IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Shoulders getting a little too tilt-y here in transition, gonna work on that a bit tonight. I'm getting to the point where the club shallowing is becoming the norm instead of the exception. Maybe soon I can move on to a new priority piece. I'm pretty sure I'm way too closed but I'll tackle that once I really have the this path nailed down. I wish I had a better space to practice in.

These two A5s were taken 3 days apart, so different looking but they both get the club shallow and coming from the inside so I guess I don't care about the other stuff for now.

I like the one on the left but I don't know shit sooo….

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Couple of things I see:

1) Your head is so far down that you can't rotate your shoulders under it. Probably limits your ability to get full rotation.

2) You lift your right foot well before impact, almost at the start of your downswing. This could be leading to inconsistent contact. I know it does for me. Check out some videos of the pros and you'll see that they routinely don't lift their back foot until after contact.

Just my thoughts. Take them for what they're worth.

• Upvote 1

Couple of things I see:

1) Your head is so far down that you can't rotate your shoulders under it. Probably limits your ability to get full rotation.

2) You lift your right foot well before impact, almost at the start of your downswing. This could be leading to inconsistent contact. I know it does for me. Check out some videos of the pros and you'll see that they routinely don't lift their back foot until after contact.

Just my thoughts. Take them for what they're worth.

Thanks. I agree on both points. I've been aware of the back foot issue for a while now and @JetFan1983 was making fun of my head just the other day! :-P

I just want to makes sure I have that shallowing club grooved in really well before I tackle anything else because I know it's going to go back to steep once I stop focusing on it. I'm also painfully aware that I'm achieving the shallowing move the wrong way, closed body and probably too much early extension so it's going to be a rude awakening when I start to address those things.

For now I'm just happy to be hitting from the inside on a more or less consistent basis. I should probably mix in some "toes up" drills to try to get that foot to bank more.

Thanks for taking a look.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Thanks. I agree on both points. I've been aware of the back foot issue for a while now and @JetFan1983 was making fun of my head just the other day!

You misread what I wrote. I was actually just making fun of the shape of your head and the thoughts and ideas it produces... my comment had nothing to do with your golf swing :banana:

Constantine

That's not actually my head, it's a fake head I use as a training aid.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Your forcing the hogan roll. Has to happen naturally. If your steep..than your steep..not the end of the world. Your a high handicap..worry about contact first..swing will happen as you learn solid contact 1st

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

Your forcing the hogan roll. Has to happen naturally. If your steep..than your steep..not the end of the world. Your a high handicap..worry about contact first..swing will happen as you learn solid contact 1st

Well it sure was a good thing I fixed my battle with the shanks by magically finding the center of the face rather than fixing my swing. I would not want to fix the swing to fix the contact for sure.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Yeah that post was a head scratcher. I am forcing myself to be flatter, but maybe force is the wrong term maybe working with exaggerated feels would less negative sounding. The point is, if I don't exaggerate this move and just work on contact I tip way out and cut across the ball. The shallowing move is becoming more natural and less forced everyday, I know I need to fix some things, Harmonious' post above is bang on IMO but at the end of the day I HAVE to fix that piece because steep, in my case, pretty much guarantees out and across.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

@Ernest Jones ,

You are not taking into account the Coriolis Effect with respect to the longitude and latitude of Montreal and its impact on the Hogan roll.  Montreal is at 45° 30' 0" N / 73° 35' 0" W.  Because of this the Hogan roll will be less pronounced.  You need to move closer to the Tropic of Cancer to improve your contact.  BUT, do not go south of the equator.  Otherwise the opposite effect will happen.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks @boogielicious your post above is inspirational.

Today I'm going to spend some time on getting my foot to bank properly, hopefully without losing the progress I've made with the "hogan roll"*. I think now that I have a really good feel for what that shaft is doing I should be able to incorporate better foot work. Just have to keep that right forearm rolling under the left one or feel the clubhead falling constantly.

* I can't believe I'm actually using this term now, but hey, why not.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

Joking or not, you've always had the tendency to:

1. Work on too many things at once.
  2. Move on to another thing before you're ready.

If you were here in person we'd probably go back three steps in speed, what you're working on, and other things. Probably not what you want to hear, but… #toughlove :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yep, that's me alright. @iacas it's not a matter of what I want to hear but rather a matter of what I need to do to improve so I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• 1 month later...

Went to a golf dome yesterday to hit balls for the first time since the season ended. Total disaster, I 've clearly led myself down the wrong path and have moved away from what has been working. Back to the drawing board...

I almost wonder if practicing in my basement is doing more harm than good. Very disheartening but at least I have several months to try and get back to what was working. Yuck.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Went to a golf dome yesterday to hit balls for the first time since the season ended. Total disaster, I've clearly led myself down the wrong path and have moved away from what has been working. Back to the drawing board...

I almost wonder if practicing in my basement is doing more harm than good. Very disheartening but at least I have several months to try and get back to what was working. Yuck.

What do you mean by total disaster?  Where you spraying the ball in every other direction or where you just shanking everything?  Obviously I'm still working on my swing as well, and I hate to regress, but don't let too many negative thoughts take over.

I think it would be helpful to just take a sand wedge and just go to the range and just hit 40 yrd - 50 yrd pitch shots trying to get them all in the same 10 yrd circle.. taking nice and compact half swings, with a good body pivot.. If you go out there and you can't get good contact on the ball then there is something else in play, but if you are able to do this fine, then maybe your hurrying your self too much on the full swing?  Either way.. I'm sure you'll be back!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

What do you mean by total disaster?  Where you spraying the ball in every other direction or where you just shanking everything?  Obviously I'm still working on my swing as well, and I hate to regress, but don't let too many negative thoughts take over.

I think it would be helpful to just take a sand wedge and just go to the range and just hit 40 yrd - 50 yrd pitch shots trying to get them all in the same 10 yrd circle.. taking nice and compact half swings, with a good body pivot.. If you go out there and you can't get good contact on the ball then there is something else in play, but if you are able to do this fine, then maybe your hurrying your self too much on the full swing?  Either way.. I'm sure you'll be back!

Yeah, I just need to go back over my notes and remember the things that had me playing well last season. I think I've just become too obsessed over certain elements and have come up with goofy ways to achieve them that ultimately have lead to an unplayable swing. If I had to guess I'd say I've been forcing myself to come in too much from the inside and too underplane . I'm just going to go back and review my Evolvr lessons and try to undo the damage I've done and start fresh.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Yeah, I just need to go back over my notes and remember the things that had me playing well last season. I think I've just become too obsessed over certain elements and have come up with goofy ways to achieve them that ultimately have lead to an unplayable swing. If I had to guess I'd say I've been forcing myself to come in too much from the inside and too underplane. I'm just going to go back and review my Evolvr lessons and try to undo the damage I've done and start fresh.

I'm assuming your priority piece is geared towards improving Key# 4?

If that is the case then you are already more than halfway there with Key#1/2/3 all under wraps... I'm sure you'll be fine..

Oh and the set up you have.. I can only wish that I had something like that :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I'm assuming your priority piece is geared towards improving Key# 4?

If that is the case then you are already more than halfway there with Key#1/2/3 all under wraps... I'm sure you'll be fine..

Oh and the set up you have.. I can only wish that I had something like that :)

Yep,  priority piece is in key#4 but that doesn't mean I'm great at keys 1-3, it just means my 1-3 don't suck as much as my #4.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

On full speed swings I'm immediately banking my right foot onto its instep while simultaneously bringing my arms down to A6, this really gets the weight forward. Trying to get the foot to finish banking at the same instant as my hands reach their address position then just pivot left as fast as I can. Still not very open at impact but it's really helping with the path and I think if I keep at it and just focus on my priority piece (path) I'll slowly start to see more open hips at impact as a side effect.

I think I have to get back to here ^^^^. Somewhere shortly after this post I found a way to cheat and lost sight of everything else going in my swing. Nothing is easy in this process so next time I think I've found a magic bullet I'll be far more careful. **** I'm stupid. :doh:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!