAY better than they used to be so I really shouldn't be complaining but the picture isn't where I want it to be. Anyway, it's all on me. I let outside influences change my practice routine and I wasted an hour beating balls when I know better. No biggie, I'll make up for it tonight.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Better than yesterday. Drills and slow motion.

Full speed in slow-motion (well you know what I mean )

All in all a much more productive session. Not there yet but definitely back on track. Camera kinda sagged over a bit.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I think Mike or Stephan as they have told me before would say you need to slow the "pump drilling" down more.  Try to force yourself to take at least three seconds from A4 to A6.  Mike can correct me if I am wrong about this, but I would have a better "feel" for what I was doing if it was much slower than in your drill.

Nate

Three seconds from A4 to A6? So is A5 just there so I can take a break and have a sip of my beer? Alright I slow it up.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Three seconds from A4 to A6? So is A5 just there so I can take a break and have a sip of my beer? Alright I slow it up.

Perfect. OK your next swing video needs to have a beer helmet in it. Take a nice sized sip at A5, and then proceed.

Nate

Just joking around. I'm actually one of the few guys I know who doesn't drink when golfing.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!