IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Couple swings from this morning. This first one I was only focusing on getting my trail knee to work towards the target. Seems to be improving but when I watched the video after I could see that I was coming OTT and cutting across the ball.

So I made some more swings with my focus on swinging to the right and instantly got better results with my path but the trail knee motion deteriorated a bit. So I think I need to pay more attention to my path and let the knee piece become secondary for now until I really groove that path to the point that I can still swing right without having to focus on it.

On the plus side I seem to have more or less eliminated (knock on wood) the standing up through impact that was plaguing me earlier in the year.

Clearly I have a ton of work to do over the winter.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

October 17 on the left and a swing from August 23 on the right.

Seem to have gotten my turning rates synched up better, my trail knee no longer jumps to completely straight right away.

My trail knee now retains some flex whereas it used to almost lock. Kind of hard to gauge some of this A4 stuff because my backswing is always a bit shorter in my basement, still, I'm surprised by the difference in the knees in these two swings.

Could be better but I'm close to being where I want. Both swings had my clubhead just inside or covering the hands at A6, working towards having it inside completely at A6 so I know it will draw.

Little better at banking the trail foot but lots of work to be done.

HUGE DIFFERENCE HERE!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

It freaks me out when people don't put the BEFORE on the left and the AFTER on the right.

I was trying to figure out how to be nice about saying that your new swing sucks. :) Then I went back and re-read the dates and where they were.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It freaks me out when people don't put the BEFORE on the left and the AFTER on the right. I was trying to figure out how to be nice about saying that your new swing sucks. :) Then I went back and re-read the dates and where they were.

Lol. I know, I realized as I was posting that it was bass ackwards. Sorry :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.

It freaks me out when people don't put the BEFORE on the left and the AFTER on the right.

I was trying to figure out how to be nice about saying that your new swing sucks. :) Then I went back and re-read the dates and where they were.

Oh God...I didn't even notice that. I was gonna post that his swing was looking worse, but didn't wanna be mean...also, I have no room to talk. lol

Good work, EJ!

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Nice changes bud.  Very nice.  I am not sure if anyone said it but you should put the before images on the left though... :-P

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

BASTIDS!!!!!!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

For me the key to getting a flatter shaft at A5 to A6 is using the right elbow properly. I have found that working the elbow in faster towards the belly button flattens the shaft quickly.

Just my 0.02

Thank you @mchepp

I have played around with that feel in the past and I'd love to get that elbow working like Jason Dufner's Hogan Move:

What kind of thought process do you have for this move? I kind of feel like if I could get the sense of the right elbow rolling under the left all the way through I would be able to hit that position but it's kinda scary because it feels like the face will be wide open! FORE RIGHT!!!!!  LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Start with the right elbow tucked in at address, feel the upper body turning the arms(which feel like they do nothing).

Nevermind EJ, this could just mess you up if it is not your priority piece.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Start with the right elbow tucked in at address, feel the upper body turning the arms(which feel like they do nothing).

Nevermind EJ, this could just mess you up if it is not your priority piece.

I actually have played around quite a bit with the sense of sliding my right elbow along my rib cage a la Stan Utley short game stuff, not using it as much anymore but it was an interesting process and I learned a few things about by back swing playing around with that.

This is probably skirting with :offtopic: so I'l move my ruminations to my swing thread .

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Oct.21 swings...2013. Playing around with the feeling of swinging up and out with the back of my left palm (watch if I wore one) and clubface facing the sky through A8. Seems to help with my path,

Starting to take it back to A2 a little better. Not yanking it WAY inside at any rate.

Much happier with my knees at this point. Everything with my lower body and knees used to be so abrupt and extreme.

This is as far as I'm going at A4 right now, things get a bit too chaotic if I take it back any further.

@mvmac mentioned in another thread that having a shaft that points beyond the golf ball at A5 is a good indicator of an in-to-out path. This is where I'm pointing this evening and I'm going to use this as my baseline and work towards extending it farther out, I assume that will result in more margin for error in my club path.

A6 with a circle over the clubhead. Not where I want it but it's in the ball park, if that was my miss I think I'd be alright.

@cipher told me to look at my clubhead 6" or so before impact to get a good idea of where my path is going. I think I traced this right, I think that's good but I don't always get it. Aiming at the 3 white balls for reference of an actual target line. Ball struck the sheet about halfway between the white balls and that black hanging target.

Somewhere around A7.5

Roughly A8. I don't follow through much more than that in my basement, hopefully that limitation won't **** me up next season.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Probably should have posted the impact image.

I think my hips are still way too square but I'm just going to keep working that priority piece and trust that it will lead to better hips. If it doesn't then I'll just have to deal with it when it reaches the top of my priority list.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Just want to take note of a feel before I forget it...

This evening I found it helpful to think of my body going two directions at once. My arms swinging out to the right and my hips spinning hard to the left, this seemed to get the right relationship of path (going right) and face (to the left of path).

Highly doubt this will be a feel I keep working with but it was an enlightening way to look at it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Thank you @mchepp

I have played around with that feel in the past and I'd love to get that elbow working like Jason Dufner's Hogan Move:

What kind of thought process do you have for this move? I kind of feel like if I could get the sense of the right elbow rolling under the left all the way through I would be able to hit that position but it's kinda scary because it feels like the face will be wide open! FORE RIGHT!!!!!  LOL.

I worked on a drill from Mr. Wedzik where he tied his right arm to his body. I start at about 50% on the backswing, then slow way down on the transition, then speed up again for the downswing. This is all sequencing work.

Here I am doing it into my net. My garage door with a wiffle ball.

Michael

I worked on a drill from Mr. Wedzik where he tied his right arm to his body. I start at about 50% on the backswing, then slow way down on the transition, then speed up again for the downswing. This is all sequencing work.

That's cool.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Thank you @mchepp

Yeah externally rotate the hell out of your right elbow.  The key here is NOT getting narrow with the right arm.  Here's a drill I filmed earlier this year, might film it again this week, couple things I don't like

This drill is very similar

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

That's nice Mike

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!