IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note:Β This thread is 2907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator
Super pitch elbow is over-rated. Seriously. There's a reason Dufner is famous for it.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My head is way more stable than it has ever been before and my backswing looks spot on but I still tend to have a little steepening move at transition with the club tipping out that I need to solve if I want to get my downswing working better.

Knees are generally working much better than in the past which should eventually translate to a better downswing. I can do it but only with lots of focus, I need to get it more or less automated so when I pick up a club and swing cold it comes from the inside, then I'll know I'm ready to move on. Pretty confident I'll get better results tonight when I have more time to review video and make corrections between swings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Super pitch elbow is over-rated.

Seriously. There's a reason Dufner is famous for it.

Yeah, pretty unique move abd not something I'm looking to emulate, lot of major winners didn't do it so it's obviously not a must. You gotta admit it's damn sexy though!

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Super pitch elbow is over-rated.

Seriously. There's a reason Dufner is famous for it.

Yeah, pretty unique move abd not something I'm looking to emulate, lot of major winners didn't do it so it's obviously not a must. You gotta admit it's damn sexy though!

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong.Β Β Although it is not necessarily something toΒ strive for, it can be a good visual for the feeling of correcting a path that is too much right to left(out to in).Β Β  Having an elbow with that much pitch is probably overrated, but it gives a good visual for a feeling that for some players could help with some issues and in feeling like they are doing it, even though they cannot, could help make some nice path changes.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

• Administrator

Get a really long stick, put it just outside the golf ball and near your right shoulder, and orient it up at an angle like this:

P.S. Yes, she's a bit too closed at A6.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Hit a few balls this morning before work. Back to OTT damnit. Didn't have a enough time to work on anything, just wanted to see how I'd look starting cold with no drills or warm up. Didn't look very good. :-P I'll have some time this evening to try and work it out.

Still not as good as the other day but got most of it back tonight. Erik's post about the long stick was helpful, didn't actually use the stick, just visualized it and that was enough to trick my body to come from the inside- ish . It's weird, it took all kinds of different feels tonight to get myself where I was the other day but once I was there it felt exactly the same! Trippy. B-)

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

A5

BEFORE ------------------------------------------------------------>>>> AFTER

Few days apart. The only thing that improved was the lighting in my practice area. :mad:

Much straighter lead arm in the before image and and slightly better everything. In the before image I was consiously rotating my arms clock-wise which seems to help with a straighter lead arm and a better elbow position. Everything I'm doing right now is geared towards a flatter, more inside-out path but success is fleeting. As soon as I find a feel that really gets me where I want to be it stops workingΒ the next day. I'm building quite the collection of feels!

I think that by being slightly more inside at A2 I get to a more laid off A3 which seems to carry over toΒ a better (one-plane) A4 and an A5 that isn't as steep, at least that is one of the primary differences I see between these two swings.

Need to revisit the watch to the sky feel which feels way open on the way down but if I fire my hips fast enough from A6 onwards I seem to "square" up reasonably well.

I like your dedication..keep at it..it will all come together real soon for you

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

Thanks.

I don't know why I look so different in these swings....

I mean, I kinda know but don't want to get caught up in it...I'm thinking it's a non-issue in terms of priorities, something to look at furtherΒ down the line. I hoping if I'm wrong about that Erik or Mike will tip me off.

BEFORE - OCT.20 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β AFTER - OCT.31

Totally different ...

There are some things about the before swing (white shirt) that I think I like better but towards the later stages of the swing they kinda end up the same. Shaft is flattening, back knee is traveling on a decent path and my head isn't popping up like deranged wack-a-mole. Really keying in on that feeling of swinging my arms way out to the right and turning my hips and torso hard to the left through impact. Trying to finish every swing with my hips fully turned so that my bellybutton is pointingΒ left of the target. Seems to really help with path and weight shift. Still miles away from where I need to be but I'm thinking that I'm heading in the right direction in terms of what I need to work on over the winter.

Played on sunday, hit some of my best shots ever. Really felt I was maintaining my inclination to the ground all the way through impactΒ and my ball was going EXACTLY where I wanted it to go. Went on a stretch of pars where my swing just got better and better, my usually playing partners were stunned by my tee shots and approaches.

Then the wheels fell off completely!!

Last three holes I was hitting what can only be described as shank-slices. Huge +/- 45* pushes that would slice :bugout: I thought some of these ****ing things were going to literally hit me in the back of the head FFS. Ran out of holes before I could figure out what the hell was going on.

Not gonna sweat it, probably couldn't do that again if I tried. :no:

Played on sunday, hit some of my best shots ever. Really felt I was maintaining my inclination to the ground all the way through impactΒ and my ball was going EXACTLY where I wanted it to go. Went on a stretch of pars where my swing just got better and better, my usually playing partners were stunned by my tee shots and approaches.

Then the wheels fell off completely!!

Last three holes I was hitting what can only be described as shank-slices. Huge +/- 45* pushes that would sliceΒ Β I thought some of these ****ing things were going to literally hit me in the back of the head FFS. Ran out of holes before I could figure out what the hell was going on.

Not gonna sweat it, probably couldn't do that again if I tried.

Did you start to get tired?Β  I tend to start to push shots and risk hitting a shank when I get tired.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

Did you start to get tired?Β  I tend to start to push shots and risk hitting a shank when I get tired.

Yeah maybe. It seems when I don't rotate all the way through, so that my belt buckle is facing left of the target at the finish, I hit a push, and when I get tired this starts to happen but I was really focusing on making sure I pivoted all the way through because it was giving me such good results.

Anyway, I think I just need to file and forget. My good shots were awesome so that is what I'm taking away from his season.

:-D

Yeah maybe. It seems when I don't rotate all the way through, so that my belt buckle is facing left of the target at the finish, I hit a push, and when I get tired this starts to happen but I was really focusing on making sure I pivoted all the way through because it was giving me such good results.

Anyway, I think I just need to file and forget. My good shots were awesome so that is what I'm taking away from his season.

Yeah file and forget is probably best.Β  Sometimes when you get tired the arms get left behind and things can get pushy.

Nate

Like cipher said, being tired and phisically exhausted really affects your golf swing: from turning fuly to just the plane.

I know that right now my body has 14 holes (4 months of inactivity has its price)Β of good golf in it and i tend to get out of juice inΒ in the final stretch: i stop turning fully and i use a more "armsy" swing, that does not produce good shots (pushes, lack of power and big fades).

By the way: great dedication you have!!! It will come together for sure!

Francesco Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 8.5* PX Tour 7C3 6.0 - Wood: :titleist: 910 F.d 15* PX Tour 8C4 6.0 - Hybrid: :titleist: 910H 19* PX Tour HD2 6.0 - Irons: :titleist: ZB Forged 4-PW S300 - Wedges: :vokey: 52*.08, 56*.11, 60*.04 - Putter: :titleist: Studio Select Newport 2 35" - Ball: :titleist: ProV1x - Bag: :titleist: Midsize Staff - :bushnell: Tour V2

By the way: great dedication you have!!! It will come together for sure!

Christ I hope so!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

GOD DAMNIT!

Uh oh, what happened?

Nate

Note:Β This thread is 2907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!